Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric bike kit

Options
  • 24-07-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

any had experience with these guys, https://www.swytchbike.com/, or similar conversion kits?

Sounds like a great idea, good promo video, but got to be a catch in real life, right? (probably the price!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

BBC Click covered this very recently:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m2POsEuP94#t=128s

Very balanced reporting IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been looking at one for my wife's Brompton but reviews are mixed on this. Installation seems a bit messy, and there are issues with connections and especially the pedal sensor. I'm not sure if the technology is fully developed enough yet to be worthwhile tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I got a similar kit from online in a couple of weeks and good value for money. The swytch was tempting but the low capacity and weight on the handlebars put me off.

I ended up with a more expensive mid drive and it has been great. My wife has front drive kit and while I stick my nose up at it due to the better experience of mid drive she loves it.

https://www.greenbikekit.com/electric-bike-kit/front.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If I was going with any of them Id go with Andy Kirbys stuff and do it properly tbh, Ive followed him on Youtube for a long time and he seems genuine compared to all the junk out there, link to his shop in the video description, not necessarily recommending this particular kit as I havent tried anything myself yet:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I often wonder for road bikes with wider bottom bracket shells (e.g. BB386EVO), is there a readily available system where the crankset spindle contains a motor and the battery can fit in the down tube. In other words it is effectively hidden (aim is aesthetics rather than deception btw) from view, is light weight and doesn't affect aerodynamics. It would be turned on and off via a small Ant+ or bluetooth head unit.

The main purpose of something like this is to offer a little assistance when the road goes up or the wind blows hard. It's the type of thing that they are now checking for in pro race but something that is generally available. It should also be easy enough to remove it from the bike

I could see such a system being a huge win in the sportive/club spin domains. I would envisage the entire system adding no more than 1.5 kg to the weight of the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I often wonder for road bikes with wider bottom bracket shells (e.g. BB386EVO), is there a readily available system where the crankset spindle contains a motor and the battery can fit in the down tube. In other words it is effectively hidden (aim is aesthetics rather than deception btw) from view, is light weight and doesn't affect aerodynamics. It would be turned on and off via a small Ant+ or bluetooth head unit.

The main purpose of something like this is to offer a little assistance when the road goes up or the wind blows hard. It's the type of thing that they are now checking for in pro race but something that is generally available. It should also be easy enough to remove it from the bike

I could see such a system being a huge win in the sportive/club spin domains. I would envisage the entire system adding no more than 1.5 kg to the weight of the bike

Yup. Gruber Assist / Vivax Assist

Advertisement