Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Just missed out by the slimmest of margins, devastated.

Is there any appeals process considering how they’ve messed up people’s scores??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

facade wrote: »
    Has anyone done an EO interview before?

For CO the questions at interview were competency based, however I dont remember filling in a competency based application form this time around.

Pretty much all grades are competency based AFAIK, EO definitely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shinerwx

I got over 600 and hoping to get called for interview at some stage. I had put Dublin down but am more hoping to get something in Wexford. What happens if I get called for interview for Dublin roles? Do I go and then say I'd prefer Wexford or refuse the interview and request Wexford only? Confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Shinerwx wrote: »
    I got over 600 and hoping to get called for interview at some stage. I had put Dublin down but am more hoping to get something in Wexford. What happens if I get called for interview for Dublin roles? Do I go and then say I'd prefer Wexford or refuse the interview and request Wexford only? Confused!!

Contact PAS now and tell them that you meant to tick Wexford as well. You can't go through the whole process for a Dublin panel and tell them at the very end you want Wexford, that won't fly. If you say something now you might be able to have a chance at both counties. Bear in mind there will be less vacancies in Wexford and that panel will move slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shinerwx

MrsBean wrote: »
    Contact PAS now and tell them that you meant to tick Wexford as well. You can't go through the whole process for a Dublin panel and tell them at the very end you want Wexford, that won't fly. If you say something now you might be able to have a chance at both counties. Bear in mind there will be less vacancies in Wexford and that panel will move slower.

Thanks Mrs Bean. I had Wexford picked as one of my counties but I just happened to do well on the results for Dublin earlier on in the process. I've just been going with it really! I'll get in touch with them though. Thanks for your reply!

• Advertisement

Shinerwx wrote: »
    Thanks Mrs Bean. I had Wexford picked as one of my counties but I just happened to do well on the results for Dublin earlier on in the process. I've just been going with it really! I'll get in touch with them though. Thanks for your reply!

I misunderstood - didn't realise you had ticked both.
    From the Information Booklet:

PLEASE NOTE: If you are invited to attend stage 3 (Interview) for one of your regional locations and you attend, you will no longer be considered for any other position in your other regional location choice.

According to this, if you attend for interview for Dublin you will no longer be considered for Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

Hi all. I got my interviews date yesterday, it's the first week of January! I am absolutely dreading it, interviews are really really not for me. The longest interview I've ever done was 20 mins and they said this one will be 40 mins :(

I am just wondering if anyone has even done an interview before without a form? I have another interview the 2nd week of january for a different eo position and I have a competency based form sent in which they will use to interview me, but with this there was no form and I'm terrified! Does anyone know is it still the same kind of questions... ie. Tell me about a time you showed good people management skills etc ....

Any help much appreciated

Thanks & best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

11amie11 wrote: »
    Hi all. I got my interviews date yesterday, it's the first week of January! I am absolutely dreading it, interviews are really really not for me. The longest interview I've ever done was 20 mins and they said this one will be 40 mins :(

I am just wondering if anyone has even done an interview before without a form? I have another interview the 2nd week of january for a different eo position and I have a competency based form sent in which they will use to interview me, but with this there was no form and I'm terrified! Does anyone know is it still the same kind of questions... ie. Tell me about a time you showed good people management skills etc ....

Any help much appreciated

Thanks & best of luck to everyone!

Same here, I've always applied for civil service jobs using a form that was then used at interview.

I'm would go back to the competencies in the original material and prepare an example for each one. Best of luck!

They will still follow the same competency based interview format, so familiarise yourself with the competencies of EO which you will find on public jobs. Make sure your examples tick the boxes.

These interviews are usually very structured, with the chairperson outlining at the start of the interview which interview board member will take which competencies. They make it clear which competency is being assessed at any given time.

Use the STAR technique as a basic guide to shape your answers. Don't waffle, get to the point. Time flies once it starts, you will not feel the 40mins believe me. The interview board might interrupt you to keep you on track but don't take it personally, it is their job to manage the time.

If you feel you didn't get a chance to explain something properly during the interview, use the time at the end to quickly summarise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

In that case am I correct in saying the Interview is on-line & not in person? And also the interview board is live and is not a prerecorded list of questions i.e.the board will be on the other end of the call.

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    In that case am I correct in saying the Interview is on-line & not in person? And also the interview board is live and is not a prerecorded list of questions i.e.the board will be on the other end of the call.

Yes you are correct. They said it will be on zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I've a pre employment medical for an EO post in a few days. What does the medical involve? I smoked a joint the other day and now wonder if they'll be doing a drug test. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

coolbeans wrote: »
    I've a pre employment medical for an EO post in a few days. What does the medical involve? I smoked a joint the other day and now wonder if they'll be doing a drug test. Does anyone know?

I'm not sure but I would say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

coolbeans wrote: »

I did a pre employment test before for a local authority position, had to do a urine test, what they were testing for I'm not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

tgdaly wrote: »
    had to do a urine test

Seriously? That sounds like a human rights violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Seriously? That sounds like a human rights violation.

Yeah this was back in 2018 so not too long ago. Like I say I'm not sure what they were testing for but unless it was drugs I wouldn't be sure what else it would show. Can't even remember what the rest of the medical involved

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Am I correct in thinking the e-tray was very tough. I got through but I thought I did really well in it & I managed 500 so I am not called for this round. I don't mind that but I am not looking forward to the ZOOM interview. I would definately prefer the one original Interview.

hillbloom wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking the e-tray was very tough. I got through but I thought I did really well in it & I managed 500 so I am not called for this round. I don't mind that but I am not looking forward to the ZOOM interview. I would definately prefer the one original Interview.

I had never done an e-tray before and I was terrified! I actually found it ok to be honest, it was difficult enough to try and decide on the scenario questions, what I would do. I wasn't sure what answers they were looking for. But overall I found it alright, but i guess everyone just has different strengths. Interview is not mine! Thankfully I scored 695, but was originally told I had scored 408, the qualifying score.

I'm sure with 500 you will be called in the next round. I would love to know how many of us are being interviewed in this first round. I think zoom works well for me, but again, everyone is different. Someone told me that last years competition had 3 interviewers and a scribe, so I would assume this year will be the same.

Best of luck when your interview does come up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Good luck to all of those who have their interviews this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

Good luck to all doing interviews.
    For anyone that did the etray did they do practice etray could anyone recommend ones that were helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I’m doing interview this week. I don’t mind Zoom format tbh but of course I’m nervous about it. The familiarisation document is good I think but nothing prepares you for the unknown. I’m just going through my application and my CV now and trying to order my thoughts.
    Best of luck to anyone else this week!

Seesee wrote: »
    I’m doing interview this week. I don’t mind Zoom format tbh but of course I’m nervous about it. The familiarisation document is good I think but nothing prepares you for the unknown. I’m just going through my application and my CV now and trying to order my thoughts.
    Best of luck to anyone else this week!

Good luck with your interview - let's us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

I’m very confused. I placed inside 500 (late 400s) in the OOM for Dublin in the first round. I was not called to do the e-tray but I’m seeing people saying they got called and passed it when they had an OOM in the early 500s. How is this possible? Have I been skipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    I’m very confused. I placed inside 500 in the OOM for Dublin in the first round. I was not called to do the e-tray but I’m seeing people saying they got called and passed it with an OOM in the 500s. How is this possible? Have I been skipped?

Are you sure it was OOM? Or their score/result?

Quick post. Had my interview today. Very pleasant and professional but quite challenging. It’s been a while since I did an interview. Be well prepared. Have examples for each of the competencies and behavioural interview questions too. There were a few I had to answer on the fly so I was glad I had thought about the majority. I found Zoom fine and it was a relief not have to go out in the snow. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Quick post. Had my interview today. Very pleasant and professional but quite challenging. It’s been a while since I did an interview. Be well prepared. Have examples for each of the competencies and behavioural interview questions too. There were a few I had to answer on the fly so I was glad I had thought about the majority. I found Zoom fine and it was a relief not have to go out in the snow. Good luck!

That’s brilliant! Fingers crossed for you!

What type of behavioural questions were asked?

Thank you for the update.
    Sounds like it went well for you.... Well done and fingers crossed for you.

gestappo wrote: »
    That’s brilliant! Fingers crossed for you!

What type of behavioural questions were asked?

Loads of examples here and they used quite a few of them: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/how-to-use-the-star-interview-response-technique

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TrishaK

Has anyone been called off the leitrim panel lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Davis3265al

Hey everyone, has there been any movement on panels outside of Dublin yet? Thank you

Advertisement