Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Prodigy (animated children's series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Rawr

The ship didn't look to be all that much larger than a Runabout, or the Delta Flyer, both of which could be operated by one person. It seems to be that by the 2360's most Starfleet vessels could be operated by a handful of people and even the the Enterprise D could be flown to starbase by a single person at the Conn. The difficulty could be in the maintenance of the ship, that would require a larger crew. I can imagine that many of the kids troubles will be keeping the ship running. Luckily Janeway appeared to be from an Engineering background, so her hologram might also double as a Chief Engineer as Evade alludes to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

another Starfleet ship abandoned in the Delta Quadrant?

Apart from the Caretaker's shenanigans, having a very Federation-focused Borg Collective in the area could easily lend to a lot of Starfleet equipment getting dragged over to the Delta Quadrant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some casting news...

Robert Beltran (Chakotay) revealed during a convention that he has recorded lines as part of Star Trek: Prodigy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Interesting

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My guess was it was either a failed Voyager rescue mission or more likely a quantum slipstream experiment that took place after Voyager's run. (Would make more sense if it included a Janeway hologram). It has an NX reg so it's some kind of experimental vessel anyway.

Yeah, NX defo an experiment class ship, so will be interesting to see what its capable

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we know the ship name? I can barely make out the lettering. USS Something; there a 4k version of the trailer? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

image is called uss protostar

Ta; while I've little active interest in this show it'd be mad that the two cartoon series end up being the "true" representations of the Fed, while being the best written of the 4 active shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's nearly better actually because they can do all sorts of Aliens, ships and designs in a cartoon that would just be far too expensive in a live show as well as having some fun.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

It's going to be short for prototype starship isn't it?

Probably, unless it was an experimental engine that involved the use of a proto star

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

Could be maybe with help from the Romulans or some Romulans any way. Any idea what date this is set in yet? How far after Voyager and how near to Picard?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

John Noble and Jimmi Simpson added to the cast. If this is just a kids show, they're not doing too bad with casting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm a little confused on how this is being targeted at this point. The character designs seemed targeted at younger kids, but then they're throwing solid enough talent and therefore money at it, which would suggest they're aiming for a broader audience.

It's what I tend to hope for with any kids show. Just because it's aimed to be accessible to younger audience doesn't mean that it can't actually be good too. If they can make something that parents can also enjoy...all the better...especially if you are a Trekkie parent.

I do like John Noble. Cool voice.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've been skeptical, if not dismissive of it, based on the early info released. If it can work on an adult level as well as a kids friendly one, then I'd welcome it. I'm hoping for a bit more Final Space and Lower Decks than Peppa Pig here.

I dont like how thanks to Kurtsman, all the new ships seem to have actual windows on the bridge.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Didn't TOS Enterprise, or some of the starfleet have skylights (for want of a better word) on their bridge? Or am I completely misremembering things?

Ms

Yes I think so. They did zoom right into the bridge of the Original Enterprise from the dome windows in the Cage.

Still I much prefer a big screen than a big pain of glass or translucent aluminium at the front of the bridge.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Enterprise D had a skylight on the bridge in Generations, still a dumb idea.

It never really made sense to have any kind of window or transparent surface into the command deck of a starship, the skylight made little sense, but it was easier to ignore than the viewscreen.

Beyond any tactical or design issue, the main gripe I have with having bridge-windows instead of view-screens is that this design language came from the JJ-Abrams movies. We know well that up until the JJ-Movies, Trek bridges had a holographic main-viewer with several functions. However Kurtzman & Co. are either ignorant of this, or intentionally revisionist to put their own "signature" onto this era of Trek. It's a minor thing, but it's pretty annoying.

In fairness, it doesn't make sense to have windows in any spaceship, given realistically it presents a huge point of weakness within the structure, between the radiation, micro-meteorites and other cosmic bric-a-brac. Obviously, Trek lends itself to a more fantastical approach to its science, and the shields no doubt disrupt all the aforementioned, but "windows in starships" is one of those tropes I generally ignore. I'd be more of the mindset that the reason Kurtzman's ships have windows rather than view-screens is 'cos the guy's an idiot 😁

(And of course, to get the ubiquitous mention of The Expanse, that show's ships have no windows, ever, for that very reason. Far far too dangerous)

Windows (or forcefields/transparent aluminium) do have their obvious disadvantages but, presumably, starship design isn't all about what's most efficient and has to take in crew comforts and people like a nice view. I remember watching a documentary about a potential Mars lander for NASA that added windows after potential crew started running simulations and checking ergonomics in it purely because the astronauts like to see outside with their own eyes. Modern warships often have windows unrelated to ship operations too. Bridge windows on starships are still a bad idea but then so is a bridge at the outside of the hull because of the Dukat method of preventing a ship from escaping.

Post edited by Evade on

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,236 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was 10 forward not windows in TNG? I knew the bridge was a view screen but I always thought the cabins and elsewhere on the ships were windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's much more efficient to design aircraft without windows too but we generally don't as it creates a claustrophobic experience for the passengers. Most Starfleet ships are peace-time exploration vessels so the trade-off of being more vulnerable in battle vs having a more pleasant living experience makes sense imo. I've noticed the USS Defiat doesn't have any windows.

• Advertisement

Defiant does have a few windows on the model, on the underside on the bulges near nacelle housings facing toward the opposite side of the ship, but none of the interior sets seem to have any.

Advertisement