Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just saw this add on Facebook, and thought of you Kadman,,,,

€5,000 1969 VW Squareback Nenagh (facebook.com)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You are a bit too late i'm afraid. About 15 years. I looked at that car many years ago with a view to buying it. The owner then wanted 3500 for it. I knew then it needed major body off resto, which he said it didn't. Anyway I offered him 1250 for it due to the work. he said he could bring it to Germany in a day, and sell it there, as is, for 35,000 due to its rarity. I said away with ya. And left it there.

I was surprised to see it advertised a few months ago, in bits, and the asking was 5500. Its as rough as a badgers arse, and needs as much work as the one I am on now. Apart from the fact its in bits and you dont know whats missing, so good luck sourcing that. I dont know whether the current owner is the guy I tried to deal with years ago, but I think not. I was in contact with the current owner to see if I could get a buyer for him for the whole car. No one on the club was interested in it at all. Type 3's are a hard sell here for some reason, but the best car vw made in my opinion. Even as a parts car now its not worth a whole pile, and its going to be hard to find someone as crazy as me to restore one🤣

He had a better chance when it was in 1 piece, could have been done as a rolling resto. I wont be queuing up for it

Maybe you could be tempted out of retirement Jim😁

Yes, I remember you speaking about a car before ( but didn't realize that this was the actual vehicle) so practically speaking, ye are old friends!!!!🙂 But as for me taking on a resto now, not going to happen, and even if I were, it would not be resto started and abandoned by some one else, for sure !!! No, watching you on a daily basis fills my resto urges completely, and I don't mean that in a negative way!!! 😎

I just put a coat of epoxy primer onto the right hand door, outside. Between the showers, furiously. It dried well with the panel heater in front of it, and its a better result than the roller, but I expected it would be. $ parts primer to 1 part hardener and 25% thinner, gave a nice mix for the epoxy with the air pressure at about 40lbs psi. Door is protected now, and the new hinge pins arrive tomorrow for fitting, so the door stands a chance of getting marked, but thats no problem because i intend to do a few coats of primer, then high build primer. So all good.

Spray finish was obviously better than a roller. So weather permitting I would opt for spraying outside. failing that its a roller inside until the wings doors and front boot are in primer.

• Advertisement

Lovely, the more primer I see, the better I like it !! Most important thing now when it comes to spraying or rolling on the primer is that the panel's /wings etc. are warm to prevent moisture forming underneath the paint. Otherwise, going well !!!😎

I pre heat the panels and wings for about 20 minutes with a panel heater before i spray them , and keep the heat on them for 20 minutes after, so they are touch dry . At the moment I have another door to do, and the front bonnet. Then all the metal will either have original paint or new primer on it. And hopefully rust will be banished from all the pieces that i am currently working on.

Post edited by kadman on

Now that i look at it, someone has fucked up the registration. The body style is the later 70's facelift model. The 69 was the earlier body type with the sharknose bonnet as this 67 is. Probably a cockup in the NCT office all those years ago when it was first registered coming into Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Kadman, if they hadn't picked Marisa Tomei as car expert for My Cousin Vinny you would have been a worthy contender.

No way I could match Maris's good looks. I think the Judges face would be a closer match🤣

• Advertisement

I received my new hing pin set from Air Cooled Technology in Galway this morning. Superfast turn around of 3 days from order to door. Perfect result. The existing pins were well rusted and worn, so needed renewing. I had to drill them out, clean the existing barrel part of the hinge, and shim it up with 0.01 shimstock. You know the stuff Jim, it was in every decent garage back in the day, when mechanics actually worked on and repaired items in a car, instead of replacing with new parts.

Re assembled and put back on the door, they work beautifully, fimr and even opening, not too tight, and no stiff points. Its all the little stuff that takes time. But a nice closing door is a true feel of a nice car... How many times do we remark on a classic car how well a door shuts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh a good door close forgives a multitude, nothing more satisfying on an older motor. Off to utoob or somewhere for a collection of just that..

I would say its a fair bet that anyone who has owned a beetle sometime in their life will remember , slamming the fek out of the drivers door to close it, and keep it closed. You would be surprised at the weight of a fully loaded classic vw door. Fully loaded then its a two man job to lift, hold, and fix the door. Unless of course you have the manufactured door holding jig, which I imagine exists. Jim might fill us in there.

Door only without anything else is still tricky to refit, but just manageable by one person. And then the correct German seals make the door. Spurious seals are sponge like rubbish, and have a very short lifespan, months as opposed to years. And the other end of the scale for seals are ones that are more like plastic than rubber. very hard and unforgiving, and you would want the muscles of Arnie to close the door against it.

Kadman, here's a link to the definite identity of each Variant model, and they're identified by chassis Nr.. Hope it will help.

VW Type 3 specs: Fastback, Notchback and Squareback (Variant) (aircooledcommunity.com)

Be they Beetle or Variant, or in fact door fitting in any make of car would be a 2 man job, and that includes a bare door, without any fitting's. One to hold it in position while the other positions it and bolts / screws in the hinges. In the case of hard to close VW doors, that happened a lot in older cars, where the pins wore as you mentioned, and the door dropped. Also in very old cars the bottom of the pillar, where the hinge anchored, would rust and cause the door to drop. The other hinge problem occurred in cars where the passenger door was rarely opened, and the hinges would seize, and yes, that happened a lot, believe it or not. While I've used jigs in many other types of vehicles, I've never had to use them on VW hinge pillars. The center line measurements would be enough, and that would be enough to re-align the pillar, and thereafter, the door itself. But then again, while the principles would be the same, crash repairs and Restorations would be different in many ways.

Handy little article of type 3 facts, I haven't read it for a while. I see the long bonnet was introduced in 69, which meant any car with that update would have been registered in August 69 as a 70's vehicle. So my query on the 69 reged squareback with the long bonnet should be a 70 as I thought.

Now that I had the hinges rebuilt with new pins, I took the opportunity to hang the door to check the shut lines around the door, so as to confirm the positioning of all the components in the body shell, heater channels, and external cills that I welded in.Gap at the door head is nicely lining up, as is the lockstile gap. Door gap at the windsceen slope is perfect for another tweak to increase the gap slightly. I have fitted a .5mm shim on the bottom hinge to give me what I have now, which is great. Normally VW KD assembly had a habit of not getting great door shut lines. But this one is very good considering the work done around the ope. I am well chuffed with it.

Looking at it now its going to be very easy to get a nice door shut when I get that far. The original door had some serious rust all along the bottom of the door, and the skin had seperated due to the rust damage. Best result going forward is to replace the 67 door with a NOS 67 door manufactured in the same year. Win Win.

In case you need, the roof drip rail over the door can be adjusted slightly with a level block of timber, and a 4 lb hammer, tapping it and moving it slowly along the length. Do you have a pic taken standing back a bit to show the whole door, and a bit of the adjoining panels? The MIG welds look very good on the sill panel.😊

No full pic at the moment as both front and rear wings are still off, so not lining up with any other panels. Yeah the plug welds worked out ok, just need to grind them off.

Yeah, the welds look like they got plenty of bite and penetration. They'll be secure even after grinding.

• Advertisement

And here is the rusty bonnet that i sanded today and

treated with rust treatment for later epoxy primer coat.

The last picture shows a close up of the rusted pitted spots turning black from the convertox.

Time was when we encountered rust pitting in the metal ( as in the pic) and after treating it, and then priming it, any imperfections were treated with a paste call "Stoppers" , and when it had hardened, would have been sanded down level with the surface, and then a second priming. I guess that it has long been replaced with something better for filling in micro imperfections?

Very same procedure is going to take place on this bonnet, the only difference being a more modern filler material being used. You cant improve on time tested methods. Old school all the way for me. Name is still the same , stopper, just either resin based which is 100% waterproof, or epoxy, or polyester. Spoiled for choice. I find the old fibre glass resin is great as well in these circumstances. Current priority is to get a coat of epoxy on it to protect it against rust. Then I can "stopper" on top of the primer.

The great thing about new types of materials is either you can fill before or after priming.

This morning the plan is to look at the passenger door which I know is in good order, just to take a long horizontal full length crease out of it with a long panel beaters slapper. A nice therapeutic job.

I decided against using the existing door, due to some superficial degradation along the base of the door, which I could fix, but I have a NOS door of the same vintage, 1967. So why not use it I ask myself.

So plan is to remove surface rust, and treat any rust marks with a convertor, epoxy mastic it. And put it away until I am ready to high build primer it and finish.

Yes, and if I understand you right, you won't have to use the slapper on it........LOL....🤣

As I am using a NOS door, I will be removing 1/2 of the hinge from the existing door, and reusing it on the NOS door. If the p

ins are anything like the 2 removed from the drivers door, they will need removing.As you can see from the pic the two pins are rusted, and the new pins will make a major difference to the door staying in the correct position when closed.

The new pins are listed as original beetle pins standard size. But the online catalogues for the pins say they wont fit the 67 variant. But as you can see they are a perfect match, except for the rust.

The NOS door was stored somewhere by the previous owners way back that allowed water to cover part of it. So I started off having to remove the surface rust, and convert any of the rust marks with the appropriate rust convertor or sealer. Doors are no longer made, and becoming more and more sought after. I will keep the original doors and repair them some time in the future.

After a brief period of sanding with a variable speed disc sander and 60 grit discs especially for metal, i then finished of with emery discs of 10 grit, and half the door is done now, the left hand side of the bottom half has been sanded with both discs, and the right hand of the bottom half only with the 60 grit, and the second half tomorrow.

Looking remarkably straight and damage free. The surface rust, I wouldn't be too worried about it, and it wont present any problems for you. The pins look identical too ( except for the rust as you mentioned) So, looking good.!

Just spraying the front bonnet this morning with a coat of epoxy to keep it in good order for finishing later on. Never realized the lamp was a s close to me when i moved around to the front, and collided with it going backwards, while I was spraying. This left me with 2 bad runs, but it doesnt worry me as I will be sanding any way for more coats, so i can pick that up on the way.

• Advertisement

A light guide coat, and 600 grit and a rubbing block, and your good to go. Believe it or not, but I still have the same black rubbing block that I had when I was working. It was in my tool box the day I left, and its still there. I came across it a few days when I dragged the box out from its hiding place, under the bench. Its full of pre-metric sockets and spanners and that was the size I was looking for. 11/16th to be exact.

Advertisement