Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Connolly (IND) wins Leas-Cheann Comhairle vote

Options
  • 24-07-2020 12:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0723/1155156-ceann-comhairle/
    Independent TD for Galway West Catherine Connolly has said she is in shock after her election as the new Leas-Cheann Comhairle or Deputy Chair of the Dáil.

She beat Fine Gael's Fergus O'Dowd by 77 votes to 74 in the secret ballot.

It is being seen as a surprise result in Leinster House, considering the coalition parties have 84 votes between them.

Ms Connolly is the first woman to be elected to the position of Ceann Comhairle or Leas-Cheann Comhairle.

Historic moment. She will keep them honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doggerland

Never thought the same of her, after she gave her council seat to her sister after she became a TD. Healy Rae stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Call me when there's a female taoiseach, then we'll see Ireland actually join the 21st century like new Zealand.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Call me when there's a female taoiseach, then we'll see Ireland actually join the 21st century like new Zealand.

Or the 20th century, like our nearest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She has been an excellent contributor to debate in the Dail and is well thought of across the House.

BTW I don't want a female Taoiseach if she turns out to be a Maggie Thatcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What relevance to the stewardship of the country does the sex of the Taoiseach have? It’s over 40 years since Mrs Thatcher became the PM of one of the G8 countries and they’ve had another female PM since then, lots of females PMs in the EU over the last 40 years and it’s just not a big deal.
    Why can’t we just grow up a bit and accept that sex is not an impediment to advancing in the world of politics anymore?

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    She has been an excellent contributor to debate in the Dail and is well thought of across the House.

BTW I don't want a female Taoiseach if she turns out to be a Maggie Thatcher.

It's almost as if... the gender of the person doesn't matter, rather their abilities... Dangerous stuff to say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

More cracks in MM Fianna Fail. This is great drama.

Ah Fann, this is senior hurling, there always be a few digs. That will keep things lively and interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

splinter65 wrote: »
    What relevance to the stewardship of the country does the sex of the Taoiseach have? It’s over 40 years since Mrs Thatcher became the PM of one of the G8 countries and they’ve had another female PM since then, lots of females PMs in the EU over the last 40 years and it’s just not a big deal.
    Why can’t we just grow up a bit and accept that sex is not an impediment to advancing in the world of politics anymore?

Very weak argument

Might have been a bit of pay back there to Leo too, half thinking he was still Taoiseach with his pronouncements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Very weak argument

very generous to call that an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

That was put to the people, they decided against what was on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

doggerland wrote: »
    Never thought the same of her, after she gave her council seat to her sister after she became a TD. Healy Rae stuff

I didn’t know you could gift council seats.

I thought you had to get elected.

There’s a pretty strong argument to be made that the public backed Mary Lou McDonald for Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Sure didn’t she ‘win the election’?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seems to have been a sizeable enough amount of TDs from within the govt party's that voted against poor auld Fergus.

Dáil Éireann right now be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

KiKi III wrote: »
    There’s a pretty strong argument to be made that the public backed Mary Lou McDonald for Taoiseach.

Eh, no there isn't.

It is one of the silliest and weakest arguments made recently on these boards and shows a complete lack of understanding of how democracy in Ireland works.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Eh, no there isn't.

It is one of the silliest and weakest arguments made recently on these boards and shows a complete lack of understanding of how democracy in Ireland works.

I'm no shinner, but there are three roughly equal major parties now; two of them have consistently lost ground over the last few years and one has consistently gained ground.

So which of them would you say has been given the greatest mandate by the public; those losing front benchers or those making historic gains?

Advertisement