Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin query

• 23-07-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for this stupid question but I have no idea
    Currently am with Sky and everything was grand up until 18 months ago when we started losing channels, they've your a few times but still not fixed. So im thinking of changing to Virgin media. Checked online and my address can get everything.
    How do Virgin get the TV signal into my house?
    Do they use a satellite dish?
    The reason I ask is that we built on an extension a few years ago and there is no cables for a TV.
    Sky ran their cable in at the time but don't know if virgin will use that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭swampy353

wilser wrote: »
    Currently am with Sky and everything was grand up until 18 months ago when we started losing channels, they've your a few times but still not fixed. So im thinking of changing to Virgin media. Checked online and my address can get everything.
    The reason I ask is that we built on an extension a few years ago and there is no cables for a TV.

Virgin use a cable based system, so the run a physical wire to the house which will give you tv and bb. Virgin are able to link into the cabling that sends your sky signal around
    Just be aware that the channel selection is more limited than with sky, just check that what you want is available. Also if you are getting it, would ask for the new v6 box, the current horizon box is fairly ropey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Delta2113

No guarantee Virgin can use old Sky cable. It must meet certain standards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You need to be passed by their cable network in the first instance. That will usually mean living in a reasonably large town. If you’re in the countryside you’ll likely be out of luck (though there is an IP-only Virgin TV Anywhere sub available).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

icdg wrote: »
    You need to be passed by their cable network in the first instance. That will usually mean living in a reasonably large town. If you’re in the countryside you’ll likely be out of luck (though there is an IP-only Virgin TV Anywhere sub available).

If only they had already mentioned that they checked that part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

wilser wrote: »

I have a picture heavy thread showing virgin media installed in my home:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=615932

I later reinstalled myself using higher quality Belden 1694A RG6 cable all documented in the thread there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Delta2113 wrote: »
    No guarantee Virgin can use old Sky cable. It must meet certain standards.

Virgin media use RG6 cable which looks like coaxial cable used by sky but its different shielding and a thicker core,
    Best quality RG6 cable if purchasing yourself to is "Belden 1694A RG6"
    I've used it to reinstall virgin media within my home from the fibreoptic box in to the house and throughout.
    Also for sky I reinstalled myself using "Webro WF100" twin sat cable,
    Both cables well worth the investment purchased on ebayuk shipped via AddressPal or parcel motel

Advertisement