Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Holiday supplement only available to those who pay tax and USC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Should rule out a sizable number of a certain ethnic minority.
    More of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What makes me more entitled to it than my neighbour who might be unemployed? Or genuinely disabled?

It's a tax credit incentive to stimulate spending. Those with the money to spend are the ones they need to encourage to spend it.

And time the Tax payers got some payback. Those on SW and allowances get the Christmas bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pentecost wrote: »
    That is something that's ridiculous.

Yes you would imagine we didn't have an indigenous beer and spirits industry which utilises agricultural output and provides employment.

Maybe an element of anti drink at play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

A voucher for everyone would be more fair.

They should be out looking for a job not taking a holiday!

Right call and fair balls for them for looking after working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Says VAT is being reduced too from 23% to 21%. Is that really going to encourage people to spend?

They didnt read the Nazi playbook on that one.
    Even the unemployed will benefit.
    I am as outraged about this as the OP was about the staycation credit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

elperello wrote: »
    Yes you would imagine we didn't have an indigenous beer and spirits industry which utilises agricultural output and provides employment.

Maybe an element of anti drink at play?

Theres a whole list of things that are always exempt from gov vouchers and the like such as fags and oddly enough some baby formula.

Despite being on the dole myself Im more than happy to see the workers get something back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tefral wrote: »
    They should be out looking for a job not taking a holiday!

Right call and fair balls for them for looking after working people.

What about pensioners ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A voucher for everyone would be more fair.

The vouchers get sold to buy booze and drugs and fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Seems fair, the unwaged already get €203 a week for food from the government for free. You're begruding people with jobs €125 a year for the same?

Says VAT is being reduced too from 23% to 21%. Is that really going to encourage people to spend?

Some big business might pass it on which will encourage spending but most SMEs will need the 2% to help keep themselves afloat so hopefully it helps everyone in a way

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    The vouchers get sold to buy booze and drugs and fags.

Like food stamps in the states... I will give you 50 cents on the dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

A disgraceful move. Reminiscent of Nazi Germany segregation

Well, at least you can't be sent to the Russian front, since Russia's not on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Theres a whole list of things that are always exempt from gov vouchers and the like such as fags and oddly enough some baby formula.

Despite being on the dole myself Im more than happy to see the workers get something back

This is not a voucher scheme.

Cigarettes cannot be discounted by Irish law. Baby formula for under six month old infants cannot be discounted under EU legislation.

Maybe we will eventually find out the rationale for excluding drinks from this scheme.

Very fair of you considering there is nothing in it for you.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What about pensioners ?

A large % of pensioners pay tax and would benefit.

Those that don't can use the Christmas bonus.

Plus it's based ln a spend of at least €625: It's not a full rebate of costs.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What about pensioners ?

Some pensioners pay tax.
    Some pensioners dont qualify for medical card but pay so little tax hardly worth claiming for medical expenses never mind this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah...Mary Lou was giving out that the tax credit wouldn't be available to a million low paid workers.

Yeah, because low paid workers pay very little in this country.

You can't pay very little tax AND expect access to all the tax credits.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well, at least you can't be sent to the Russian front, since Russia's not on the green list.

Cough Baltic states Cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Necro wrote: »
    The fact that you pay tax on your income. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

I pay loads of tax. I will holiday at home this year but I'll be doing it before the kids have school. Who is this for ?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Like food stamps in the states... I will give you 50 cents on the dollar.

Or butter vouchers back in the 80s.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I pay loads of tax. I will holiday at home this year but I'll be doing it before the kids have school. Who is this for ?

It's for the hospitality trade out of season. Won't suit me either as we'll take a break before September.

• Advertisement

Rich retirees.
    Couples with kids pre school age.
    People who go to Center Parcs or similar during mid term.
    Golf / activity / spa weekend getaways
    Couples on a romantic break or just a romantic dinner. Just go for a fancy meal.
    The kind of people who would normally holiday abroad in off peak.

Maybe they should throw in another bank holiday.

People who work who can avail of reduced over 50s/55s and 60s deals. A nice time actually to visit hotels with no kids flying around the place.

It’s valid from October to April so if you go out for a meal before Christmas or have a dirty weekend with the wife around valentines then you can claim 20% back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

+1 for another public holiday

Ruari Quinn and the Labour party were talking about February 1st St Bridgets Day but that proposal went nowhere and I have never heard anything since.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    +1 for another public holiday

Ruari Quinn and the Labour party were talking about February 1st St Bridgets Day but that proposal went nowhere and I have never heard anything since.

We need to start a petition... get momentum on this!
    I am sure Goebbels would have approved also... with some approved theme.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's for the hospitality trade out of season. Won't suit me either as we'll take a break before September.

Grand so, I'll keep my restaurant receipts and get a €250 rebate. Seems stupid as I won't go out 1 more time because of it. If I need to save 20% on eating out I'll stop tipping. Not trying to sound like a pick worked in service for years, but that's how people think.

It’s valid from October to April so if you go out for a meal before Christmas or have a dirty weekend with the wife around valentines then you can claim 20% back.

Actually I'll book a valentine's get away before everyone else cops this, thanks.

Grand so, I'll keep my restaurant receipts and get a €250 rebate. Seems stupid as I won't go out 1 more time because of it. If I need to save 20% on eating out I'll stop tipping. Not trying to sound like a pick worked in service for years, but that's how people think.

But a lot of people will take that £250 they get back and go on to spend it somewhere else

This will take some of the sting out of paying for hotel when attending a wedding... assuming the big events resume from October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

If I end up with the USC and another example covid 19 social charge... and folks are thinking I even want a supplement for holidays...

Financially with 4 kids both me and the wife working.. think it be best we go on the dole...

Advertisement