Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Executive Officer, Local Authority 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

Interview is final stage. I asked during the test call and they said they're aiming for the end of this month for panel positions.

well if the last interview is on the 13 I can't see why not

• Registered Users Posts: 44 PeachL00pies

I don't even know how many they could possibly have for interview? There weren't that many slots available across the two weeks so it will probably be a small enough panel.

I don't even know how many they could possibly have for interview? There weren't that many slots available across the two weeks so it will probably be a small enough panel.

yeah think they start today, best of luck to anyone this week, mine is next

does anyone know how long the interview lasts? Just trying to work out how long my answers should be

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

Out of the race myself but I would be interested in hearing about the interviews after everyone has wrapped up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tiddlywinks22

With this been the final stage and less than 30 been interviewed and ranked on panel after. Would i be correct in presuming strong chance of been offered a position as its national interviews so not that many for each local authority or could they call more to interview stage for a specific region?? or do they select from the few they have on panel

With this been the final stage and less than 30 been interviewed and ranked on panel after. Would i be correct in presuming strong chance of been offered a position as its national interviews so not that many for each local authority or could they call more to interview stage for a specific region?? or do they select from the few they have on panel

I'd say if you pass the interview you have a good chance as long as there are positions available. I put down 6 anyway so I'm hoping at least one of them has to have something! They would have to use this list as much as possible first but if there are missing regions etc I assume they will call through the next batch from 2001 - 400 maybe for the video interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭flended12

crinkley wrote: »
    ... if there are missing regions etc I assume they will call through the next batch from 2001 - 400 maybe for the video interview

I finished between the 200-400 batch, fingers crossed.

flended12 wrote: »
    I finished between the 200-400 batch, fingers crossed.

I'd say there would be no harm in getting prepared for the video interview, I'm sure you'll find the questions on this thread somewhere. Fingers crossed

I'd say there would be no harm in getting prepared for the video interview, I'm sure you'll find the questions on this thread somewhere. Fingers crossed

During the video interview you will be asked to record a response to the following four questions:

Introductory Question – 1 minute 30 seconds – (Not Scored)
    Please give a brief overview of why you feel you are suitable for the role of Senior Executive Officer. In your response, please make reference to your career to date and motivation for this particular position. (Note: This question is not scored)
    Question 1 – Delivering Results – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of a time you were responsible for delivering results. In your response, describe how you delivered the service/project, with a focus on operational planning, management of resources (e.g. human, financial), monitoring standards and overcoming difficulties.
    Question 2 – Strategic Management & Change – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of a time you devised, implemented and evaluated a strategy/policy to meet a specific change objective. In your response, describe how you went about this, who was involved and what impact this strategy/policy change had.
    Question 3 – Performance through People – 3 minutes
    Please give a specific example of leading and managing a team to ensure high performance. In your answer, please describe your approach to communicating with and motivating staff, building effective teams and monitoring standards.

• Advertisement

I'd say if you pass the interview you have a good chance as long as there are positions available. I put down 6 anyway so I'm hoping at least one of them has to have something! They would have to use this list as much as possible first but if there are missing regions etc I assume they will call through the next batch from 2001 - 400 maybe for the video interview

Great. Hopefully now and fingers crossed 🀞
    Anyone do interview this week, how did ye find it in general terms?

I had my interview this week - I was happy with how it went. There were a good few questions throughout and some time at the end to provide additional information. This was the first time I've interviewed for PAS and I thought the questioning and set-up was fair enough. I was given information on the format at the start by the Chair and the outline was very clear. My call dropped halfway through but it didn't impact the interview as I got straight back in.

I had my interview this week - I was happy with how it went. There were a good few questions throughout and some time at the end to provide additional information. This was the first time I've interviewed for PAS and I thought the questioning and set-up was fair enough. I was given information on the format at the start by the Chair and the outline was very clear. My call dropped halfway through but it didn't impact the interview as I got straight back in.

So pretty much a STAR interview, the AP thread had begun to freak me out a bit as it seemed their interviews diverged from this model.

Can I ask if you needed to refer to your application, I may have to find a printer somewhere, one downside of working from home

So pretty much a STAR interview, the AP thread had begun to freak me out a bit as it seemed their interviews diverged from this model.

Can I ask if you needed to refer to your application, I may have to find a printer somewhere, one downside of working from home

I was advised by PAS to have my letter of application printed for the interview. The Interviewers mentioned reviewing my application, but didn't refer to it throughout the interview.

I would say the AP thread is more accurate; its not traditional STAR, the questions moved too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

Hi - Great to here the interviews were straightforward in approach
    Can i ask did each person on board take a particular competency for assessment/funnelling?

tungsten wrote: »
    Hi - Great to here the interviews were straightforward in approach
    Can i ask did each person on board take a particular competency for assessment/funnelling?

Fair panel.Competency focussed throughout...funnelling for detailed responses.Very pleasant board

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roverroy

Well done folks. Everyone seems to be positive enough after the interview so fingers crossed

Such a relief that is over now. Panel was lovely was not how I imagined the interview to go or how I had prepared for it but felt I could answer the questions and just hope I hit the competencies as I had to go off script a bit

Good luck everyone and hopefully it won’t be long, knowing there’s so few of us makes it feel like I’m not in competition with anyone so fingers crossed everyone passes

Such a relief that is over now. Panel was lovely was not how I imagined the interview to go or how I had prepared for it but felt I could answer the questions and just hope I hit the competencies as I had to go off script a bit

Good luck everyone and hopefully it won’t be long, knowing there’s so few of us makes it feel like I’m not in competition with anyone so fingers crossed everyone passes

Nice post!Anyone know when results are scheduled for?

tungsten wrote: »
    Nice post!Anyone know when results are scheduled for?

Well take this with a pinch of salt but I sat on an interview panel 2 years ago we interviewed 25 finished on the Thursday met on the Friday to do the merit list and send to hr and candidates knew the Wednesday

I’m hoping we hear this Friday but maybe Friday week

• Advertisement

Was really hoping for feedback at the end of last week - driving myself up the walls...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chappiec81

Hopefully might get a call if there's another round or 2 in 2021. If anyone who has done it has any more tips on what was asked etc. it would be appreciated. Best of lucky to the ones finished so far.

Chappiec81 wrote: »
    Hopefully might get a call if there's another round or 2 in 2021. If anyone who has done it has any more tips on what was asked etc. it would be appreciated. Best of lucky to the ones finished so far.

if I was to redo it I would spend more time learning the competencies than preparing a full answer as it wasn't that kind of interview.

have a short answer and example for each aspect of the competency as you wont get through a full answer and hit them all.

Hope that makes sense

Was also hoping to hear today as I see the candidate portal is down for maintenance tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chappiec81

if I was to redo it I would spend more time learning the competencies than preparing a full answer as it wasn't that kind of interview.

have a short answer and example for each aspect of the competency as you wont get through a full answer and hit them all.

Hope that makes sense

Was also hoping to hear today as I see the candidate portal is down for maintenance tomorrow afternoon

Thanks for that. I'm sure I'm be waiting a while if at all but it all helps. Good luck on the panel.

I heard early December if it helps

missed out on strategic management and change by 5 but scored well in the others, disappointed obviously. Hope others got better news

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cat4789

Same by 5 too. Wasn’t expecting to pass though. But definitely disappointed as felt my competencies were strong. Did everyone get asked really specific closed questions about local authorities? I was just really taken aback by the line of questioning such as what is the lifetime of the corporate plan. There were about 6 other right/wrong questions in line with that.

Cat4789 wrote: »
    Same by 5 too. Wasn’t expecting to pass though. But definitely disappointed as felt my competencies were strong. Did everyone get asked really specific closed questions about local authorities? I was just really taken aback by the line of questioning such as what is the lifetime of the corporate plan. There were about 6 other right/wrong questions in line with that.

yeah I got caught on local gov reform very specific question, I had prepared a more traditional competency interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cat4789

Ok that’s good to know that it wasn’t just me. Very surprised that PAS asked such specific questions. I am this grade equivalent in civil service so have been through PAS competitions and was just so surprised that such questions would be asked in an open competition. I will know for next time!

• Advertisement

It may have been your board.my board didnt ask such specifics on local gov.kept high level

Advertisement