Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball Court in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 24-07-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi Dubliners, I find it unfair that there're so many sports facilities in Phoenix Park, but nothing for basketball players. It's hard in this part of the city, I need to cycle over 25 mins to play elsewhere. I created a petition to change that, so please sign and share if you agree!

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/basketball-court-in-phoenix-park

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think this is something that you could write to local Councillors and the OPW about. I'm sure you'd need a petition!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MontyPL

Amirani wrote: »
    I think this is something that you could write to local Councillors and the OPW about. I'm sure you'd need a petition!

Thanks. Yes I've written to OPW, they are not interested saying, that they do other activities and sports events in the park. Therefore I created the petition. Maybe it will help with enough amount of signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

There’s a basketball court in mount Bernard park just beside the Cabra Luas stop if it’s any use to you.

I can’t see the OPW ever putting a basketball court in really. I remember reading before about how they don’t permit things like bootcamps, exercises classes, parkrun etc. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Would you not create an Oireachtas petition instead? Might actually get noticed that way.

@Michellenman I'm starting to realize that. From what I'm hearing recently the OPW seem to be terrible about any improvements, progress and facilities for public. Don't know why, either.

Anyways, let's give it a try. You won't win anything if you don't try! Once we have resonable amount of signs we can then try with TDs and local Councillors, as said before. It's also about the problem being noticed and perhaps having some attention.

@AngryLips I've never heard about them tbh. We'll see, now it's one step in a time. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

As far as I know, there's weekly basketball and courts available in the sports hall on Aughrim Street, if that's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If I remember correctly there's a policy for the phoenix park that only sports that have been played there historically are facilitated. Otherwise the park would be over run with courts for every type of sport out there.

This would seem to agree:
    —(1) The Commissioners shall maintain the Park as a public park for the general purpose of the recreation and enjoyment of the public, and may maintain particular portions of the Park for any special purposes for which the same or other portions of the Park have heretofore been used, or such like purposes as the Minister shall sanction.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1925/act/31/section/3/enacted/en/html#sec3

They'd need ministerial approval because there wasn't a basketball court there in 1925.

This is a very stupid rule, because the world is changing, but thanks for clarifing. It's good to know things like that. Wonder if they had there cycling lines back in 1925... In The Forbidden City in China they found a nice solution installing temporary and movable basketball courts. Maybe that's a solution for summer months in Ireland.

Anyways, it's all about the idea of creating more sport facilities to public and more basketball courts in Dublin, if not inside Phoenix Park then in the surranding areas. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for your signs, it's over 100 now :)

Advertisement