Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to contribute €16 billion more than it receives to EU in next 7 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

mick087 wrote: »
    Do you think democracy is never in your lifetime having an opportunity of voting to remain or leave the EU?

You don't get a referendum just because you want one.

If you feel one is necessary (it's not), go out and campaign for it somewhere other than boards.ie.

Build a grassroots movement, put pressure on politicians, develop a media strategy.

And if you can get enough of the public to back you, you'll get a referendum.

Very unlikely you'll manage it as the EU is wildly popular in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

KyussB wrote: »
    We've had several "shit or get off the pot" moments with the EU already, where it's been clear we have to federalize already, or we have to roll something back (the Euro, to merely being an exchange currency alongside national currencies) until we're ready to federalize - and we're just kicking the can down the road continuously instead, while watching our economies fester and become more and more unequal, leaving upcoming generations behind and unable to work to afford a sustainable and good quality of life, and watching right-wing parties gain greater and greater power in Europe as a result of dissatisfaction with all of this.

Jeez....
    Is it just right wing parties gaining power we need to worry about? Macron is right wing? The new Spanish govt? Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I meant far-right xenophobic type parties. Most parties in Europe are right-wing if judging by economics - it's the rise of the far-right which the economic malaise within Europe is promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

This thread really does show how oblivious the Irish people are to the benefits of the EU and what Ireland has got out of them

Easily one of the smallest countries to take huge amounts of money from the EU to invest in Ireland, and the one time we are asked to give a bit back people are demanding we jump ship? We owe the EU absolutely BILLIONS but are shocked when we see 16BN being paid back.... come on now, its not a free money tree, there is give and take in everything, if I see Eirexit on facebook next I will just have to laugh at the stupidity, we would all be Farmers and earning minimum wage if it were not for the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

KiKi III wrote: »
    You don't get a referendum just because you want one.

If you feel one is necessary (it's not), go out and campaign for it somewhere other than boards.ie.

Build a grassroots movement, put pressure on politicians, develop a media strategy.

And if you can get enough of the public to back you, you'll get a referendum.

Very unlikely you'll manage it as the EU is wildly popular in Ireland though.

Im not looking for a referendum i said i have never been given the chance of being in or out of the EU. Im stating that once in every generation should have that choice.

Campaigning what makes you think that. I am in no political party and id have to take bits from each to find my perfect political party.

Yes i agree when enough want a referendum then of course there should be one.

Again your right at the moment the EU does have the support of the people in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im not looking for a referendum i said i have never been given the chance of being in or out of the EU. Im stating that once in every generation should have that choice.

Why if as you admit the polling shows its support is 90%+, it would be a waste of time and money and devalue the purpose and reasons for having referendum.

Should once in a generation then also have the right to re decide about every single previously approved referendum to our constitution as well? Here's a list in case your not aware how many that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Ireland#List_of_amendments_and_referendums

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You think we should rerun every referendum once in a generation just to be safe?

If there is ever sufficient clamour for it, there will be a referendum. Who cares if there isn't one when it quite evidently wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing. There are ways of expressing choice other than a referendum.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You think we should rerun every referendum once in a generation just to be safe?

If there is ever sufficient clamour for it, there will be a referendum. Who cares if there isn't one when it quite evidently wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing. There are ways of expressing choice other than a referendum.

Yes i do believe every generation should have referendum on EU membership.

I agree at the moment there is not much call for a referendum.
    Yes there is not be a chance in hell of Ireland leaving tomorrow if we held a referendum.
    But 3 years or 10 years or 20 years down the line opinion changes.
    Would you agree and open to a referendum if public opinion changes?

Don't glue the door shut for future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes there is not be a chance in hell of Ireland leaving tomorrow if we held a referendum.

if public opinion changes sufficiently then a referendum would be warranted. having one because every generation deserves to have their say is nonsense.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is nonsensical, how would it even work?

If there is ever support for leaving then eventually a political party will emerge and gain enough support to be able to bring a referendrum. Where is the door being glued shut?

• Advertisement

Why? And then why not also on every other previously passed referendum to our constitution?

awec wrote: »
    This is nonsensical, how would it even work?

If there is ever support for leaving then eventually a political party will emerge and gain enough support to be able to bring a referendrum. Where is the door being glued shut?

Why is this nonsensical?

Yes i agree at the moment there would be little interest in leaving the EU.
    Would you also agree with me that public opinion does change?

Definitely the door is not glued shut on EU membership for Ireland.

if public opinion changes sufficiently then a referendum would be warranted. having one because every generation deserves to have their say is nonsense.

Yes when and when public opinion changes then yes then a referendumshould be called.
    Every generation does deserve to have there say.

Why is this nonsensical?

Yes i agree at the moment there would be little interest in leaving the EU.
    Would you also agree with me that public opinion does change?

Definitely the door is not glued shut on EU membership for Ireland.

Because giving every generation a vote on it is unworkable. What does that mean, a vote every 10 years? 20 years?

Yes when and when public opinion changes then yes then a referendumshould be called.
    Every generation has it's say already. All generations vote in our elections, and are free to vote for any anti-EU parties or candidates that they want.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Why if as you admit the polling shows its support is 90%+, it would be a waste of time and money and devalue the purpose and reasons for having referendum.

Should once in a generation then also have the right to re decide about every single previously approved referendum to our constitution as well? Here's a list in case your not aware how many that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Ireland#List_of_amendments_and_referendums

Yes i agree at the moment there is no point to a referendum. I would not see the point of one at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

We shouldn't be surprised. With Britain leaving, there's a big hole in fiances left. We should expect to pay more and more for membership in the coming decade.

Because giving every generation a vote on it is unworkable. What does that mean, a vote every 10 years? 20 years?

You might have point it might be unworkable then again it might work out

I have no idea what that means a vote every 10 years? 20 years?

you keep saying
    what do you actually mean by that?

Well what is "a generation" ?

You said every generation deserves a say, this implies you want regular referendums. I am wondering just how regular you are thinking?

• Advertisement

Yes i agree at the moment there is no point to a referendum. I would not see the point of one at the moment.

Well then what are you arguing for? If there is enough public support down the line a referendum can be called, there is nothing to stop that as you seem to think there is?

Every generation has it's say already. All generations vote in our elections, and are free to vote for any anti-EU parties or candidates that they want.

Yes spot on we vote for our Goverment and loan them the powers they have, if we are not happy we vote them out and takeaway there powers.

I don't see this system changing.
    So yes we are free to vote if we wish for a anti EU party now or in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote:
    Yes when and when public opinion changes then yes then a referendumshould be called. Every generation does deserve to have there say.

The Dail can decide to hold a referendum on EU membership or anything else. When enough elected TDs want such a referendum, it will take place. That's how our representative democracy works

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Exactly this.

The whole theory is we look after those below and then they get stronger and so on and so forth.

We received more than we gave for 25 odd years.

We're up to our neck in debt because the EU decided that we were expendable to save Spain. We've given plenty already.

you keep saying
    what do you actually mean by that?

No i don't keeping saying that.
    It was said to me roll back.

Do you think democracy is never in your lifetime having an opportunity of voting to remain or leave the EU?
    Not a quetion of me me getting my way Graham, it was the fact that the treaty was rejected and within 48 hours we was told to Vote again.
    Do you think that was fair and democratic?

Is democracy never in my lifetime to have an opportunity of voting to remain or leave the EU?
    I dont think having a referendum once in every generation on memebership of the EU is a misconception.

Elect someone to represent me in an organization that didn't listen to me in the past is not an easy task.

Yes i am free to stand for election and i have discussed this. But i dont Currently think the majority in Ireland would vote to leave the EU. Of course in time opinions change.

Campaigning what makes you think that. I am in no political party and id have to take bits from each to find my perfect political party.

Yes i agree when enough want a referendum then of course there should be one.

Again your right at the moment the EU does have the support of the people in Ireland.

No i don't keeping saying that.
    It was said to me roll back.

a couple of times you have said it or something very similar. what do you mean by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bambi wrote: »
    We're up to our neck in debt because the EU decided that we were expendable to save Spain. We've given plenty already.

I hope somebody is paying people to post drivel like this because it is too scary to think anyone actually thinks like this.

First Up wrote: »
    I hope somebody is paying people to post drivel like this because it is too scary to think anyone actually thinks like this.

https://countryeconomy.com/national-debt/ireland

Please, do continue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Bambi wrote: »

How does that prove this silly claim?
    EU decided that we were expendable to save Spain.

• Advertisement

How does that prove this silly claim?

You might explain that noticeable jump our debt took in the chart.

Be sure to touch upon the findings of the Banking Inquiry report regarding one Mr Trichet, and the same tactics being applied to Greece during the same period, as stated by the former deputy head of the IMF. The compare it to how the ECB acted when Spain looked like it was going to the wall a few yearts later.

Or you can just recite the mantra that we all partied and move quickly on. :o

Advertisement