Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing slates to a block wall.

• 24-07-2020 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭

I have some old, thin roof slates that I want to use in the garden to cover a block wall, just to improve its appearance. If I apply cement mortar to the backs of the slates will they stick to the blocks? Is there anything I can add to the mortar/approach I can take to make them stick?

They have at least one nail hole, but I am not seeing slate nails going into concrete blocks, it might help if the nail penetrated the mortar though?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What about products like TEC 7
    The other idea is to actually slate it properly with lathes

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

If all your slates have good nail holes then screw then to the wall. Lot of holes to drill but could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The tiles are varied and with in a lot of cases overly worn nail holes - they would not be suitable for a roof for example. The nail holes would not hold the slates in place on their own. I want to use the slates more like tiles, just to cover the wall rather than 'slate' it. I am just concerned that the smoothness of the slates would not key into the mortar, unlike tiles which have a roughish back.

Edit, I wonder would a waterproof tile adhesive work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

looksee wrote: »
    The tiles are varied and with in a lot of cases overly worn nail holes - they would not be suitable for a roof for example. The nail holes would not hold the slates in place on their own. I want to use the slates more like tiles, just to cover the wall rather than 'slate' it. I am just concerned that the smoothness of the slates would not key into the mortar, unlike tiles which have a roughish back.

Edit, I wonder would a waterproof tile adhesive work?

You could use expoxy grout as an adhesive, it specifically states that it's both an adhesive and grout and would be totally waterproof. It's grip on any surface is frightening but it's near impossible to get in Ireland without a special order and thus it's price is eye watering. I was quoted between €101 and €189 for a 4kg tub from 5 different Ardex suppliers.

Silicone should work but the back of each slate would need to be well covered as any gaps could lead to slates cracking if there was any pressure applied.

If the slates are varied are you intending to break them and make a sort of mosaic. Otherwise varied slates with nail holes stuck to a wall mightn't look very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I would just buy lats(2*1 1/2) , steel nail them to the wall and then nail the slates to them the same as you would on a roof. They won't fall that way, they would definitely slip down if you tried to stick them.
    If the nail holes are gone you can just bore a new hole on the same line down from the top but in or out from the side wherever you can nearest the old holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could use expoxy grout as an adhesive, it specifically states that it's both an adhesive and grout and would be totally waterproof. It's grip on any surface is frightening but it's near impossible to get in Ireland without a special order and thus it's price is eye watering. I was quoted between €101 and €189 for a 4kg tub from 5 different Ardex suppliers.

Silicone should work but the back of each slate would need to be well covered as any gaps could lead to slates cracking if there was any pressure applied.

If the slates are varied are you intending to break them and make a sort of mosaic. Otherwise varied slates with nail holes stuck to a wall mightn't look very good.

If I did make a mosaic I would still have the same issue of sticking them in place! I can cope with the design aspect of making them look good, the practical issue of making them stick is the problem. Thank you for the epoxy suggestion but it would be outside my budget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Tec7 or no more nails instant grab, etc. Use a batten for each row. Start at the bottom if you want them to overlap.

Advertisement