Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICB credit card error

• 24-07-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I'm applying for a mortgage and the ICB showed on the credit report a balance for a credit card that it's not mine. Can this happen? has it happened to someone and how have they fixed it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Phishnet wrote: »
    Does the ICB report state who the credit card balance is with. If it does, contact the provider and ask that this data be removed stating that it was placed there in error. IMPORTANT. If you have applied for credit and have been refused, you may have a cause of action to sue for damages, so it is in the interest of the credit card company to have the error rectified as quickly as possible if it has been erroneously placed on your ICB report.

According to my broker, KBC (bank approving my mortgage and carrying the credit check) doesn’t have the info of the CC issuer. I applied for a copy of my record on Friday, hopefully I’ll get it this week. It’s crazy. No arrears, so payments have been made to the credit card, but the overall balance is a little over 3k, that would need to be cleared before the loan offer is done for the mortgage. This may end up in a delay and me not being able to get my approval on time to bid for the property I want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Phishnet wrote: »
    Does the ICB report state who the credit card balance is with. If it does, contact the provider and ask that this data be removed stating that it was placed there in error. IMPORTANT. If you have applied for credit and have been refused, you may have a cause of action to sue for damages, so it is in the interest of the credit card company to have the error rectified as quickly as possible if it has been erroneously placed on your ICB report.

Got my ICB report today. The credit card is with AIB and it’s been paid monthly. On my name and address but it’s not mine. Will contact them tomorrow. This could have terrible consequences for my credit and my possibility of getting a mortgage. Looks like somebody is using it for their own purposes or that the bank has placed someone else’s info on my ICB report.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Got my ICB report today. The credit card is with AIB and it’s been paid monthly. On my name and address but it’s not mine. Will contact them tomorrow. This could have terrible consequences for my credit and my possibility of getting a mortgage. Looks like somebody is using it for their own purposes or that the bank has placed someone else’s info on my ICB report.

Well it will be interesting to see where this ends up... I would have expected a strong process of validation before stuff gets on a report...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

If this is not your Credit Card then AIB will need to sort this out and correct your record with ICB so it should not affect your mortgage application once you get a letter from AIB. Also if it's been paid promptly every month, this would not affect your credit rating or mortgage application.

AIB will have a bit of explaining to do. It happened to me many years ago where I received a copy of a car lease agreement in my name for someone with same name and different address, I returned it advising it wasn't mine however for the next two months the car repayment was taken out of my current account. It was a financial institution where I banked and they automatically used my bank details for the direct debit even though I never had car finance with them. If it was today there would be implications due to GDPR etc.

I don't think you need to worry as it won't affect your mortgage application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Also get yourself a copy of your Central Credit Register because it also might be on that.

To be on the CCR the person that took out the credit card would have had to have access to your PPS as the CCR goes by the PPS not only name and possible address like the ICB.

I can't believe that KBC is still using ICB when CCR has better information from both quality and details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement