Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Alienist [Netflix]

• 24-07-2020 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

"The Alienist opens when a series of haunting, gruesome murders of boy prostitutes grips New York City. Newly appointed police commissioner Theodore Roosevelt (Geraghty) calls upon criminal psychologist (aka alienist) Dr. Laszlo Kreizler (Brühl) and newspaper illustrator John Moore (Evans) to conduct the investigation in secret. They are joined by Sara Howard (Fanning), a headstrong secretary determined to become the city's first female police detective. Using the emerging disciplines of psychology and early forensic investigation techniques, this band of social outsiders set out to find and apprehend one of New York City's first serial killers."

Really enjoyed series 1. It's kinda like a cross between Mindhunters and Babylon Berlin. As for season 2 on Netflix, it looks a slightly convoluted but soon enough route:
    https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/when-will-the-alienist-season-2-be-on-netflix/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Im really surprised there is no traction on this. Excellent show. Im halfway through the 2nd series and its one of the few series I am following at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The first season is great, haven't gotten round to the second yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has gone under the radar for me but must try to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The second season is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Up to episode 5 of season 2; with the 3 main characters developed in season 1, season 2 can explore their dynamic a bit more, while an even darker crime is taken on by the trio.

The title of season 2 has the addition of “:Angel of Darkness”, as its based on the second book of the series by Caleb Carr. The new story in this, though less gory, is more unsettling, yet more intriguing. It's more slow burn than the first, but more enthralling.

Irishman Stuart Carolan, the showrunner, producer and writer of Love/Hate, has the same duties in Angel of Darkness. Notable then is the addition of Michael McElhatton in a decent role, and small roles for Peter Coonan and Peter Reid.

• Advertisement

Excellent seconds series; building well on the very good first series.
    Grim but gripping. What raised it up was, firstly, the burgeoning love story; that old ‘will-they-won’t they?’ technique- it worked great. Secondly, rather than having
    an unknown killer in the background as in the first series, this had a who-dunnit element, with the killer in front us, which meant- once revealed- .a rich characterisation was possible, with which to explore and add drama.
    Brilliant acting and attention to detail, this is highly recemmended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just finished the first season and 1 episode into the second season..... this show is great...
    the story was a total surprise, very well done.

Really enjoyed season 1.
    But season 2 has a bit of a Spice girls meets Jessica Fletcher bang, haven't got past 1 1/2 episodes.

Have I wronged it?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

No, I didn't enjoy the second season much at all. They should have renamed it "The Lady Detective" as it seemed like the alienist was very much a supporting character.

No, I didn't enjoy the second season much at all. They should have renamed it "The Lady Detective" as it seemed like the alienist was very much a supporting character.

I hadn't even noticed that the Alienist himself had been somewhat sidelined, until it was pointed out, the story was done so well. Maybe if it was called from the start "The Alienist and friends"...

• Advertisement
Advertisement