Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

hillbloom wrote: »
    I am referring to what Augme said about filling in the form.(No.196) Its states on the Application Form "the information you supply in this section will play a central part of the short-list process". It would be very handy to use a few bullet points & making it short but is that good enough.

Also it mentions in the heading in Employment Section Duties, Salary etc but there isn't a specific space for salary. Does one need to put in their salary for all their jobs? Where can certificates for various courses be included. (manual handling/safe pass). Would it be on the academic section or the supplementary section. Sorry for all the questions.

I put my salary at the end of each job description.

As for academic qualifications put them in where you put your leaving cert results and any college courses you’ve done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

gestappo wrote: »
    That’s stage 2. Stage 1 will be done from home and is multiple choice questions.

Years ago stage 2 was done online but the potential to cheat is huge so they change it to supervised testing. They can easily make those desks 2m apart but it would take twice the time for everyone to get tested. Who knows what way it’ll be done now seeing as the interviews are by VC.

They could hire a big hall and have everyone done in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cindy20201

Is it possible to apply for this and the Clerical Officer position?

Cindy20201 wrote: »

100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

Cindy20201 wrote: »

Absolutely, you can. Assuming you've already applied to the clerical officer campaign as the closing date for that has passed.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

What are people writing for the supplementary section?

A few bullet points about key skills and examples from previous roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    What are people writing for the supplementary section?

A few bullet points about key skills and examples from previous roles?

I wouldn't stress too much about that section, just put down a few bullet points that highlight some achievements and highlight some skills you have that reflect the competencies. It can be brief.

Remember, your performance in the online and supervised tests and then etray will dictate your OOM and if you get an interview that's where the form comes into play - they go through your work history and ask you to illustrate competencies from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

job seeker wrote: »
    I read in the 2018 EO thread that there was a stage up in the public jobs office for supervised tests. Couldn’t tell if it was stage 2 or if it was part of stage 1. Anyway, I can’t see this being possible this year due to covid and social distancing. The desks in them supervised tests are very close together.. Just speculating..

Edit: unless small batches were brought in each time supervised tests which would make sense. That would really slow things down a lot though.
    I know for the PO competition last year they did the supervised tests online where someone watches you through a web cam.

But the numbers for a PO competition would be a lot smaller compared to an EO.

But technically one person could watch a number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 username insert here

Hi,

There are two options when applying for this competition.

Interdepartmental & Open, what is the difference between the two, in particular regarding the tests? Are they the same tests or is the interdepartmental just an interview?

Also, I am right in saying that you don't need the leaving certificate if applying through the interdepartmental?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hi,

Interdepartmental & Open, what is the difference between the two, in particular regarding the tests? Are they the same tests or is the interdepartmental just an interview?

Also, I am right in saying that you don't need the leaving certificate if applying through the interdepartmental?

Thanks in advance

Same process AFAIK but this is an open competition, it's a standard form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 meepp

Had a few stabs at the sample tests.

Numerical and Verbal Reasoning, i did fine.

Job Simulation.... I did poorly. It's as though i can't get my head around the chain of command.

Can anyone offer some general advice?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Interdepartmental is for serving civil servants who have done at least years.

Open if for everyone else.

The whole process is the very same, you tick whichever option applies to you or even pick both and then you'll just be placed into a particular stream either InterD or Open.

To be a serving civil servant you need to have specific educational qualifications either your Leaving of Level 6

meepp wrote: »
    Had a few stabs at the sample tests.

Numerical and Verbal Reasoning, i did fine.

Job Simulation.... I did poorly. It's as though i can't get my head around the chain of command.

Can anyone offer some general advice?

Thanks

Know when to pass things up the chain is my only tip. EO is considered a trainee / junior management role.

What specifically is the issue with the chain of command you're having?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

I am referring to what Augme said about filling in the form.(No.196) Its states on the Application Form "the information you supply in this section will play a central part of the short-list process". It would be very handy to use a few bullet points & making it short but is that good enough.

Also it mentions in the heading in Employment Section Duties, Salary etc but there isn't a specific space for salary. Does one need to put in their salary for all their jobs? Where can certificates for various courses be included. (manual handling/safe pass). Would it be on the academic section or the supplementary section. Sorry for all the questions.

You give the details of previous salary at the end of the job description.

Anyone any idea on rough numbers of applicants versus number of jobs on offer??

The panel usually stays open for a couple of years? What number on the order of merit would you ideally be aiming for in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

The panel usually stays open for a couple of years? What number on the order of merit would you ideally be aiming for in Dublin?

Depends on PAS, the 2016 panels continued for a long time, but the 2019 Executive Officer competition was only advertised in January 2019 so now less than 18 months a new competition is commencing

People in the high 2000s at least go appointed on the last round. That's not to say they appointed that many, the attrition rate is huge. It's been suggested its as high as 50% at each stage. Just to set expectations though it was a bumper time for retirements apparently.

I can see certain departments cramming people in though ahead of a possible recruitment ban but that's pure speculation.

Panels are usually 2 years. The 2019 one for outside Dublin was a bit of an anomaly I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

Anyone know what percentage of people actually take the role they’re offered? Such a long process, including references and Garda vetting before you find out where you will be placed. I went that far in the 2018 competition but got a location that really didn’t suit so had to turn it down. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chickenskewer

Hi,

I looked online and Kilroys college offer a educational pack for the EO is this worth purchasing, specifically for the aptitude tests?

Hi,

I looked online and Kilroys college offer a educational pack for the EO is this worth purchasing, specifically for the aptitude tests?

I don't know about that course or if it's beneficial, maybe someone else can shine some light on that?

There are practice tests for the EO on the link below.. Scroll down to the bottom of the page

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Hi,

Have you had a look at the course? What did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srussell91

So, Im just wondering how difficult it is to become an EO, how well do you need to do on the aptitude tests? etc.

For example on the numerical tests it says that 8/36 is a pass, Im pretty sure I can do much better than this, but is that enough?

I have a level 7 and some office experience as well, not sure how well this experience will translate however.

Basically, Im asking how competitive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

srussell91 wrote: »
    So, Im just wondering how difficult it is to become an EO, how well do you need to do on the aptitude tests? etc.

For example on the numerical tests it says that 8/36 is a pass, Im pretty sure I can do much better than this, but is that enough?

I have a level 7 and some office experience as well, not sure how well this experience will translate however.

Once you can do the practice ones they provide, the real tests are quite straightforward. I think a lot of people drop out along the way as it’s such a long process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Augme

The numerical test doesn't count towards your score for deciding the order of merit so don't worry about the numerical. Once you can pass it that is all that matters and it is quite easy to pass.

There's going to be a huge amount of applications this year so expect it to be very competitive in terms of score that you would need to achieve to finish high up.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Re the location choice! The information doesn't explain is it in ORDER OF CHOICE. Or is it in which location the vacancies come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Re the location choice! The information doesn't explain is it in ORDER OF CHOICE. Or is it in which location the vacancies come up.

Theres no perferences . You can select two locations that your willing to accept an offer but if you get a invited to interview for one location and accept, you will be removed from the other location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭McSween

Theres no perferences . You can select two locations that your willing to accept an offer but if you get a invited to interview for one location and accept, you will be removed from the other location.

I only chose one location. I put a ‘1’ in the box. It went through ok, I hope i didnt have to choose a second as I Think I had to before on CO competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

McSween wrote: »
    I only chose one location. I put a ‘1’ in the box. It went through ok, I hope i didnt have to choose a second as I Think I had to before on CO competitions.

You don't have to choose two but you can do. You've still time to alter the form if if you want to add a second choice.

This reminds me I do have another tip.

There are 36 questions but maybe 10 different pieces of data you're asked to look at. So for example question 1 will be on a bar graph, the numbers of people in different departments say. Question 7 will be the same bar graph with a different question, so cherry pick your questions. Some of the numerical stuff if bloody difficult. As above though it's a simple pass/fail it doesn't go towards your Order of Merit (OOM).

Also give yourself maybe 45 seconds at the end of the test to Answer C to any remaining questions you didn't get time to do. I'd say most people run out of time on the Numerical test - obviously there's always the odd maths freak :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

What length of time is allowed for the test. Could ye tell me where to find those test questions.

Advertisement