Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted Phone Victim

Options
  • 23-07-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a phone from a third party for my significant other that was sealed and stated as sim free. The phone worked away fine for her for the last two weeks when suddenly all network functionality stopped.

Doing some research online resulted in me establishing that the phone was subsequently blacklisted by Eir and the original owner/person who sold it to me has reported it lost/stolen in a scam.

Long story short I contacted the website the sale was agreed on and am waiting on a callback from my local fraud division about sourcing the owner and having the Garda dealing with him. Cant get anywhere with Eir, understandably as I am not the customer attached to the phone directly, but I was hoping anyone on here may have advice on how to proceed with this in terms of hopefully getting my money back in some way (unlikely at this point) or somehow making the phone viable again (happy to enter an agreement with Eir be it a fee or joining their network).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Demios wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a phone from a third party for my significant other that was sealed and stated as sim free. The phone worked away fine for her for the last two weeks when suddenly all network functionality stopped.

Doing some research online resulted in me establishing that the phone was subsequently blacklisted by Eir and the original owner/person who sold it to me has reported it lost/stolen in a scam.

Long story short I contacted the website the sale was agreed on and am waiting on a callback from my local fraud division about sourcing the owner and having the Garda dealing with him. Cant get anywhere with Eir, understandably as I am not the customer attached to the phone directly, but I was hoping anyone on here may have advice on how to proceed with this in terms of hopefully getting my money back in some way (unlikely at this point) or somehow making the phone viable again (happy to enter an agreement with Eir be it a fee or joining their network).

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the Gardai will do for you.

Blacklisting is done for a number of reasons, stolen, lost, Insurance replacement or non payment of a bill. ( its a network request/instruction)

The only entity that can request lifting of a blacklisting is the network and they will not do so to facilitate you signing up on a contract.

Added to the difficulty is the phone is registered to someone else and the dreaded GDPR kicks in.

To be blunt, the phone is essentially useless and no sugar coating will change this fact. At best you might have some recourse from the website you purchased it from but if its done deal or similar, not worth the effort I'm afraid.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the Gardai will do for you.

Blacklisting is done for a number of reasons, stolen, lost, Insurance replacement or non payment of a bill. ( its a network request/instruction)

The only entity that can request lifting of a blacklisting is the network and they will not do so to facilitate you signing up on a contract.

Added to the difficulty is the phone is registered to someone else and the dreaded GDPR kicks in.

To be blunt, the phone is essentially useless and no sugar coating will change this fact. At best you might have some recourse from the website you purchased it from but if its done deal or similar, not worth the effort I'm afraid.

I hear you :(

It's crazy that this seems to be commonplace yet the network's seems to be uninterested in rooting out these people who are clearly scamming their insurance/replacement policy.

I've read that the phone should be viable outside the Irish networks but i don't think I'd like to take on the risk of selling it to someone only for them to run into potential issues also.

'Caveat emptor' springs to mind.

But even with the loss of the phone, I'm going to stick with it in terms of having the Garda involved. I reckon with the details ive sourced and what the website said they'd be willing to hand over to the Garda in terms of identification of the seller I'll stick with it. CCTV where I sold is an option too. (Met in a public place and the guy returned to his family car). I'll end up like Columbo at this rate 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I hear you :(

It's crazy that this seems to be commonplace yet the network's seems to be uninterested in rooting out these people who are clearly scamming their insurance/replacement policy.

I've read that the phone should be viable outside the Irish networks but i don't think I'd like to take on the risk of selling it to someone only for them to run into potential issues also.

'Caveat emptor' springs to mind.

But even with the loss of the phone, I'm going to stick with it in terms of having the Garda involved. I reckon with the details ive sourced and what the website said they'd be willing to hand over to the Garda in terms of identification of the seller I'll stick with it. CCTV where I sold is an option too. (Met in a public place and the guy returned to his family car). I'll end up like Columbo at this rate 🙈

It's not that networks are not interested, they are restricted from discussing this device, it's history etc because of GDPR, I suspect the device was blacklisted because of billing issues. Sadly the Gardai will see this a civil matter. I wouldn't waste to much time on it to be honest, I've dealt with these type of issues from a network perspective for a long time, the fact the device worked for a few days satisifys my belief a billing issue, it wouldn't have worked from the outset if it was reported stolen or an insurance replacement. Makes it all the more outrageous, selling the device knowing it would likely be blacklisted.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

A common scam is getting an upgrade and then not paying the bill. This leaves a brand new sealed phone which is blacklisted.

The websites / networks / shops will be prosecuted by the data protection office if they give you any info. However, if the gardai make an official data request, the flood gates open.

If they do this and it turns out the seller is the person who stopped paying, that is fraud, prosecution. The issue is getting a guard to take an interest in this. They have such a work load, it will be a low priority.

If you bought it off donedeal, adverts, gumtree or ebay, they will be prosecuted if they release any info about the seller. It MUST be an official request by the gardai. Used to be called a section 8 request, but it is now a different description. Once the request is officially made, full release of data will happen.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Gardai are more interested in this now than before. It's not a civil matter as a fraud was possibly committed. https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Cyber-crime/I-ve-been-caught-out-by-an-online-scam-What-should-I-do-.html

A civil matter is if it stopped working and you were in contact with the seller and an argument of fixing it ensued. If the seller sold it to you and was deceptive in their description / fraudulently sold it, then its a criminal act.

You need to get the right garda though - some of them just don't give a sh1te. Avoid calling at potential busy periods or at shift change.

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    Gardai are more interested in this now than before. It's not a civil matter as a fraud was possibly committed. https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Cyber-crime/I-ve-been-caught-out-by-an-online-scam-What-should-I-do-.html

A civil matter is if it stopped working and you were in contact with the seller and an argument of fixing it ensued. If the seller sold it to you and was deceptive in their description / fraudulently sold it, then its a criminal act.

You need to get the right garda though - some of them just don't give a sh1te. Avoid calling at potential busy periods or at shift change.

Thank you, I will look into this more. I dont mind hounding my local fraud dept as I wont be letting this one go by a long shot. Clearly deceptive as they waited a few days to avoid any issues quickly after the sale before initiating the blacklisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your at nothing, it's either fraud or a billing problem.
    The fraud is between the network and the Gardai, the default on the bill is between the phone owner and the Network.
    Your unfortunately the Piggy in the middle with no rights whatsoever.
    See can you sell it for parts, screen etc is worth something if it's not an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

That's why I'd never buy a phone on Done Deal. I only use adverts and buy from sellers that have been on the site a while and have good rep..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Happened to myself before.

Was only blacklisted in Ireland so sold it on to someone in the UK via ebay and worked for them no bother.

Couldn't get anywhere with three but got most of the cash back this way in the end.

Could be a different system now days??? Check below and it will tell you where it's blocked.

https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/

That's why I'd never buy a phone on Done Deal. I only use adverts and buy from sellers that have been on the site a while and have good rep..

I used Adverts and in fairness the persons feedback was nothing but positive.

They've gone dark since myself and adverts tried contacting them about it though.

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Happened to myself before.

Was only blacklisted in Ireland so sold it on to someone in the UK via ebay and worked for them no bother.

Couldn't get anywhere with three but got most of the cash back this way in the end.

Could be a different system now days??? Check below and it will tell you where it's blocked.

https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/

Thanks for the tip, I am hoping to avoid selling it on again as I purchased it for my significant other but if I get nowhere with the Garda that will probably be my next port of call sadly.

Thanks for the tip, I am hoping to avoid selling it on again as I purchased it for my significant other but if I get nowhere with the Garda that will probably be my next port of call sadly.

What crime had been committed? You bought a working phone with 0 warranty, it worked now it doesn't.
    Sell it for whatever you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

What crime had been committed? You bought a working phone with 0 warranty, it worked now it doesn't.

It’s stolen property.... so despite the OP paying for it he does not own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If the phone was stolen, you should be happy the thief hasn't benefited from stolen goods.

I suppose it could be a scam by the original owner - reporting it stolen for insurance then selling it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I used Adverts and in fairness the persons feedback was nothing but positive.

They've gone dark since myself and adverts tried contacting them about it though.

Link the users adverts profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Also, afaik it's only blacklisted on Irish networks.

whippet wrote: »

It's not stolen. It's was either purchased with fradulent documents or the owner defaulted on their bill.
    OP has no claim here anytime soon. Could go down the small claims route, it's pretty much dragging on the head fcuk though, get what you can for it and move on.

Another option is find a broken one for cheap that's genuine and put his good parts into it.

If he's been on adverts a while maybe mods can help, See will he cut a deal, don't leave him bad feedback if he promises to sort it out. His reputation might be more valuable than the phone. The pair of them are after getting done.

According to a detective I spoke to, Criminal Justice Act, Section 6

"Making gain or causing loss by deception.

6.—(1) A person who dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another, by any deception induces another to do or refrain from doing an act is guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both."

Had to look it up myself. According to the network that blacklisted it they are actively looking into this kind of scam regularly and are happy to engage with the Garda should a form be submitted for more information. Adverts were the same.

Link the users adverts profile.

Not going to do that until I've been advised by the authorities.

I accept the phone is surely a goner but I am determined to have this person looked into. They've a bunch of phones come and gone on the website. Mainly withdrawn rather than stated as sold.

I also spoke to a kind sales guy in a Eir store and he reckons it's common that people get upgrades and later report them stolen/missing and claim another on insurance and sell the soon to be blacklisted phone. That would explain why it worked initially after the sale. Can't trust anyone these days sadly

The Eir guy gave you one example of why a phone can be blacklisted, it's more common the phone was taken out on a new contract and the bill was never paid. As per the terms of most phone contacts the device remains the property of the network until the contract is complete.
    You won't be able to find out the information of how exactly it became blacklisted as that is GDPR protected information that won't be shared with you.
    Your at a loss here, how did you pay for it, PayPal/credit card? Can you get your money back that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Agreed,DD is full of bloody chancers

Agreed,DD is full of bloody chancers

I actually purchased it from somebody on Adverts. They had perfect feedback all along (I'd know better than try DoneDeal), that's what's disappointing about all this. They've had plenty of phones up prior to mine and I know they've purchased off others on Adverts so it's not like they were a new profile.

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

I actually purchased it from somebody on Adverts. They had perfect feedback all along (I'd know better than try DoneDeal), that's what's disappointing about all this. They've had plenty of phones up prior to mine and I know they've purchased off others on Adverts so it's not like they were a new profile.

whats their profile?

1. Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

[HTML][/HTML]
        skinny90 wrote: »
        whats their profile?

I'd rather not say until I hear back from the Garda yet. Also Boards admins might put me on the naughty step.

2. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It is of course trivial to find out...

https://www.adverts.ie/20874279

3. Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

It is of course trivial to find out...

https://www.adverts.ie/20874279

I know, but I didn't want to the one doing the sleuthing seeing boards and adverts are connected. ;)

Notice the amount of withdrawn ads, alot of those were pulled after sales were completed. Unsure how this wasn't flagged by adverts sooner. I couldn't have been the only person who fell foul of this seller

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

A lot of phones there, I wonder was the back of a truck involved which is why it’s black listed and the user has disappeared.

5. Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Demios

A lot of phones there, I wonder was the back of a truck involved which is why it’s black listed and the user has disappeared.

Quite likely.

6. Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

A memorable enough username and profile picture for people to avoid in future

7. Advertisement
      8. Posts: 5,369 [Deleted User]

whippet wrote: »

How is it stolen? It was sold.

Look, it's section 6 theft but proving it? That's the challenge. Phone companies claim they will help investigations but in reality they do the absolute minimum to avoid more hassle.

For future reference op, report it to the Gardai and adverts, don't bring it up on a public forum.

Advertisement