Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacklisted Phone Victim

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Demios wrote: »
    I used Adverts and in fairness the persons feedback was nothing but positive.

I wouldn't say that the feedback was nothing but positive.I would not have bought a high value item off that user at all. The fact that none of his ads are marked as sold but all withdrawn is a bit strange.

Ive been on adverts since it was a forum here on boards and the amount of scammers since it changed to the model its on now is ridiculous. Even feedback cant really be trusted anymore.
    The dodgy users build up positive feedback by either taking loads of free stuff or by buying cheap stuff until they have some positives and then they start selling and scamming people.
    That user isn't even sms verified never mind address verified and that to me would have been a huge red flag.

I have 411 positive feedback which Ive built up over 12 years or so and that's was by being honest , not trying to rip people off and being completely transparent. With high value items I insist on the buyer seeing it working and usually insist on the same if Im buying something.

Im posting this with some tips for others so they can avoid this situation in the future.

1. Check and see if the seller is at least sms verified - address verified is better as they receive a postcard in the post that has to be sent back to adverts HQ in order to get address verified and this can be a great help with something like this.

2. Read their feedback and even go back and see what items they bought or sold - if its made up of just free stuff and really cheap items Id exercise caution. If they mark everything as withdrawn and not sold Id be questioning their feedback.

3.No post - ever. I will not post an item or buy an item where the seller insists on postage - this probably should be number 1 on this list. The only time Ive been attempted to be scammed was by a user who insisted on posting even though they were less than 10 kms from me. I always,always collect or deliver / meet up and have driven all over the country if something is worth the price. If they are in a car I always take a pic of the reg.

4.Usually if its too good to be true then it is...The honest sellers know the value of something and wont let it go at what seems like the bargain of a lifetime. Yes there are bargains to be had and there are users that I would buy / sell with regularly and if they have something that I want or vise versa we can usually come to a good deal but that's built up from years of trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

If a phone is factory unlocked, can it still be blacklisted?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

skinny90 wrote: »

Its an IMEI block. Network locking is irrelevant to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

skinny90 wrote: »

The IMEI number is blacklisted on all networks in Ireland.

As far as I know, it's illegal to change the IMEI in Ireland.

The best option is to try to convince a mobile network to remove the IMEI from their blocklist by providing proof of purchase. Not sure an adverts.ie page showing a withdrawn ad from pig_benis will cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's not a hope the network will whitelist the phone, they won't even talk to you if your not the registered owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Demios wrote: »
    I know, but I didn't want to the one doing the sleuthing seeing boards and adverts are connected. ;)

Notice the amount of withdrawn ads, alot of those were pulled after sales were completed. Unsure how this wasn't flagged by adverts sooner. I couldn't have been the only person who fell foul of this seller

Is that the phone you bought? It's always advised against off thread dealing (think it is still a rule) and that alone would have been enough to turn me off the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

antix80 wrote: »
    The best option is to try to convince a mobile network to remove the IMEI from their blocklist

Won't happen, only option (to recover something from the deal) is to sell it to someone on an non-Irish network, but perhaps technically this might be selling stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Not all is lost. As the phone is unlocked, try sell it to someone in the U.K. or EU. I buy a lot of phones from the USA/U.K. etc that are blacklisted there but work perfectly here in Ireland. Unless you’re buying from someone up North or the U.K, never buy a new/like new sealed phone.

Advertisement