Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a Point on Garden Stakes

• 24-07-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any helpful hints on how to cut a point on a 5 cm square Garden stake. I don't think there is something like a monstrous pencil parer. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chainsaw or an Arbortech type blade.
    Or a plane.
    Mark your lines in pencil and carve up to the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eexTpxykUPM
    This kind of thing is what I have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use a circular saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

I wouldn't recommend a chainsaw or circular saw for this unless you are experienced with using them. 5cm sq isn't a large piece of wood.

All you need is a sharp hatchet and a block of wood / stump to cut down onto. Make the cuts from a kneeling position so if you miss the wood you don't hit your shin :)

another safe and easy option is a drawknife.

Or a monstrous pencil parer !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A sharp handsaw will work if you are well set up with it in a comfortable position.
    Just mark it out carefully
    I use a small table saw

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Mark it all round with a square then mark off two opposing faces, cut down to the line with a sharp handsaw. Mark again on the freshly sawn faces and cut again. A few minutes work and no need to over think it- it'll be buried in the ground anyway! Be sure to put some preservative on the cut surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does it need to be a point?
    I presume the pointy end is going into the ground?

If so, just cut the end off at 45*, or make two of these cuts that meet in the middle. (if you make 4 you have a point, but seems like overkill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Small axe.

Advertisement