Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to contribute €16 billion more than it receives to EU in next 7 years

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

10 years ago, the Troika were forcing us to cut €2 billion in spending per year.
    Now we all see what they were up to. The property charges, water charges and universal social charge, wage cuts. It was all to pay the EU.

Nothing at all to do with a global financial crash and needing to pay for stuff like water?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graham wrote: »
    Nothing at all to do with a global financial crash and needing to pay for stuff like water?

its all interlinked, we decided to ultimately kick cans down the road, particularly since the crash, and we re slowly catching up with them now, this ll get interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The EU already got their pound of flesh from us over that. Massive interest rates on their loans and forcing us to pay back the unsecured bondholders.
    I think this is what it's about
    "If you can't increase the 12.5% for multinationals, tax the people instead. We want it one way or the other."

The EU already got their pound of flesh from us over that. Massive interest rates on their loans and forcing us to pay back the unsecured bondholders.
    I think this is what it's about
    "If you can't increase the 12.5% for multinationals, tax the people instead. We want it one way or the other."

again, i think this is a failure in human thinking more than anything, we re still more or less stuck in trickle down thinking, all of our economic systems and processes are effectively stuck in this thinking, the problem is us humans as a whole and our thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Kalico92 wrote: »
    The UK was also a net contributor and left partly based on this argument. Do we really need to entertain the idea that we'd be better off without the EU?

Yes we should always keep an open mind on leaving the EU.

We should always not only entertain the idea but if and when public opinion changes then we should then leave the EU After a referendum of course.

• Advertisement

The EU already got their pound of flesh from us over that.

Some would say it was a mess of our own making and access to cheap EU money to get out of it rather than expensive alternative borrowing was a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Some would say it was a mess of our own making and access to cheap EU money to get out of it rather than expensive alternative borrowing was a good thing.

It was a good thing for somebody. Definitely good for Spain, Portugal, Italy and Poland. Not so much for us. :)

mick087 wrote: »
    Yes we should always keep an open mind on leaving the EU.

We should always not only entertain the idea but if and when public opinion changes then we should then leave the EU After a referendum of course.

at the moment, it would be a dreadful idea, it would probably lead to a catastrophic collapse of our economy which we may never recover from, but things can and do change.

it was of course partially our own making, but it truly was deep eu and global institutional failure within our political, economic and financial institutions, and we havent changed much there, we re simply defaulting, which probably wont end well for us all

It was a good thing for somebody. Definitely good for Spain, Portugal, Italy and Poland. Not so much for us. :)

You did mention your preference for international financial suicide.

I disagreed then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

listermint wrote: »
    This is one of those threads

Isn't it.

They come along often and I struggle to see where our free education went to.
    I don't remember learning anything about the EU in school.

• Advertisement

I don't remember learning anything about the EU in school.

i actually did in college, bored the bollocks outta most of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Ireland is being sanctioned through the back door.
    The EU (Germany and France) are not one bit happy with our tax status and multinational hub.
    The recent apple ruling rubbed salt in the wound.

London is the capital of European finance
    Ireland is the hub of European multinational tax legal avoidance .

Is it now 1 in 6 euro collected by the exchequer comes from multinationals?
    When that bubble pops Ireland is up shīt creek

Ireland is being sanctioned through the back door.

Do you think all net contributors all being sanctioned through the back door?

Do you think all net contributors all being sanctioned through the back door?

No just Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No just Ireland

Do you think membership of the EU is worth more or less than 2Bn a year to the Irish economy?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Do you think membership of the EU is worth more or less than 2Bn a year to the Irish economy?

More.

Do you think 2 billion a year is worth more for public spending in Ireland for the irish taxpayers or send to Brussels

More.

Do you think 2 billion a year is worth more for public spending in Ireland for the irish taxpayers or send to Brussels

we cannot survive without the eu, we would be crushed if we left

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    we cannot survive without the eu, we would be crushed if we left

We are a net contributor now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'd be all for helping the EU as a whole.
    But when liberal countries in the EU allow an influx of non-EU immigrants from Africa and Middle East countries, typically through the southern EU countries and we have to subsidize that, there has to be a point to say stop. I'd say at some point in the future there will need to be military intervention to stop uncontrolled migration of Africans to Europe.

We are we letting Africans into the EU and even into Ireland ?
    Who is behind it ?
    Is it nameless economists trying to say we need to import more people to meet pension and workforce demands ? If that's the case it's better to subsidize existing EU citizens to have larger families.
    If it's some liberal bleeding heart thing to let "refugees" in, then women and children should be let in, not adult men.
    Although that brings about it's own problems, with single mothers not able to control their teenage sons.

I've read about broad conspiracy theories about trying to get other countries to start to accept Africans because climate change is going to force non-Equatorial countries to accept massive numbers of them in the next 50 years with climate change.

Look at all the adverts on TV... they're slipping in happy family images of interracial couples every 15 minutes. Who is behind that ?
    Is it just lazy marketing... trying to throw in as many market segments into one advert scene? Or just English marketing, where they had 40 or 50 years of mixed marriages from their colonial past and immigration policies.

Conspiracy Theory forum this ****e

maybe true, but leaving is not an option, i suspect the uk is gonna find this out very soon, baring in mind, they were only half in, we re full in

• Advertisement

maybe true, but leaving is not an option, i suspect the uk is gonna find this out very soon, baring in mind, they were only half in, we re full in

The UK want to leave. Europe said ok. Europe said you must not undercut us and must stick to EU standards. UK said no we are leaving. We are independent we can do as we please. EU say no.

Hotel California

I didn't mention anything about us leaving. Debate is possible regarding eu budget contributions without spitting the dummy and leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

And?

The UK want to leave. Europe said ok. Europe said you must not undercut us and must stick to EU standards. UK said no we are leaving. We are independent we can do as we please. EU say no.

Hotel California

I didn't mention anything about us leaving. Debate is possible regarding eu budget contributions without spitting the dummy and leaving.

i will agree that the eu is a hotel california situation, but we re in desperate need of its reform, wont be easy though

i will agree that the eu is a hotel california situation, but we re in desperate need of its reform, wont be easy though

EU is only going to become more centralized. Brussels will take more and more power from countries. The decisions come from Brussels. The entire bloc now owes money and that is the leverage that will be used to make decisions.

Sovereignty is disappearing. That's the price of being part of a hugely successful economic union. You don't get a choice.

All in all we are definitely better off being in Europe but we will do as we are told

EU is only going to become more centralized. Brussels will take more and more power from countries. The decisions come from Brussels. The entire bloc now owes money and that is the leverage that will be used to make decisions.

Sovereignty is disappearing. That's the price of being part of a hugely successful economic union. You don't get a choice

good points, but the more power and control centralizes, the more tension will be created within the union, hopefully current eu deals(funding etc) are the beginning of the union truly uniting, we ll see

good points, but the more power and control centralizes, the more tension will be created within the union, hopefully current eu deals(funding etc) are the beginning of the union truly uniting, we ll see

There will never be true unity. There are too many different cultures and opinions. Anyone who goes against the forced rule from Brussels is made to be a villain. I predict a constant steady rise of anti eu sentiment. We are seeing it throughout Europe already. If a euro sceptic party takes control in France at next election all bets are off

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

The UK want to leave. Europe said ok. Europe said you must not undercut us and must stick to EU standards in exchange for access to the single market. UK said no we are leaving. We are independent we can do as we please. EU say no trade deal in that case.

I fixed that for you to make your statement at least somewhat accurate. It's amazing you still don't understand what the arguments are between the UK and EU are after 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

i actually did in college, bored the bollocks outta most of us
    Seems to almost be by design tbh.

There will never be true unity. There are too many different cultures and opinions. Anyone who goes against the forced rule from Brussels is made to be a villain. I predict a constant steady rise of anti eu sentiment. We are seeing it throughout Europe already. If a euro sceptic party takes control in France at next election all bets are off

true, there probably will never be 100% unity, whatever that even means, but cultural differences are good, and should be protected, encouraged to survive and be shared. if we can create processes and systems to share the wealth better in the eu, it would probably reduce rising tensions across the union. yup the rise of euro skepticism is lethal for us all, even the more wealthier countries of the eu, we all need each other

• Advertisement

I fixed that for you to make your statement at least somewhat accurate. It's amazing you still don't understand what the arguments are between the UK and EU are after 4 years.

UK leaving on wto rules and the EU having zero say in how the UK operates seems the best option so.

Sovereignty of uk fishing waters also

Advertisement