Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ek1313

I am just wondering why they advertising this campaign so much- are they expecting a lot of vacancies??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

hillbloom wrote: »
    What length of time is allowed for the test. Could ye tell me where to find those test questions.

I could be wrong. From memory I think it’s about 25 minutes for 30 questions. But I’m opening to correction on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Ek1313 wrote: »
    I am just wondering why they advertising this campaign so much- are they expecting a lot of vacancies??

I would assume that there will be a large enough amount of applicants due to the high numbers of people out of work due to covid..

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Has anyone taken these sample tests yet? What scores did people get?

I scored 20/36 in numerical (Didn't get it finished)
    I scored 39/59 in verbal

Both scores passed the minimum required score - But would they be high enough to have a good chance of landing an interview/job?

I just gave it a go. I found the numerical one tough enough in the time given, so I'll practice that again.

25/36 in numerical (I timed out after 27 questions) Typical pass is 8
    52/59 in verbal (had time left) Typical pass is 29
    'Upper Band' in job simulation (had time left)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

I just gave it a go. I found the numerical one tough enough in the time given, so I'll practice that again.

25/36 in numerical (I timed out after 27 questions) Typical pass is 8
    52/59 in verbal (had time left) Typical pass is 29
    'Upper Band' in job simulation (had time left)

They're fantastic scores!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Is everyone putting down their current salary?

My current salary is much higher than the starting off EO salary and i'm worried it will put them off interviewing me if I make it that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Is everyone putting down their current salary?

My current salary is much higher than the starting off EO salary and i'm worried it will put them off interviewing me if I make it that far.

It’s not like the private sector in that regard. It’s all based on competency. If you pass all the tests and interview then you’ll be awarded the position no matter what salary you were previously on.

gestappo wrote: »
    It’s not like the private sector in that regard. It’s all based on competency. If you pass all the tests and interview then you’ll be awarded the position no matter what salary you were previously on.

Thanks for reply, any idea why they ask for salary on application form then?

Wondering when they see in an interview your on a much higher salary, would that put a question in their mind why you applying or show them you really want the job and would take a pay cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

Can I ask did you give your leaving cert results in the qualifications area or just your college qualifications?

Also what did you put in supplementary info. section?

Thanks

Can I ask did you give your leaving cert results in the qualifications area or just your college qualifications?

Also what did you put in supplementary info. section?

Thanks

I put in leaving results and in SI I just put in few lines of why I think I could do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I put in my leaving cert subjects and i put the points i got in the award

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

furrybones wrote: »
    They're fantastic scores!

Hi
    Where are these sample test ? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

EireinOZ wrote: »
    Hi
    https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

Sample tests here down the bottom if anyone wants to practice

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

EireinOZ wrote: »
    Hi

At the bottom of the page - https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I'm not including my leaving cert results, nearly 20 years ago at this stage, only college results.

I've had 2 periods of unemployment and I am entering them in sequence in the employment record section so the dates match up with no gaps accounted for.

The supplementary section I am elaborating a bit more on my duties from my main current employment, short bulleted examples. I am also providing details of a course I am nearly finished and also plans of my next course that I am applying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jambori

Have yet to fill out the application, but was wondering is it possible to partially fill it out, save it, & then return to it at a later point? TIA.

Does anyone know if the mobility map is a good indicator of current EO positions in each county?

I know it doesn't have all departments or locations but don't think there is anything else that allows for comparing counties that might have a better future possible intake. Seeing as we only get to select 2 locations, in most cases it will be your home county and then deciding on a border county based on future possible intake if the commuting time for both is similar.

Jambori wrote: »
    Have yet to fill out the application, but was wondering is it possible to partially fill it out, save it, & then return to it at a later point? TIA.

Yes you can save it to your desktop and save and reopen as often as you like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Might be an end to this before it even starts

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40025909.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Mc Love wrote: »
    Might be an end to this before it even starts

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40025909.html

Ya...i wouldnt be spending too much time on the application forms or practicing aptitude tests....

These competitions are just keeping idle people busy in the HR area.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Am I right in thinking that the first stage is an online assessment that will be sent to us by the 10th of Aug. and has to returned by the 17th of Aug? Will everyone who applied get to do this assessment do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Am I right in thinking that the first stage is an online assessment that will be sent to us by the 10th of Aug. and has to returned by the 17th of Aug? Will everyone who applied get to do this assessment do you think?

Everyone does the first stage assessments. It's how you get your initial order of merit.

Everyone does the first stage assessments. It's how you get your initial order of merit.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Ya...i wouldnt be spending too much time on the application forms or practicing aptitude tests....

I think your right on that one... the proposed 12 month recruitment freeze is in the DPER Ministers Brief that was published last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

I took it that there is a lot of promotions to HEO and above plus retirements hence this new campaign.

I reckon (and I could be wrong here) that these roles will be quickly filled BEFORE there is a total recruitment/promotion freeze.

I took it that there is a lot of promotions to HEO and above plus retirements hence this new campaign.

I reckon (and I could be wrong here) that these roles will be quickly filled BEFORE there is a total recruitment/promotion freeze.

I completely agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

I think your right on that one... the proposed 12 month recruitment freeze is in the DPER Ministers Brief that was published last week.

A recruitment ban is a possibility but thus far it's an alleged leak from a briefing document nothing more.

The government are likely to engage in austerity at some point despite their protests to the contrary but they won't find it as easy to demonise the public service in the way that happened post 2008, the value and importance of public services has really shone through in the Covid period.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

MFPM wrote: »
    A recruitment ban is a possibility but thus far it's an alleged leak from a briefing document nothing more.

The government are likely to engage in austerity at some point despite their protests to the contrary but they won't find it as easy to demonise the public service in the way that happened post 2008, the value and importance of public services has really shone through in the Covid period.

Its not a leak, its in the ministers briefing document that was published last week. Its available on gov.ie

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a693b-incoming-ministers-brief/

Page 34

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Im.sure the next budget in October will reveal a lot

• Advertisement

Anything that has been planned and accounted for financially for this year will go ahead, so this campaign has already been budgeted for. Any future campaigns will be at risk.

Advertisement