Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Got no email. Weird. Checked results.

Woo hoo!

Verbal: 71
    Numerical: 46
    Questionnaire: 45

OOM (Interdepartmental): 25 (for Sligo)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

willcartel wrote: »
    I'm delighted i passed. 493 for Dublin so I'll need a good next stage I think!

I'm very close to your number. I think we have a good chance based on the volume they go through; most of the vacancies will be in Dublin. The AO campaign is exclusively Dublin this year too so I think we both will be in with a solid chance.

How would we prepare for the etray?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

How would we prepare for the etray?

There are a lot of free/sample ones online. AssessmentDay has one up; but I imagine there's loads out there.

I've done a lot of e-trays for graduate programs myself, so I'm hoping this one is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

OOM in the the mid-100s for Dublin, which obviously I'm happy about, but I have to agree with others saying the whole assessment process is a bit of a sham. In my case at least, and at least one other person I've spoken to.

I straight up guessed the answer for the majority of the numerical section, and ended up doing better in that than in the questionnaire, which I answered purely based on what I thought they wanted me to say. Still have no idea what the correct approach to that section really was. The verbal results are the only ones that feel reflective of my actual strengths.

So yeah, happy enough since I'd basically written the whole thing off thinking I'd failed but definitely a bit gutted for those who didn't pass. Chances are, a lot of us who placed well don't deserve it any more than you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Shador74

Hi everyone. So got results. OOM 120's Limerick. My prob is i ticked inter and open comps but noticed after stage 1a that only inter was recorded. I've been a CO for 1 year so not sure I qualify. Does anyone have a link with applicant criteria please.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Shador74 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. So got results. OOM 120's Limerick. My prob is i ticked inter and open comps but noticed after stage 1a that only inter was recorded. I've been a CO for 1 year so not sure I qualify. Does anyone have a link with applicant criteria please.

You need to have served 2 years at the time of applying to be eligible for the interdepartmental stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭VitreousLife

willcartel wrote: »
    Inter.

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

There is a few people on here who are first timers to this competition and a few who are unsure how it works. The oom at this point just gets you to the next stage but not everyone will get to the next stage. Every county is different. Dublin has lots of offices so will have the most vacancies. oom of 250 in Dublin is excellent but that score in Galway is most likely unreachable.

Look at your county count up all the offices where jobs are likely. HSE, Council, Revenue don't count in this comp.

EO grade!! Some offices might have 1 EO more could have 5.

There will be retirements and this is where vacancies will factor but with Covid this year recruitment could be scaled back.

It's hard to know how many they will call for Etray but Id say the first 50 in each (bigger)county depending on vacancies. Not everyone will pass the Etray and this will make the group going for interview smaller.

Then some will fail the interview and others could be called for the next batch.

Good luck to everyone. It's an experience and with each comp you will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Madelyn wrote: »
    There is a few people on here who are first timers to this competition and a few who are unsure how it works. The oom at this point just gets you to the next stage but not everyone will get to the next stage. Every county is different. Dublin has lots of offices so will have the most vacancies. oom of 250 in Dublin is excellent but that score in Galway is most likely unreachable.

Look at your county count up all the offices where jobs are likely. HSE, Council, Revenue don't count in this comp.

There will be retirements and this is where vacancies will factor but with Covid this year recruitment could be scaled back.

It's hard to know how many they will call for Etray but Id say the first 50 in each (bigger)county depending on vacancies. Not everyone will pass the Etray and this will make the group going for interview smaller.

Then some will fail the interview and others could be called for the next batch.

Good luck to everyone. It's an experience and with each comp you will get better.

Revenue will recruit EOs from this competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I straight up guessed the answer for the majority of the numerical section, and ended up doing better in that than in the questionnaire, which I answered purely based on what I thought they wanted me to say. Still have no idea what the correct approach to that section really was. The verbal results are the only ones that feel reflective of my actual strengths.

I got EO in a recent campaign and did CO a couple of years before which is similar. And that's how I roll too! I'm weak at Maths so do what I can. Not much! And guess the rest. Very important not to be honest in the questionnaire even though they advise you to do so. You have to try and give the answers that you think they want. I mean not many would fit the desired profile if they answered honestly. Well perhaps a robot would.

Congrats to those who passed. If you didn't try not to take it personally. For example I failed the e-tray the first time round. But others find it easy.These tests suit some and not others and are just a way of reducing the number that will need to be called to interview. They also have little or no bearing on your ability to do the job. Anyway you could be sent to any Department and assigned to any role therefore the work is so varied. For the same reason neither does having a Degree and I say that as someone who has. I have posted my two cents on the e-tray in a couple of other threads. Not sure if I posted it here but will do so again in case it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Re the e-tray I posted the following on another thread. I have done these twice before in PAS most recently last year. There are examples online but in my experience unlike general aptitude tests (e.g. numerical reasoning) they are not something you can really prepare for. Each one is different. It's just a matter of focus and keeping an eye on the clock. Try to complete as much of the main tasks as you can and submit everything you have done before time runs out. Don't do one task perfectly and ignore the other. Make a decent stab at both.

The usual format in the past has been two main tasks e.g. compiling information for and drafting a fairly complex letter and organising a schedule for a conference. During the exercise some changes will be requested and you will have to adapt. Also you will get an occasional message on other relatively minor unrelated matters.

As I said try to keep a cool head and get as much of the main tasks completed as you can. Like all tests the e-tray suits some and not others. But pay attention to what you are asked and focus and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fina82

Delighted and surprised I passed, specially because I was 4 answers down the test when I realized it had started, did much better in the numerical though. However I am placed in the 3000's for Dublin so not much hope. I will do the next stages if I am lucky to be called and try my best.

Congratulations to everyone who survived doing that test, passed or not that was absolutely horrible 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Ah, so with an OOM of 160s in Limerick I probably should not be too hopeful?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

My niece is delighted she passed in Mayo.
    OOM 44.
    First time she has gone for a public service job and 22 years of age.

Congratulations to everyone who have got through this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

The HSE are a separate body, vacancies will not be filled from this comp.

Revenue vacancies can very well be filled from this comp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭StevenToast

336699 wrote: »
    Revenue will recruit EOs from this competition.

How do you know this? I hope Revenue are recruiting from this but I doubt it...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

If you want to find out how many EO's are in a certain department - have a look at this map. I found it very informative and eye opening.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=83eb12efc9c7478a982d39a89f759663

How do you know this? I hope Revenue are recruiting from this but I doubt it...

It is a nationwide & department wide recruitment campaign. Revenue usually do their own recruitment but if needed they can pull from these lists as easily as any other dept

gestappo wrote: »
    It is a nationwide & department wide recruitment campaign. Revenue usually do their own recruitment but if needed they can pull from these lists as easily as any other dept

Thanks gestappo, youre definitely the one in the know when it comes to this thread anyway!

• Advertisement

I think it's a quite a safe bet to place on my swift exit out of this campaign :(

Considering my little tantrum above when I completed the assessments; I am literally shocked to the core I passed, never mind got top 20 in my first choice and top 5 in my second. :eek:

I woke up this morning and had to reread the publicjobs messages just to be sure!

Congratulations to everyone that passed and sincere apologies to all of you who didn't get through. I think we were (and still are!) the guinea pigs of the new way of civil service recruitment.

The Situational Judgement questionnaire I found bizarre - parts of the questionnaire was from the previous competition, and correct me if I am wrong but I also think some of it was from the previous e-tray!

Neither Stage 1a or Stage1b were easy.

Thanks gestappo, youre definitely the one in the know when it comes to this thread anyway!

:D I don't know about that but I've been through a good few campaigns recently. The first was purely for experience and then the others to try and advance. I've been watching them all with a close eye

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

I thought that too gestappo. They quickly took down the extra link on publicjobs about the eo competition. Did anyone screenshot that page about how the competition would progress? I’ve been rereading the booklet and I don’t think the etray is 100% guaranteed? Must be costly for them paying an external company to allow for the supervised tests. They had said and continue to use the line that the first panel will in place and beginning to used by the start of November with the current panel(s) expiring 31st October. I really wonder will they follow the current co panel, go straight to interview and do small batches.

I’ve done a few etrays at this stage so hopeful it will be skipped!

I agree about complaints regarding the questionnaire....i answered what i believed they wanted to hear...but pulled it back sometimes to pretend to be honest...

If i had thought it was going to count i would have gone 100% bullsh*t mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

The whole thing is a crock of ****e, testing, interviews are all about who can bs the most, truth and honesty will get you nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 15 West is Best

If you want to find out how many EO's are in a certain department - have a look at this map. I found it very informative and eye opening.

This map is very interesting, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=83eb12efc9c7478a982d39a89f759663

Is that a map of actual staff numbers or current vacancies ?

Is that a map of actual staff numbers or current vacancies ?

I'm not sure if it is actual staff in situ or how many positions of each grade they've been allocated by DPER.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

The HSE are a separate body, vacancies will not be filled from this comp.

Revenue vacancies can very well be filled from this comp

So based on your info Madelyn do qe have to do an etray per county? say you are no 49 in uou first county so u get called in first batch... bur no 60 in your second so not called to etray for that one but because if failures/drop outs you are in the 2nd batch? Or will your first etray count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 newbraces

Why do you think revenue won’t use this panel? I’m on a revenue EO panel that’s due to expire in Dec so I assumed this panel would take over? I’d love if it didn’t because I did much better with the revenue panel

Advertisement