Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

Oh wow, the new format was horrible! Some of those questions (especially the numerical) were so confusing - it was too much to comprehend in one, short sitting. I don't feel like I got any of them right. :/

I'm never sure how it's relevant to be able to do quick percentage/ratio maths in your head in 15 minutes - in the real world, you're never going to be under that sort of pressure to get answers.

I don't think I'll be hearing anything positive after that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KilkennyCat77

Daz_ wrote: »
    What do people feel is a good time to finish both numerical and verbal in ? Provided answers correct etc

15 mins verbal, 20 to 25 mins numerical if you are handy with maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

Does anybody have a copy of the information booklet?
    It appears to have disappeared off the website since the competition closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Daz_ wrote: »
    What do people feel is a good time to finish both numerical and verbal in ? Provided answers correct etc

Well each question is timed separately

1 minute per question for the verbal reasoning and 1.5 minutes per question for the numerical reasoning would be considered good.

I reckon the results will be on Average time taken so if you did one quick and one slow that may balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Etray reviewer

Already an EO here and veteran of these exams to just to keep up to date with the latest exams used by the Civil Service in prep for future comps etc. Have to say, that was a bizarre, confusing and unclear exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

The most bizarre test experience I've encountered in a long time. Answered the verbal questions in about 15 mins but not confident afterwards. Realised I erred on one question but couldn't correct it. Felt like there were too many 'Cannot Say' answers. Numerical test took me 40 mins but probably docked points for being too slow. Pleased I had matching answers but I could have miscalculated as maths not my strong point. Miracle if I get to eTray stage which sounds like another nightmare. Best of luck everyone!

Took me 35 on numerical. I'd rather do it slow and right or not do it at all. I hate rushing things, it's been the downfall of many. In saying that I'm sure I got a couple wrong as I had to guess on 2 of them or I'd be over an hour.

Just a passenger

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Finally did the tests earlier this evening, Definitely dont feel confident about it.
    As other people have said I also found in the verbal i dont think i said True at all and most of mine were False/Cannot Say. Numerical was pretty pants, think I had 1 or 2 that I feel were correct but majority of them were just a quick guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭VitreousLife

Actually so annoyed with myself over those tests.
    The maths was so unbelievably difficult and there was no need for it to be 🙄

Best of luck to everyone anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭VitreousLife

Finally did the tests earlier this evening, Definitely dont feel confident about it.
    As other people have said I also found in the verbal i dont think i said True at all and most of mine were False/Cannot Say. Numerical was pretty pants, think I had 1 or 2 that I feel were correct but majority of them were just a quick guess.

Pretty much the exact same as how I answered them myself! And if the camera / microphone were recording the whole time I’m sure they heard a swear word or two from me haha

Good luck :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Pretty much the exact same as how I answered them myself! And if the camera / microphone were recording the whole time I’m sure they heard a swear word or two from me haha

Good luck :)

Yea if they recorded the whole thing im pretty sure i looked up at the mirror behind the laptop once or twice.

Surely if they recorded the whole thing then what was the point on the 2 other recordings to prove it was still you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Got it done. Verbal in about 15 mins but the numerical took 35 mins. Found both ok but the math do need time to calculate numbers and TBH the maths definitely got harder as they went on. Verbal had some wobblers and were defo "can't say" but hey it's all experience. Never fear going forward if you already fear what you'll leave behind. Good luck everyone.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marmo1986

Completed whole thing in 40 mins, surprisingly found it fine and was very happy with the numerical which is strange for me! Really worried about the recording as I’m not sure the picture was clear of my passport with me, scanned the room each time but found it all very new. Will be raging if I get disqualified over this. Passed the interview last time but failed the e tray by two marks, need some luck! Best of luck everyone, results should be out in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Just completed mine a while ago. For context I’m a 21 year old business student so fairly used to maths/statistics and exam style questions.

Found verbal quote vague, many of my answers were cannot say and I felt like some of the statements were extremely vague and could have had multiple answers. I’m still quite optimistic though.

With numerical I think I got lucky considering last semester I studied an applied business statistics module. I struggled with a maybe 3 questions where my answer didn’t match the options, and another question where I realised my mistake after I had already answered. Other than that I didn’t feel like it was overly tasking.

That being said, this is my first time doing a test like this so I can’t compare to previous campaigns, and maybe I was just doing so poorly that I was getting easier questions every time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I found the numerical tests reasonably ok, there were some very tough ones in the middle, so I don't know if that influences what they ask after it. They were mostly asking the same type of calculation 5 different ways. Had it been timed, not a hope of completing it.

The verbal test was much harder I think. The maths ones generally have an answer and you can tell if you're wrong if it's nowhere near the options given. The deciding line between false or cannot say for those statements was clouded at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bamboozled2410

I did the tests last night. Much the same as you all the I found the verbal tough but manageable in the time and most definitely went way over in the maths with a few educated guesses! I am coming from the financial sector where I have done plenty of exams and 2 degrees. I guess when maths questions are related to your job there is a level of understanding that I just plain did not have with these ones. I let myself get overwhelmed which made my brain just shut down! From what I gather these tests are the standard in the public service so I will make sure I'm ready for the next campaign because unless pigs start flying today......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The whole thing wasnt recorded. My webcam shows an activity light when recording is happening and the light only activated for those room check parts. The rest of the time you weren't recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just realised that at the end of my test, I turned my head to the left cause I heard the wife coming in the front door downstairs and that of course was when the camera started recording. So I'm probably disqualified for looking the other way for a brief second :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Rikand wrote: »
    Just realised that at the end of my test, I turned my head to the left cause I heard the ex-wife coming in the front door downstairs and that of course was when the camera started recording. So I'm probably disqualified for looking the other way for a brief second :)

I fixed that problem for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Rikand wrote: »
    Just realised that at the end of my test, I turned my head to the left cause I heard the wife coming in the front door downstairs and that of course was when the camera started recording. So I'm probably disqualified for looking the other way for a brief second :)

I'm pretty sure everyone is overreacting about the recording and almost nobody will be disqualified because of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Govannan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure everyone is overreacting about the recording and almost nobody will be disqualified because of it.

It says in the literature that it's not looked at until stage 3, so it's nothing to worry about at this stage anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Reading people's reactions in this thread had me really nervous and sure I would barely get through it, but it wasn't all that bad. Got through the verbal in ten minutes and was only unsure on about 2 or 3 questions (obviously could have messed up majorly but didn't feel like I did). Numerical did take much longer (about 30 mins) but I only felt completely overwhelmed on about 2 questions.

EDIT: Overall, I'd say I felt very confident on about a third of my answers, a bit less confident on another third, and not very confident on another third.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

My experience pretty much echoes that of a lot of people on here. A lot of 'cannot say' answers in the verbal and the numerical was very tricky in parts. Both were certainly a lot tougher than previous EO tests. Waiting game now.

Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

Govannan wrote: »
    Reading people's reactions in this thread had me really nervous and sure I would barely get through it, but it wasn't all that bad. Got through the verbal in ten minutes and was only unsure on about 2 or 3 questions (obviously could have messed up majorly but didn't feel like I did). Numerical did take much longer (about 30 mins) but I only felt completely overwhelmed on about 2 questions.

EDIT: Overall, I'd say I felt very confident on about a third of my answers, a bit less confident on another third, and not very confident on another third.

My experience was almost identical to yours. Im a first timer in these competitions. Does anyone know do we get our oom next? or is it e-tray next and average of all the tests depicts our oom? Also ive been following another EO thread (dublin only) the people on that seem to have their oom from a previous comp and are being called for interviews now? is that how it works ie u get ur oom and sit on a panel til your no comes up and youre not interviewed until then??

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

fionnr01 wrote: »
    My experience was almost identical to yours. Im a first timer in these competitions. Does anyone know do we get our oom next? or is it e-tray next and average of all the tests depicts our oom? Also ive been following another EO thread (dublin only) the people on that seem to have their oom from a previous comp and are being called for interviews now? is that how it works ie u get ur oom and sit on a panel til your no comes up and youre not interviewed until then??

There are several ooms throughout the process.
    Likely once these tests are complete people who passed will be given an oom and brought to next stage or stages. You may receive ooms with those stages too and pas will bring X amount forward at a time.

Eventually if you successfully complete interview stage you will be placed on a panel and given an oom then too. You will be assigned as your oom number comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

When the 20 second count down for the recorder came on I read that my desk had to be completely clear and I think that's when I gave up because my "desk" is the kitchen table and the whole room currently looks like a bomb hit it... So I'm guessing I was disqualified from the outset for not prepping accordingly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

gestappo wrote: »
    That’s interesting you found the verbal that bit easier - How were the numerical questions in relation to jobtestprep?

Around the same I think-the practices were
    difficult enough on jobprep too. Quite tough. The verbal reasoning is something I enjoy though, so perhaps that's why I took to it a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

I think everyone needs to relax re recording etc, no one will be disqualified. It's not like we could do a practice run first. There is so much reading it's distracting. Once you show ID and it's matches it will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

I did a free practise E-tray this morning online. I think it was on the assessment centre website. I had never done anything like it before so went in blind just to see what I felt about it. It was a scaled back version with four emails to answer. I got scored 50%. Not sure how positive or negative that is in the grand scheme of things but I'm planning to practise more. Does anyone have website recommendations for practising on?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Anyone know can you have a piece of paper and pen and a calculator on your table in the test?

Havent had a chance to do it yet and typical have a migraine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Madra Maith

Anyone know can you have a piece of paper and pen and a calculator on your table in the test?

Havent had a chance to do it yet and typical have a migraine!!

Yes.

Advertisement