Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use a Google Calendar to manage employee appointments?

Options
  • 23-07-2020 10:46pm

Hi Folks,

This is all hypothetical, of course, but let's say for argument sake, you run a business, which has 10 people who work for you. You are a window and door company. 5 of your staff are sales men, and 5 are fitters.

All your staff are freelance/contractors and only work for you when you've work for them. Otherwise they're off doing their own jobs.

Can you use google maps in the manner I'm about to describe?

You have a bunch of random appointments coming in. People want to see samples, others want windows fitted. Employee #1 has to meet mary with a sample book on tuesday at 10am, and Employee #2 is meeting steven at 3pm on wednesday. But he has to return back to steven again on the following monday at 11am. All the other employees have similar random appointments to tend to.

Can I, as the person managing all 10's appointments, create a google calendar that will allow me to invite each individual employee to it. Effectively giving me 10 sub-calendars (that I can name, for example, after each employee, so i can know whose calendar im looking at, easily). Allowing me to share each calendar with the employees, but each employee only sees their own schedule/appointments.

On a standard google calendar 'event' you can add info, so I could stick in mary's address and phone number, and when Employee 1 is finished with mary, he can update the 'event' with her window measurements, that I can then see.

Etc etc

Is this plausible, or alternatively, is there a similar-but-different approach to take?

In my head it makes sense, but not sure I'm overlooking something obvious.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

KKV wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

This is all hypothetical, of course, but let's say for argument sake, you run a business, which has 10 people who work for you. You are a window and door company. 5 of your staff are sales men, and 5 are fitters.

All your staff are freelance/contractors and only work for you when you've work for them. Otherwise they're off doing their own jobs.

Can you use google maps in the manner I'm about to describe?

You have a bunch of random appointments coming in. People want to see samples, others want windows fitted. Employee #1 has to meet mary with a sample book on tuesday at 10am, and Employee #2 is meeting steven at 3pm on wednesday. But he has to return back to steven again on the following monday at 11am. All the other employees have similar random appointments to tend to.

Can I, as the person managing all 10's appointments, create a google calendar that will allow me to invite each individual employee to it. Effectively giving me 10 sub-calendars (that I can name, for example, after each employee, so i can know whose calendar im looking at, easily). Allowing me to share each calendar with the employees, but each employee only sees their own schedule/appointments.

On a standard google calendar 'event' you can add info, so I could stick in mary's address and phone number, and when Employee 1 is finished with mary, he can update the 'event' with her window measurements, that I can then see.

Etc etc

Is this plausible, or alternatively, is there a similar-but-different approach to take?

In my head it makes sense, but not sure I'm overlooking something obvious.

Cheers :)

I don't know if I read this correctly but you want a shared calender with you and each individual employee.

There might be other ways but you need a calender for you and each individual employee.

You can just share individual calendars with each employee by sharing the calender, with their Gmail account.

You can update the calendar as well and have it that the calendar is view only or edit on both sides.

I'll elaborate more tomorrow but there will probably be a YouTube video on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can do this but the management of it may become unwieldy. Obviously if you are doing quoted work and invoices it makes it even more difficult to trace.
    . honestly your probably better of sourcing some entry level field service software. Plenty on the market plenty do free trials. All should be able to cater for jobs dispatch, quotes and simple invoicing. Signature capture . Photos etc.

Free ain't always the best. Google calendar is good but it comes with drawbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DanieSuad

Your use of the calendar is very successful. But I have to agree with @kala85. Google Calendar is not always convenient for complex tasks. Many free alternatives can make your work routine easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

try float.com ... it is a couple of quid a month for each person you are scheduling. Its simple, clear and can be updated easily .. there are apps for the users and it can link in to an outlook calendar easily

I use it to manage about 30 resources at the moment and find it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, our company has done so for years without any hassle, plan before you implement though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 babygirlsela

I often find it useful to offer scheduled sign ups during a limited period of time. For example, I sometimes hold short tech consulting sessions as part of a conference. Other times, when I will be in a community for a day, I have chunks of time available for client meetings. I will definitely use the ability to create bookable appointment schedules for these sorts of events, then share the link with people who may want to meet.

No way dude. GPDR and all that. Employee details stored where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 babygirlsela

I can't give any details about the staff. But the store near arizona is more about antique products.

Advertisement