Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Holiday supplement only available to those who pay tax and USC

Options

Comments

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does it have to cost 650 euros for re claim back the 125 euros?

No. You can avail of 20% tax credit once you’ve made a minimum spend of 25 euro. Between the period Oct to April you can claim credit on 625 maximum. It doesn’t have to be one purchase you just upload all receipts up to that value. If your receipts total 695 you submit them but just get the credit on the maximum allowed.

What I’m not sure of is if this is over 2 years as the tax year ends in December. Can we submit receipts up to the value of 625 for 2020 and the same again for 2021?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

A disgraceful move. Reminiscent of Nazi Germany segregation

https://www.thejournal.ie/staycation-spending-measures-5157989-Jul2020/

They introduced it as a tax credit, so screw the unemployed.

I earn 45k a year before anyone accuses me of being bitter. It's not different to economic vetos and discrimination encouraged on certain members of German society during the Nuremberg Laws.

I suspect you are an unemployed bum looking for more entitlements because the real question you should be asking is why you pay tax at 40 % on your 10k income between 35000 and 45000 and you can only claim 20% back.

And nobody employed would even think about the injustice you did in OP.

Now, back to dole office with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I find that hard to believe unless your public service job is part-time.

Are you claiming WFP?

One of my employees earns 35k a year and pays no income tax due to all the credits he has for disabled family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Danno wrote: »
    Just like the discount offered on new cars back in the depths of recession. They had to be diesel though, as the Green Party demanded.
    Mind you, only ones who could afford a swanky new car in those days were... wait for it, already neck deep in cash.
    Same story here, this will only benefit the upper classes, as usual.

It's not about benefitting any one class directly.
    How many of the other covid-19 schemes were about the upper classes?
    Did many of them work n pubs and claim the pandemic payment?

And who pocketed the tax on those new vehicles and what was it spent on?
    Did it not benefit the people who worked in car sales?

It will benefit everyone in the country if the people with money spend it here in restaurants and hotels. The companies need the business. The government needs the tax revenue.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious has it been mentioned the scheme can only be availed of in Failte Ireland registered premises, a little nugget Leo was caught out on on the Today with Sarah show on RTE Radio 1 yesterday morning.

Whilst I presume most accommodation outlets will be registered, few if any Pubs, Restaurants are. So it would seem either they'll need to scramble and register, with all that entails or I'm afraid an enormous amount of premises will be excluded, Perhaps that was the sneaky idea after all.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just curious has it been mentioned the scheme can only be availed of in Failte Ireland registered premises, a little nugget Leo was caught out on on the Today with Sarah show on RTE Radio 1 yesterday morning.

Whilst I presume most accommodation outlets will be registered, few if any Pubs, Restaurants are. So it would seem either they'll need to scramble and register, with all that entails or I'm afraid an eno amount of premises es

I assumed the Failte ireland part was accomodation only?
    That would really narrow the field for restaurants.

Plus most holiday home rentals I imagine are not Failte Ireland registered either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Scroungers gonna scrounge.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I assumed the Failte ireland part was accomodation only?
    That would really narrow the field for restaurants.

Plus most holiday home rentals I imagine are not Failte Ireland registered either.

I assumed same but to add to Leo's embarrassment, Adrian Cummins from the restaurant association, texted in to say Failte Ireland registration required, it was quite amusing to listen too, but like the green list, not terribly well thought about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

893bet wrote: »
    Ie people who works vs the “working class” Sinn Fein voters who ironically don’t work but have time to attend protests and make a lot of noise.

I'm a Sinn Fein supporter.pay alot of tax and think this is a **** scheme. I hate the fact the expenses have to be vouched expenses from a failte Ireland approved premise. Government ministers have unvouched expenses. The admin of this is crap for the taxpayer that will result in a low uptake of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The OP is clearly on a wind up but the scheme is pretty poorly thought out

A tax rebate (available on production of qualifying receipts) won’t encourage anybody to spend extra.

I’m not a SF voter but their voucher scheme would actually encourage people to spend them. I’d imagine limiting the vouchers to people who are registered for tax and prsi would be easily doable too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Says VAT is being reduced too from 23% to 21%. Is that really going to encourage people to spend?

You're assuming the VAT cut will be passed on to the customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

smurgen wrote: »

I'm a Sinn Fein supporter...............

Government ministers have unvouched expenses.

As do Sinn Fein TDs and Senators! Shocking I know, but there we are!

The admin of this is crap for the taxpayer that will result in a low uptake of the scheme.

A right pain in the backside for Revenue staff to administer as well, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I assumed same but to add to Leo's embarrassment, Adrian Cummins from the restaurant association, texted in to say Failte Ireland registration required, it was quite amusing to listen too, but like the green list, not terribly well thought about

I was thinking the same but like the health expenses, will they go through all the receipts and cross reference them to the failte ireland list?
    Can I bring the family to McD a few times and claim this as an example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Lets be honest here, this is aimed at people who might have been considering a weekend trip to Europe or a foreign holiday. Assuming its a couple/family, the thought process is now that they could spend €1k going abroad or else spend €1k staying at home but get €200 back - this helps to keep money in Ireland but also reduces foreign travel, which helps the overall economy and reduces Covid risk

Any voucher given to people who are not paying tax is money that they wouldn't normally have to spend. It would be great for them personally but has little wider benefit to everyone else. It becomes free money instead of the the scheme is designed for - to persuade people to holiday at home instead of abroad.

I do think something could have been done for carers though as technically they are doing an important job but not paying tax, so are kind of caught in the middle.

I'm a Sinn Fein supporter.pay alot of tax and think this is a **** scheme. I hate the fact the expenses have to be vouched expenses from a failte Ireland approved premise. Government ministers have unvouched expenses. The admin of this is crap for the taxpayer that will result in a low uptake of the scheme.

The admin will take all of about 10 minutes to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Have the specifics of the scheme been released?

I'd like to know when the rebate actually gets paid. i.e. If I spend €700 on a holiday in Ireland in 2020 will it the 20% (of €625) get applied to my tax credits in 2020 or 2021? Or is it like medical expenses where you have 4 years to claim it?

Either way it makes the "What about me, I'm on the dole?" argument even more ridiculous when you consider that at worst they have until next April to take the holiday, and next December to claim the tax credit.

So the only way they can say with confidence that they won't benefit from the scheme is if they have no intention of getting a job and paying tax between now and December 2021.

Dodge wrote: »

I’m not a SF voter but their voucher scheme would actually encourage people to spend them.

I’d imagine limiting the vouchers to people who are registered for tax and prsi would be easily doable too

Imagine the howls of fury from the Left if that suggestion was implemented - clear discrimination against a certain ethnic group!

TheDriver wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but like the health expenses, will they go through all the receipts and cross reference them to the failte ireland list?
    Can I bring the family to McD a few times and claim this as an example?

LOL, I'm not sure macdonalds are doing sit in at the moment.

Leo got all excited about an app being developed to manage this nonsense, Hmmmm, App, where have I heard this before

I do think something could have been done for carers though as technically they are doing an important job but not paying tax, so are kind of caught in the middle.

Carers get the Respite Care Grant worth €1,700 annually in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

LOL, I'm not sure macdonalds are doing sit in at the moment.

Leo got all excited about an app being developed to manage this nonsense, Hmmmm, App, where have I heard this before

They will by Oct! I'm thinking of regular family eat outs whereby you might pop into a supermacs or McD when driving somewhere and clock up 25 euro bill. Should these receipts be kept from Oct as in 6 months, you could have a nice amount spent. Can they make you only eat in registered hotel restaurants?

Have the specifics of the scheme been released?

I'd like to know when the rebate actually gets paid. i.e. If I spend €700 on a holiday in Ireland in 2020 will it the 20% (of €625) get applied to my tax credits in 2020 or 2021? Or is it like medical expenses where you have 4 years to claim it?

Either way it makes the "What about me, I'm on the dole?" argument even more ridiculous when you consider that at worst they have until next April to take the holiday, and next December to claim the tax credit.

So the only way they can say with confidence that they won't benefit from the scheme is if they have no intention of getting a job and paying tax between now and December 2021.

2022 is the year rebates suggested /be given, yes 2022, absolutely farcical notion of a plan, although I see in the irish time's this morning, €21,000 for a week in kerry, that would be some rebate, one hotel in Dingle offering a family room for €2400 for the week and no, Fungi not thrown in, the gouging has commenced with gusto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

They will by Oct! I'm thinking of regular family eat outs whereby you might pop into a supermacs or McD when driving somewhere and clock up 25 euro bill. Should these receipts be kept from Oct as in 6 months, you could have a nice amount spent. Can they make you only eat in registered hotel restaurants?

I'm wondering about what establishments are registered too. I've a feeling that by design or not, this will mostly apply to the "official" Fáilte Ireland establishments who make their money in normal years gouging Americans. I doubt a local chipper or shop will be registered with any schemes....

I'm sure Pat Mac Donagh of supermacs will have some opinions later in the week, as it stands Failte Ireland Registration REQUIRED for accomodation but I can't see if this includes Dining or Drink, clarity will be needed ASAP

I'm wondering about what establishments are registered too. I've a feeling that by design or not, this will mostly apply to the "official" Fáilte Ireland establishments who make their money in normal years gouging Americans. I doubt a local chipper or shop will be registered with any schemes....

Few Bars or restaurants are Failte Ireland registered unless the have an accommodation element, that was my experience when in that industry

I see in the irish time's this morning, €21,000 for a week in kerry, that would be some rebate,

That would be 12 rebates if 12 taxpayers stayed there!

".... five bedroom self-catering villa suitable for 12 people in Sneem currently being advertised online. A week’s stay here will apparently set you back €21,000...."

Nice gaff! https://fivestar.ie/self-catering/luxury-kerry-villa/

That would be 12 rebates if 12 taxpayers stayed there!

".... five bedroom self-catering villa suitable for 12 people in Sneem currently being advertised online. A week’s stay here will apparently set you back €21,000...."

Nice gaff! https://fivestar.ie/self-catering/luxury-kerry-villa/

Yes beautiful place, do you get to keep the house at that price? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Imagine the howls of fury from the Left if that suggestion was implemented - clear discrimination against a certain ethnic group!

There hasn’t been howls about the rebate (despite the OP’s wind up). The issue for me isn’t limiting it to taxpayers, but rather the implementation.

A rebate will not encourage extra spending. And the point of a stimulus package is to encourage extra spending

Yes beautiful place, do you get to keep the house at that price? :)

Only if you agree to waive the holiday supplement tax rebate.

Dodge wrote: »

There hasn’t been howls about the rebate (despite the OP’s wind up). The issue for me isn’t limiting it to taxpayers, but rather the implementation.

A rebate will not encourage extra spending. And the point of a stimulus package is to encourage extra spending

It might.

We may not be representative, but the missus and I (both retired) are actively discussing taking a couple of off-season midweek breaks that wouldn't have been on our agenda before the stimulus package was announced. If course it all depends on the rates that the hotels will be charging - if they don't make them attractive, then we'll be staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Lets be honest here, this is aimed at people who might have been considering a weekend trip to Europe or a foreign holiday. Assuming its a couple/family, the thought process is now that they could spend €1k going abroad or else spend €1k staying at home but get €200 back - this helps to keep money in Ireland but also reduces foreign travel, which helps the overall economy and reduces Covid risk

Any voucher given to people who are not paying tax is money that they wouldn't normally have to spend. It would be great for them personally but has little wider benefit to everyone else. It becomes free money instead of the the scheme is designed for - to persuade people to holiday at home instead of abroad.

The admin will take all of about 10 minutes to do.

Doubtful. If excludes alcoholic drinks.if I hand up a receipt for a restaurant they'll have to scan and deduct for wine etc. It's a time consuming calculation. A one off voucher would have been alot faster with a greater uptake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭beachhead

Tax credits in Ireland are e18,000 for a single old age pensioner and e36,000 for a couple.These allowances not apply to PAYE workers as stated by DARC9.They do apply if you work past the state retirement age.The tax free allowance(credits) in the UK are not £10,000 per year for a PAYE worker.
    A voucher system here would be better here for all those who can afford to take a holiday.But whatever system is used the businesses benefitting will simply "up" prices in October.

Advertisement