Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

LM4C wrote: »
    Where is this advertised

Publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Got the survey email and filled it in. I expect it to be my last action in this recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MuchZeus

newbraces wrote: »
    Did you receive it after? Maybe ur successful and they’re sending it to all of us who weren’t???

i received it a few hours after that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BellaCiao

Does anyone know how the rules on civil servants and political involvement works?

I've recently completed my undergrad in history and politics and was doing an internship with a politician for 3 months before this campaign began. I'm not a member of any political party and this has been my only involvement so far, unfortunately only came across this competition and applied for it after the fact. Does it only apply after you become a civil servant or would this experience basically rule me out?

It's probably not going to be as relevant for this campaign after the disaster of a maths test but would be useful to know for the next one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

BellaCiao wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the rules on civil servants and political involvement works?

I've recently completed my undergrad in history and politics and was doing an internship with a politician for 3 months before this campaign began. I'm not a member of any political party and this has been my only involvement so far, unfortunately only came across this competition and applied for it after the fact. Does it only apply after you become a civil servant or would this experience basically rule me out?

It's probably not going to be as relevant for this campaign after the disaster of a maths test but would be useful to know for the next one!!

Past involvement won't matter, but I think any grade above CO is barred from continuing political activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

It's worrying that you're joining the civil service and that you've completed your studies of history and POLITICS but don't know basic of the rules regards the civil service and politics. Further education and study is required I'm afraid
    https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/finance/2009/09.pdf

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    It's worrying that you're joining the civil service and that you've completed your studies of history and POLITICS but don't know basic of the rules regards the civil service and politics. Further education and study is required I'm afraid

This is an unnecessarily rude reply to a simple question. I'm sure universities don't go through DPER circulars on the syllabus. The phrase 'if you've nothing nice to say... ' springs to mind.

To answer the original question, OP you will have nothing to worry about. It is only if you are a serving civil servant the rules apply. Use your education and internship experience to your advantage should you get to interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Ridiculous and juvenile thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Do you feel better about yourself now or at least feel a little superior? It's not in the least bit worrying that the OP "don't know basic of the rules regards the civil service and politics" as you so incorrectly put it. Further education and study is required I'm afraid". For you that is.

Apologies for stooping to your level Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mulligja

Hey, would have further questions to political activity. This circular talks a lot about party political activity, would it also be possible to be involved in something like a protest or be active in an NGO? Granted that it's not something directly related to the department someone's working at.

Does anyone currently working in CS know of people who continued to be involved in party politics that were above clerical officer? What was the reaction if this was then discovered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭belgowho

Question on SOVA tests you all did, was it Verbal, Numerical, and Situational only? Or was there a personality test added?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

belgowho wrote: »
    Question on SOVA tests you all did, was it Verbal, Numerical, and Situational only? Or was there a personality test added?

Thanks!

Yeah, personality also.

"You are good at pretending to have the correct personality for this job."

"Hmmmm...strongly agree"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

mulligja wrote: »
    Hey, would have further questions to political activity. This circular talks a lot about party political activity, would it also be possible to be involved in something like a protest or be active in an NGO? Granted that it's not something directly related to the department someone's working at.

Does anyone currently working in CS know of people who continued to be involved in party politics that were above clerical officer? What was the reaction if this was then discovered?

"Active in a protest" well, it depends on the protest...
    Getting your name taken for obstructing a Garda, any bit of a kerfuffle, anything that gets on Pulse will stymie a job in Justice, Gardai, Customs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

You've nothing to worry about. I had a long history of political activity and I was open about it on my application form and I used examples from it in the interview, there was no issue what so ever. I recently started as an EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

mulligja wrote: »

There are many people at different levels in the PS who are active in campaigns, it isn't permitted above CO level but it happens, there's a risk that it can come back to haunt you.

I knew someone at PO level you was active in politics but they had to stop because they were always looking over their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Past involvement won't matter, but I think any grade above CO is barred from continuing political activity.

I think this is pretty much accurate for Public Service anyway. One of my good friends is a local Cllr and a CO in Public Service. If he goes for promotion and gets it, he has to step down as Cllr.
    It also depends on what you mean by political activity - helping a Cllr or TD canvas is one thing but holding a position of Cllr or TD would definitely be a no no above CO level

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

redmgar wrote: »
    Taking a random guess, I would say we will get the results on the 16th @16:59.
    gestappo wrote: »
    I'll go with the 9th @ 16.45
    I will say on Tuesday 6th @ 12.55 😁

One guess down, 2 more to go

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Its always a Friday COB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭StevenToast

One guess down, 2 more to go

Expecting something today according to gestappo

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Fingers crossed for results to be released today. The clerical officer panel is moving so slowly. I'm hoping this moves a bit faster

I have to be honest; the curiosity of how bad I did at those assessments is niggling away me now.

I have to be honest; the curiosity of how bad I did at those assessments is niggling away me now.
    I would say more people pass than think they will, the bar is really low :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

Do we just need to pass the numerical to move on? Im assuming i passed the rest finger crossed...Here's hoping for low bar... Im hoping forca bare pass but wondering also would a bare pass mean Id be so far down the order of merit id have no chance of getting an actual position??? What are people's experiences/toughts??

Time will tell :pac:

fionnr01 wrote: »
    Do we just need to pass the numerical to move on? Im assuming i passed the rest finger crossed...Here's hoping for low bar... Im hoping forca bare pass but wondering also would a bare pass mean Id be so far down the order of merit id have no chance of getting an actual position??? What are people's experiences/toughts??
    You need to pass both to progress, but the verbal and stage 1a are the only ones used for your placing on the order of merit.

If you are low in the order of merit, it could be a long wait for the full process. Up to 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sadsoul

I too just want put out of my misery! Hopefully today ðŸ˜

You need to pass both to progress, but the verbal and stage 1a are the only ones used for your placing on the order of merit.

If you are low in the order of merit, it could be a long wait for the full process. Up to 2 years.

I don't know if that is true for this year - in previous years, you would only need 8 correct answers in the numerical assessment for a pass, but this year there was mention of it in the info booklet.

Yeah this is all based on previous years, so could be changed this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

This doesn't make any sense and I suspect it's not the case this year. Why develop an adaptive test for numerical if the objective is just to pass a single threshold instead of being able to rank candidates?

Advertisement