Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Holiday supplement only available to those who pay tax and USC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Most decent people aren't going to spend money abroad at the moment anyway. I don't think the Vat cut is one of the best things they could have done either.
    Measures aimed at creating and sustaining jobs would be more effective. Cuts to stamp duty to encourage buying of property. Tax relief for businesses directly so the savings can be used for business growth or investment, payment of debtors, rental etc or subsidised rents for commercial businesses in trouble, etc

Lots of people are itching to get to Green List countries.
    By October and then March that will be even more if things under control.
    Maybe not older people so much but big spenders in late 20s and early 30s.
    Hen parties etc

All of the above measures would cost a helluva lot more. This is about boosting demand and doesnt really cost them anything if it works out that way.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

owlbethere wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to tie it into the guidelines of restricted travelling abroad. Reading these forums there people just itching to go away out abroad on holidays and that can be very risky. Especially busy airports and busy and packed planes. It's a receipe for disaster and for picking up virus and potentially bringing it home and starting a new cluster of cases. I wash there was a way to tie such a reward into the guidelines.

The simplest way would be for the State to refund the costs incurred for holiday flights and accommodation booked before mid-March.

(Mrs. Steevens and I are still deliberating whether or not to avail of our flights and hotel reservations in the Algarve in late September. They were booked and paid for in January and we hate simply throwing the money away. If the Gov. was to offer even a 50% refund of the costs incurred then we'd be much more inclined to stay at home. )

polesheep wrote: »
    It's a handout. We all get handouts from the state, be it children's allowance or money off your staycation, it doesn't matter. It's money that was due to be collected by the state that is now being handed out.

Not a handout. Of course it matters that it is about taking less tax. The state would have nothing to give without the tax you pay them in the first place.

Fair point
    My understanding with FF in power like when we were told to spend spend spent. Or we will lower taxes but correct me if I'm wrong got bin charges instead...
    My question really is. Who is paying for this? Cause another USC sorta idea freaks me out

Well specifically on this scheme we pay for it through the extra taxes we pay while holidaying here.

On all the other much more costly measures... I dont know what to tell you. Couldnt rule that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Im glad that the government are offering something for those who work. Its about time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

A disgraceful move. Reminiscent of Nazi Germany segregation

https://www.thejournal.ie/staycation-spending-measures-5157989-Jul2020/

They introduced it as a tax credit, so screw the unemployed.

I earn 45k a year before anyone accuses me of being bitter. It's not different to economic vetos and discrimination encouraged on certain members of German society during the Nuremberg Laws.

Brilliant......

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I want the dole lowered back to 186 a week. No extra payment at Christmas. If you are able and the job is within you area you need to take it.... I will take my chances with that before I consider payments for holidays

Between what my wife earns and I earn. We pay the same as 1 salary per month in usc and paye. Dont even get me started on vhi...

Just find it very confusing that folks welcome this idea as it's still gonna come out of your pocket

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Well specifically on this scheme we pay for it through the extra taxes we pay while holidaying here.

On all the other much more costly measures... I dont know what to tell you. Couldnt rule that out.

Cough up unfortunately

Just like the rainy day fund...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

JeffKenna wrote: »
    All you have to do is get a bottle of wine and ask the hotel to put it on the receipt as a main course. Seen it happen loads on business lunches.

Interesting. I figured there would be a way around it in theory but that it would be hassle for the business. I can't think of a valid rationale for excluding alcoholic drinks. I can't see how it could be seen to be promoting drink or anything scurrilous like that.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes they would have set up holiday camps for free holidays for Aryans .. they actually did this btw.

But keep reading. Thread gets good.

I'm well aware. Very very interesting and definitely in my future visit list but in no way comparable to this scenario in any way that the op was suggesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

A voucher for everyone would be more fair.
    Mebollix. We'd pay for those vouchers through taxation. They should only go to people who pay for them. With an exemption for those who work under the tax threshold, They should also be eligible. Because they work.

Anybody who lost their job due to Covid should of course also be eligible, although they probably wouldn't use them as they are suddenly, rather than habitually, out of work and will still have bills to pay and financial commitments to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Tax payers offered small tax break to spend in businesses which pay tax to help said business and its employees that pay tax. What's the issue here exactly?

People who get free stuff want more free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Tefral

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What about pensioners ?

Pensioners get taxed on their pension payments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tefral wrote: »
    Pensioners get taxed on their pension payments!!

Yes they do , but most pensioners pay very little tax as they earn very little .Social welfare pension would be under the earnings for tax for example

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What a waste of money. Just give whatever it's going to cost in tax breaks directly to hotels or restaurants if you have to do it.

Yeah right. And then have loads of places time their eventual permanent closure to maximise cashflow.
    No, tax receipts on consumer expenditure is the way to go.

road_high wrote: »
    Must be first time ever working in Ireland actually pays...its usually the non contributing layabouts that are rewarded. Need plenty more initiatives like this aimed at contributing taxpayers

The people who get up in the morning.....

And work in their tracksuits at the kitchen table :-D :-D We're sure in surreal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Maybe Nazi Germany is a slight exaggeration?

Don't you know it's the default debate position by people who with to express their anger over something but don't have the intellectual ability to form a proper argument

Is this actually the first thing that only benefits those who "get up early" that has been done? And Leo is out of the big chair a few weeks before it happens?

Can't think of anything that was done in the last while that benefited those working specifically over those who aren't.

As someone who's self-employed, firstly I wouldn't be dropping €650 on a hotel, and secondly, €125 back for spending that €650, in the form of a tax break, isn't exactly massively appealing.

These Green jerseys are getting more expensive annually than Premiership and GAA kits.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    All you have to do is get a bottle of wine and ask the hotel to put it on the receipt as a main course. Seen it happen loads on business lunches.

There are many ways to defraud the State, if that is your desire. Doesn't seem in keeping with the civic mood though. Certainly not with the law.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes they do , but most pensioners pay very little tax as they earn very little .Social welfare pension would be under the earnings for tax for example

They get the annual Christmas bonus and we, the taxpayers, can now avail of this new tax credit, which at a maximum value of €125 is worth much less than the Xmas bonus.

Of course, the missus and me being tax-paying pensioners, we can now get both!, yee-haw!

No wonder that the likes of RBB and Pearse Doherty hate us! Imagine that people exist who are both elderly and have sufficient income to actually pay tax - utter anathema to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

El Sueño wrote: »
    You pay tax.

The non taxpayers get more than enough free money as it is but that's another story for another day.

I work and due to tax credits pay no tax . I get nothing free. I don't even benefit from this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just find it very confusing that folks welcome this idea as it's still gonna come out of your pocket

Yes but the knock-on effect benefits the economy in general.

I work and due to tax credits pay no tax . I get nothing free. I don't even benefit from this scheme.

I find that hard to believe unless your public service job is part-time.

Are you claiming WFP?

Yes but the knock-on effect benefits the economy in general.

Maybe so... but there is a whole lot of worries to think about for the future yet our gov are giving money back for holidays... it's like watching aston villa play and when they lose 5-0 the manager says, oh the lads were great I couldnt of asked for anymore from them.

This payment just like the rest is gonna bite the taxpayer in the arse..

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was meant to attend a wedding in May that’s been postponed till nearer Christmas. I can now claim back 20% of the hotel booking. Happy days.

Does it have to cost 650 euros for re claim back the 125 euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So no free money then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes.
    So no free money then?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Just like the discount offered on new cars back in the depths of recession. They had to be diesel though, as the Green Party demanded.

Mind you, only ones who could afford a swanky new car in those days were... wait for it, already neck deep in cash.

Same story here, this will only benefit the upper classes, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It is pitched at FF and FG core voters

I'm actually glad it's not a voucher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

It is pitched at FF and FG core voters

I'm actually glad it's not a voucher

Ie people who works vs the “working class” Sinn Fein voters who ironically don’t work but have time to attend protests and make a lot of noise.

Advertisement