Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to contribute €16 billion more than it receives to EU in next 7 years

Options
  • 24-07-2020 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭

Ireland will contribute vastly more to the seven-year EU budget (which is separate to the recovery fund) than we get back. In fact, according to a German MEP who has the official figures, Ireland will contribute almost €16billion more than it receives, while Italy and Spain will be net beneficiaries.
    Hmmm. Are we being taken for mugs?

Contribution.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Best boys in the class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So what, you thought we'd just be leaching off the richer countries forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If I was German, looking at that, I wouldn't be too happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Time for us to walk away?

Exactly this.

The whole theory is we look after those below and then they get stronger and so on and so forth.

We received more than we gave for 25 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

These are net figures. We have a population of 5 million, while Spain, Italy and Poland have populations of 47, 60 and 38 million respectively.
    Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, but not overly unhappy. Does not got well for Europe when Germany gets unhappy.

German jobs and prosperity depend on demand for their products from within the E.U..
    Irish GDP and GNP figures are just distorted due to marketing the Country as a tax haven within the trading block to multinationals who produce little here.
    A German Man auf der Strasse should be happier than an Irish man on the street.

With this in mind, can we forego the semi finals and go straight thru to the Eurovision next year, like the other 'big boy' countries? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Whilst I appreciate this, and honestly its the correct statement to make, don't forget the non direct monetary benefit Ireland gives up with say our massive territorial waters and fishing rights. So its not as clear cut.

We are handing up a massive resource and getting money in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Exactly this.

The whole theory is we look after those below and then they get stronger and so on and so forth.

We received more than we gave for 25 odd years.

We're contributing far more than Germany, France, Austria, Belgium etc. per capita. Great that we're so loaded in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

40 odd years taking German taxpayers money and some suggest walking away when we have to make a net contribution.

You have to laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

noodler wrote: »
    40 odd years taking German taxpayers money and some suggest walking away when we have to make a net contribution.

You have to laugh

probably the same people who complain about scroungers on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Germans love the weak euro. They are hardly going to start giving out knowing how much they gain by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Looking at the countries on the right who are clearly a (broadly) prosperous and we'll organised bunch, it is nice to be in that grouping rather than the bunch on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Ireland is already €230+Billion in debt because these two traitorous parties. A country the size of Ireland has no business being this deep in debt. We'll never be able to pay this back.

You have to laugh

Why do you have to laugh? I know we are doing relatively ok, but why are we expected to pay more per capita than any other country in the EU?
    And what does long spent 40 year old money have to do with anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why do you have to laugh? I know we are doing relatively ok, but why are we expected to pay more per capita than any other country in the EU?
    And what does long spent 40 year old money have to do with anything?

We're not - Luxembourg pay more per capita.

We are paying more because we are doing better. This should be something to be celebrated. God knows we have taken advantage of our membership for decades.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    We're not - Luxembourg pay more per capita.

We are paying more because we are doing better. This should be something to be celebrated. God knows we have taken advantage of our membership for decades.
    Luxembourg is a Duchy with a population of half a million mostly millionaire families. It has a debt to GDP of 22.10%
    Doesn't count to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

You have to laugh

I was having a laugh, I should have made that clearer. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Ireland is already €230+Billion in debt because these two traitorous parties. A country the size of Ireland has no business being this deep in debt. We'll never be able to pay this back.

230bn because we borrowed our way through a recession and pandemic?

You realise only about 40bn of that relates to the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I'd think we should be a net contributor to be honest but I also think the Southern countries get a ridiculously good deal. Spain and Italy get vast sums but do very little to encourage becoming net contributors themselves.

I can only say for Spain after living there for a decent period, they have a huge bloated public services (way worse than here), loads hired to do very little and a number hired to clean and keep things tidy in a way we can only dream of. Every single person I dealt with and company was paying/being paid a portion officially and a portion in cash, that went from multinational employers, car dealerships, electronic stores etc...

If Ireland had the same attitude, had lots of county council workers cleaning the streets all day every day, invested in a full public health system we'd be running massive deficits and bringing in even less tax every year too.

In over 30 years in the EC/EU they still remain one of the most unequal societies and the poorer never seem to improve their living and income standards.

I can only guess why it's allowed continue is that they take the brunt of the migrant crisis, have quite a big market base and provide cheaper labour to the big companies.

I'd love to see how the decision on who pays what amount is decided, it must not be a debt per capita basis as I believe Ireland is around 45K and Spain 25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I'd think we should be a net contributor to be honest but I also think the Southern countries get a ridiculously good deal. Spain and Italy get vast sums but do very little to encourage becoming net contributors themselves.
    and Italy

Italy have been a net contributor since 2007 at least.
    I'd love to see how the decision on who pays what amount is decided, it must not be a debt per capita basis as I believe Ireland is around 45K and Spain 25K.
    Contributions are based on Gross National Income of a member state. A large chunk of what decides the funding received from the MFF is Gross Domestic Product of constituent regions (countries for EU investment funding are split into multiple regions with their own 'level of development' For example, Ireland is split into two regions: One of which (South and East) is considered highly developed, while the second region (everything else) is considered 'Transitory', ie: not exactly underdeveloped but certainly lagging behind the EU average).

Our GNI is inflated due to the multinational giants our economy is hugely reliant on. This does mean there's a chance we're contributing a bit more than we should be, but it's not incumbent on the EU to change the rules because we have made an economy reliant overwhelmingly on foreign companies through policy choices. (I've always been against our over reliance on multinationals, both for economic growth and for tax intake, and do believe our government should do more to invest in our own native business sector - but this is our problem to solve, and not the EUs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Has this been discussed at all in the Irish media? I have to say that I haven't heard or seen it discussed but perhaps I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

230bn because we borrowed our way through a recession and pandemic?

You realise only about 40bn of that relates to the banks?

We had most of this debt racked up before the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Ireland will contribute vastly more to the seven-year EU budget (which is separate to the recovery fund) than we get back. In fact, according to a German MEP who has the official figures, Ireland will contribute almost €16billion more than it receives, while Italy and Spain will be net beneficiaries.
    Hmmm. Are we being taken for mugs?

Contribution.jpg

So we become rich by receiving huge amounts of EU funds over the years and having free access to the EU single market, and now simpletons are complaining because we now have to be a net contributor?

We should be immensely proud of this. Remember many countries didn't want us to join in 1973 because we were considered too poor. Now we contribute more than Austria because we are a wealthy country. That is remarkable.

Also shows how far Italy has fallen - they have historically been a big net contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Has this been discussed at all in the Irish media? I have to say that I haven't heard or seen it discussed but perhaps I missed it.

There has been little too no discussion about the Irish net budget contribution that I've seen.

Some have put it down to an near impenetrable EU document, while the more conspiracy minded have said it's an effort to keep the unvarnished truth from the population for fear it would assist/aid euroscepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So we become rich by receiving huge amounts of EU funds over the years and having free access to the EU single market, and now simpletons are complaining because we now have to be a net contributor?

This is really just the EU getting a fair share of our over-sized corporation tax take.

That's a bit harsh. There was no quid pro quo that I remember, it was the other nations that decided at the time to be net contributors to assist Ireland's development.

For a €15bn net contribution, there is no harm (I'd argue it's essential) in looking to see what we're getting from the investment. And the answer of "continued participation in the single market isn't good enough". I've said before that the market could exist without the huge budgets.

If the Irish tax take grows by an average of 3bn per year (without changes to rates) over the lifetime of the budget as a result, then it will have been a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

That's a bit harsh. There was no quid pro quo that I remember, it was the other nations that decided at the time to be net contributors to assist Ireland's development.

For a €15bn net contribution, there is no harm (I'd argue it's essential) in looking to see what we're getting from the investment. And the answer of "continued participation in the single market isn't good enough". I've said before that the market could exist without the huge budgets.

If the Irish tax take grows by an average of 3bn per year (without changes to rates) over the lifetime of the budget as a result, then it will have been a good investment.

Why is single market participation not good enough? It costs money to enforce and regulate a huge single market. Without that single market, you can be sure we would be impoverished as companies would have to move to the big markets on the continent.

A lot of the money going to Poland is being spent on building new highways criss-crossing the country. This will benefit everyone, and create new markets for higher value Irish goods. Exactly as what happened here.

• Advertisement

I can only say for Spain after living there for a decent period, they have a huge bloated public services (way worse than here), loads hired to do very little and a number hired to clean and keep things tidy in a way we can only dream of. Every single person I dealt with and company was paying/being paid a portion officially and a portion in cash, that went from multinational employers, car dealerships, electronic stores etc...

If Ireland had the same attitude, had lots of county council workers cleaning the streets all day every day, invested in a full public health system we'd be running massive deficits and bringing in even less tax every year too.

In over 30 years in the EC/EU they still remain one of the most unequal societies and the poorer never seem to improve their living and income standards.

I can only guess why it's allowed continue is that they take the brunt of the migrant crisis, have quite a big market base and provide cheaper labour to the big companies.

Wow. I mean, wow. They do not have a bloated public sector. They have a very efficient public sector. They have the numbers needed to actually run the place nationally unlike Ireland. They have the numbers so you don't spend months waiting for a meeting or a doctor's visit.

They have a fairer public pension scheme. They have better social services and the poor as you describe them, benefit immensely from the systems in place.

I was never paid cash on hand, always done through the books but yes, cash in hand happens just as it does in Ireland.

That's not how the eu numbers are decided though and Spain isn't running massive deficits.
    With this in mind, can we forego the semi finals and go straight thru to the Eurovision next year, like the other 'big boy' countries? :)

You realise they pay for that right? You want Ireland to pay to be in the Eurovision.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    We're contributing far more than Germany, France, Austria, Belgium etc. per capita. Great that we're so loaded in fairness.

We're one of the highest income countries as well though. Per person income, the Irish are very high up. Higher than any of those countries and we pay less tax as well.

This is not a bad thing for us. The mistake we make is we give everything back in tax breaks instead of increasing services.

Advertisement