Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Do you to have include leaving cert results if you satisfy the educational requirement with a level 7 or above?

It's been so long I dont know where my leaving results are or even if I still have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jay328 wrote: »
    Do you to have include leaving cert results if you satisfy the educational requirement with a level 7 or above?

It's been so long I dont know where my leaving results are or even if I still have them.

When I applied for CO, I never included on the application form that I had a leaving cert... just put down all my college stuff degree/masters etc...

When it came to the day of the interview, all was going grand and then they said they had just one last question :: " Do you have a leaving cert ? "

So yeah, I would say you should write down that you have one at least. If you want to make your application safe and want to include your results as it does state they are needed in the reqs then go to www.examinations.ie, click on the box on the right hand side " Statement of results and examination certificates " and click to get a statement of results which costs 14.50. Best 14.50 you'll ever spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Dario Unimportant Sink

Rikand wrote: »
    When I applied for CO, I never included on the application form that I had a leaving cert... just put down all my college stuff degree/masters etc...

When it came to the day of the interview, all was going grand and then they said they had just one last question :: " Do you have a leaving cert ? "

So yeah, I would say you should write down that you have one at least. If you want to make your application safe and want to include your results as it does state they are needed in the reqs then go to www.examinations.ie, click on the box on the right hand side " Statement of results and examination certificates " and click to get a statement of results which costs 14.50. Best 14.50 you'll ever spend
    i had my junior cert just in case when i went for the interview of the C/O but they never asked about it...just my work career

Or if you dont want to spend that money - go back to your school and they'll give you a copy...thats what i did

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

i had my junior cert just in case when i went for the interview of the C/O but they never asked about it...just my work career

Or if you dont want to spend that money - go back to your school and they'll give you a copy...thats what i did

I dont no what the situation is with schools at the minute with everything going on but that would be handy. I might just order them online and if they dont come before the submission date I will just put that I completed the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Clare122445

hi just wanted to confirm if there will be a competency form?

I saw a post say there wouldn't, just wanted to double check with anyone who did this competition last time as to what the stages are

From the YouTube video on the role they advised stage 1 would be issued around the 17th aug which would be an online questionnaire, I presume the statement and the like me not like etc round.

They also stated on the video they envisage the panel being formed and first placements in November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gestappo

Anyone else guessing the first round of placements will be for DEASP!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Clare122445

gestappo wrote: »
    Anyone else guessing the first round of placements will be for DEASP!?
    I wouldn't think so, the panel get called upon as and when the HR departments request people.

It would completely depend on when the vacancies become available

There was a 2% pay increase due in October, I would imagine there was a large amount of people holding out to have that increase their pension.

If that still goes ahead with covid either way I imagine big numbers going, and hopefully many vacancies

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jammy2020

As far as I know your tco experience is counted towards service when you are applying interdepartmental.

Just a query and asking for clarification, if you have more that 24 months working in CS - as a TCO and as CO, can you still go for it if you clarify on all other points. I am in my current role as a CO for 17 months and I have over 12 months as TCO - went from a TCO straight in to CO without a break.

Also, can any one please clarify the difference between level 6 and 7? I always thought that 6 was advanced diploma and 7 was first year of a degree?

Thank you.

I wouldn't think so, the panel get called upon as and when the HR departments request people.

It would completely depend on when the vacancies become available

There was a 2% pay increase due in October, I would imagine there was a large amount of people holding out to have that increase their pension.

If that still goes ahead with covid either way I imagine big numbers going, and hopefully many vacancies

Not disputing all that info above BUT the DEASP are crying out for staff. They’ve recalled a lot of mobility transfers and used redeployment from other departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the 2 years as a CO can be from previous service. I am just over 1 year at CO but was able to carry over local authority service for point on the salary scale.

Yes it can. I have asked PAS this question specifically in previous comps. Your service requirement only needs to be cumulative - so you can stitch together your time on previous public sector contracts, tco time included, whether or not there have been breaks between them etc.

EDIT: Just to note that you may need to EVIDENCE prior service, so if you don't already have them, obtain letters from previous dept. HR sections confirming your start and end dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Not disputing all that info above BUT the DEASP are crying out for staff. They’ve recalled a lot of mobility transfers and used redeployment from other departments.

What do you mean by recalled mobility transfers? If you moved department a year ago they can call you back?
    UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Yes it can. I have asked PAS this question specifically in previous comps. Your service requirement only needs to be cumulative - so you can stitch together your time on previous public sector contracts, tco time included, whether or not there have been breaks between them etc.

EDIT: Just to note that you may need to EVIDENCE prior service, so if you don't already have them, obtain letters from previous dept. HR sections confirming your start and end dates.

Only time in civil service would count for promotion I'd have thought

doc22 wrote: »
    What do you mean by recalled mobility transfers? If you moved department a year ago they can call you back?

Over a year ago then no, anyone they could call back they have. I know a few COs who finally got out of DEASP on mobility transfer only to be told they have to go back (temporarily, but with no end date) and help out once the pandemic started. They’re ran off their feet so that’s why I’m guessing that’ll be the dept they fill first.

The last eo comp (2018 Dublin) they filled AGS first as they were the most desperate for staff.

doc22 wrote: »

Over a year ago then no, anyone they could call back they have. I know a few COs who finally got out of DEASP on mobility transfer only to be told they have to go back (temporarily, but with no end date) and help out once the pandemic started. They’re ran off their feet so that’s why I’m guessing that’ll be the dept they fill first.

The last eo comp (2018 Dublin) they filled AGS first as they were the most desperate for staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭nhg

When I went to upload my PDF I ended up having to compress it as the file was over 5mb... Even at that I couldn't fit in all that I wanted to put on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Does anybody know if this camphne will be online stage and interview only similar to this years C.O.? I can only see stage 1 mentioned on the information booklet. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

job seeker wrote: »
    Does anybody know if this camphne will be online stage and interview only similar to this years C.O.? I can only see stage 1 mentioned on the information booklet. Thanks.

It is possible however it not uncommon for them to focus on the "first stage" in the information booklet. They will issue a familarisation booklet to sucessful candidate for the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

Heya, does anyone have any advice in relation to the online Questionnaire - iv tried these so many times but never seem to score high enough to get anywhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Anyone else having problems with the website? I keep getting logged out when trying to access the forms!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

Anyone else having problems with the website? I keep getting logged out when trying to access the forms!

Problems with Boards or Public Jobs website?

Boards - I was getting a 503 error on and off all day yesterday.
    Public Jobs - I haven't had any issues.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

furrybones wrote: »

I get that error every morning!

• Advertisement

I get that error if I'm accessing it from a mobile device.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

furrybones wrote: »
    Problems with Boards or Public Jobs website?

Public Jobs - I haven't had any issues.

Public Jobs! After logging in and clicking apply in the EO tab, I’m immediately logged out again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

Sample tests here down the bottom if anyone wants to practice

Has anyone taken these sample tests yet? What scores did people get?

I scored 20/36 in numerical (Didn't get it finished)
    I scored 39/59 in verbal

Both scores passed the minimum required score - But would they be high enough to have a good chance of landing an interview/job?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I emailed PAS and they have come back to say I will need to contact DPER. Hopefully it's a yes

Also does anyone know do you move to the next point on the salary scale if your current point on the CO scale is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Heya, does anyone have any advice in relation to the online Questionnaire - iv tried these so many times but never seem to score high enough to get anywhere :(

I'm the same! All you can do is practice the sample questions for EO and do your best. It can be very tough. The best of luck anyway.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Has anyone taken these sample tests yet? What scores did people get?

I scored 20/36 in numerical (Didn't get it finished)
    I scored 39/59 in verbal

Both scores passed the minimum required score - But would they be high enough to have a good chance of landing an interview/job?

I'll give them a shot tonight. Nerves might play a part when it's the real deal though.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

UpBack1234 wrote: »

Excellent news.... thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Should you put in your salary for each job in the applicaton?
    no spot for it, i just gave job title and description of roles for it

There is a spot for the salary. On the PDF form, the 'Employment Record' part of Section A asks for 'Description of duties, salary, etc' in every job you've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

If one held a degree and stated so in the application, would they look for proof of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

splashuum wrote: »
    If one held a degree and stated so in the application, would they look for proof of this?

Yes

Advertisement