Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Staycation Tax Break

• 24-07-2020 7:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Has anyone looked at this incentive to spend and get a tax break

Is it up to 625Euro and only starts in Oct and runs till April next year

now maybe it's just me but I usually vacation during Summer months

This incentive seems to rule out any tax break on Spending in July-August-Sept

Am I reading it wrong??

Comments

Hospitality shut down just before St Patrick’s day and is no where near fully opened yet. That’s a lot of months to make back up for employees and the winter months would usually be quieter with less employment opportunities.

This is incentivising people to go away in that period. There’s a mid term break end of October, 2 weeks off school at Christmas and another mid term break Feb/March.

That’s my take on it anyway. I’m not interested in going away at the minute with all the restrictions and hopefully we’ll be in a more normal way of living by the last quarter of the year. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I imagine that it will be used more for weekend breaks, Sun Mon Tue breaks etc rather than the traditional one or two week breaks people take abroad. If it can help fill up hotels etc during the Winter/Spring it willbe worthwhile.
    Reports from last weekend show that Killarney Galway Westport were quite busy even allowingfor social distancing so it will be important to try and spead the spending out to the other areas. If people who have no work/school commitments can be encouraged to get away mid week it would be a good boostfor counties like Roscommon, Offaly, Cavan that have a lot to offer but wouldnt be recognised as traditional tourist spots

County tourist boards need to start thinking outside the box. Enclose main streets under big tarpaulin sheets with outdoor heaters and street entertainment.

Goats don’t shave may have predicted the future - “We’ll have our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal”

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doggerland

A holiday in Ireland is far too expensive for me normally to consider. If prices remain as normal and even with this tax break, it still doesn't make sense to.

doggerland wrote: »
    A holiday in Ireland is far too expensive for me normally to consider. If prices remain as normal and even with this tax break, it still doesn't make sense to.
    I agree with you there. You might get a reasonable weekend or midweek hotel break for a couple but family holidays are exhorbitant especially when the weather is bad and you have to spend on indoor attractions ( if there are any)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Maybe if the Hotels weren't interested in price gouging us in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

doggerland wrote: »

Booked a house in West Cork for €650 for a week last week - family of 4. Would've cost much more than that to go on a foreign holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sure Leo has said it is now ok to go on non essential travel to green list countries so why bother with a holiday here where they will just look to gouge as much as they can out of you?

Also listening to the today show on RTE this morning with a report from Dingle it seems that locals don't want the tourists or else want anyone going there on holidays to stay in their hotel rooms. Why would you holiday here if this is the way the locals are treating you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Delta2113

In theory you will be able to go to your local Restaurant( maybe pub?) and spend 25 euro each time on a meal and non alcoholic drinks and get a receipt and then claim via an app.

The Restaurant must be registered as a recognised facility with Failte Ireland.

So maybe a Carvery,desert and ask the guy for some unopened bottles of Soft Drink to take you over the 25 euro. Put the soft drinks in a bag and then have a few pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Booked for a two night break Sept 30th and Oct 1st - wonder will we be able to avail of the tax rebate for the first night too - will it depend on date of payment or date of stay?

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Sure Leo has said it is now ok to go on non essential travel to green list countries so why bother with a holiday here where they will just look to gouge as much as they can out of you?

Also listening to the today show on RTE this morning with a report from Dingle it seems that locals don't want the tourists or else want anyone going there on holidays to stay in their hotel rooms. Why would you holiday here if this is the way the locals are treating you?

You will always get ignoramuses. The hotel staff wont turn you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Edgware wrote: »
    You will always get ignoramuses. The hotel staff wont turn you away.

Hopefully not. We have a stay booked for mid-term, 3 nights. But it is a different county than where we live. Should I cancel it ? It is part of the Irish Government's "stay and spend" tax scheme.
    The Irish Government is promoting this "staycation" travel. The hotel has not cancelled my booking.
    There is no law about me using this government incentive, or is there such a law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭billyhead

How do you find out if a hotel is part of the scheme. Is there a published list?

billyhead wrote: »
    How do you find out if a hotel is part of the scheme. Is there a published list?

You just upload your receipt on revenue.ie. Doesn’t matter where you stay or where you eat as long as you reach minimum spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

https://www.ros.ie/stay-spend-web/rev/sas

You can check here

Cancelled my trip today.
    €450 accomodation and another €450 on spending for a family.
    This was supposed to be a government tax incentive scheme. What a farce.
    My next trip will be abroad, as far away as I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭billyhead

Am I right in thinking that you can't claim back the tax refund until around February when you normally claim refunds on tax relief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

You just upload your receipt on revenue.ie. Doesn’t matter where you stay or where you eat as long as you reach minimum spend.

Not correct hotels.,resturants have to sign up to staycation scheme for you to avail of receipt .

Am I right in thinking that you can't claim back the tax refund until around February when you normally claim refunds on tax relief?

After my failed attempt to do the right thing, I don't know, nor longer care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How do they differentiate between takeaway and eat in? Like McDonalds are on the list. If I get drive through there, no takeaway means it's not eligible, but how do they tell?

Same if you order from any restaurant and collect the food. Understand, it's easy to rule out likes of Dominos, Four Star etc, but surely for lots of places, it will be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,459 ✭✭✭✭L1011

titan18 wrote: »
    How do they differentiate between takeaway and eat in? Like McDonalds are on the list. If I get drive through there, no takeaway means it's not eligible, but how do they tell?

Same if you order from any restaurant and collect the food. Understand, it's easy to rule out likes of Dominos, Four Star etc, but surely for lots of places, it will be difficult.

Most receipts say takeaway on them, in my experience. If it doesn't say they really can't know.

That said, eat in for McDonalds right now is impossible for instance; but I don't think they'll be bothered working out what restaurants had outdoor tables and what didn't during Phase 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

L1011 wrote: »
    Most receipts say takeaway on them, in my experience. If it doesn't say they really can't know.

That said, eat in for McDonalds right now is impossible for instance; but I don't think they'll be bothered working out what restaurants had outdoor tables and what didn't during Phase 3!

Suppose never really took a close look at the receipt. You've have several restaurants offering collection atm so be nice if you could include them.

afro man wrote: »
    Not correct hotels.,resturants have to sign up to staycation scheme for you to avail of receipt .

I didn’t realise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Scoondal wrote: »
    Cancelled my trip today.
    €450 accomodation and another €450 on spending for a family.
    This was supposed to be a government tax incentive scheme. What a farce.
    My next trip will be abroad, as far away as I can get.

It is a government tax incentive scheme.

Obviously both the customer and the service provider have to follow certain rules, they're relatively simple but there is a bit of "red tape" to help reduce false claims.

Also it was devised when we were coming out of lockdown. The fact that extra Covid restrictions have now been brought in, in an effort to reduce the spread, will make the scheme more difficult to avail of until those restrictions are eased again.

Why are you blaming your cancelled trip on the government scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭The Rooster

That's correct.

Similar to process to claiming medical expenses.

So if you are someone who always file a tax return, then you include them on it.

If you are a PAYE worker who does not usually file a tax return, then you will need to file a Form 12 (a simpler version of the usual Form 11 that is typically filed by self employed people or people with multiple forms of income)

This can all be done online on MyAccount (or ROS for Form 11 filers) on the Revenue website. There's also a Revenue app (Revenue Receipts Tracker App) where you can store your receipts.

Advertisement