Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of English policeman - PC Andrew Harper

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

AllForIt wrote: »
    I was reading this 'brainstorm' article this morning and can't help but pair it with this sickening crime.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0404/952162-heres-what-criminologists-make-of-the-young-offenders/

You see, knackers behave like knackers because of prejudice and inequality. It is not the knackers that are at fault- it is YOU with your stable job and your privileged leisure activities that go with it.

So, next time you get ready to go on of your privileged bike rides and find your bike missing, know that it's just some lovable but disillusioned disadvantaged youth that stole it, not out of malice, but out of frustration how the system has failed them of which you are a part and bare some responsibility. Arguing against this is violence.

Dont you dare come on to boards and talk such sense again.
    I'm sick of people telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The BMW driver really could have blocked the car better, I understand in the heat of the moment but many a time a chase could be prevented by completely blocking the car in... The UK cops are no longer afraid of damaging the cars and use them as a tool to prevent such instances.....

Shocking shocking story and I hope his family and friends can move on obviously easier said then done....

Unimaginable what that scene must have been like and as I said I really feel for all involved except of course the 3 absolutely scum....

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Yeah, I thought the surnames were a bit unusual for our lot.

That explains it.

So these must be a bit like the Dingles in Emmerdale then?

The London fringe areas around the M25 have a rake of them as well, both in sites but most are in social housing, in places like Feltham, Bedfont, Hayes, West Drayton, St Mary Cray, New Addington, places that are geographically part of London but have no metropolitan or cosmopolitan vibe you'd associate with London. Mostly full of inter-war 1930's semi's that go on for miles and dire pubs.

If you went to these places and encountered them you'd think you were dealing with 'Cockneys' but they're actually nothing to do with inner city working class Londoners or Essex relocated East Enders, they're usually very, very thick as well.

Why are those not willing to contribute the most protected in society???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I see that the murder in Clonsilla was a machete bearing Irish ethnic person.

Never ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

washman3 wrote: »
    The really worrying thing is that you and others like you actually believe this nonsense....:mad:

Time to cop on and get real.

The reality is a great many who want much greater funding for a broad spectrum of these "Social Services",are also products of the same systems 3rd Level institutions.

These places have for decades now,produced a genre of graduate almost totally desensitized to the reality of Life as a Contributor.

Instead,those who prefer to avoid contributing to any given part of society,are lauded as progressive and striking blows against discrimination etc ?

Earned recognition ?......not on yer nelly mate ! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I heard this mans widow speak on radio and was heartbroken listening to her, imagine having your husband of one year dragged to his death in this horrific way.

I didn't know at that time who was responsible for his death but my immediate thought was they should have been jailed for life.

If the facts here are true and they are a part of the travelling community my opinion still remains the same, these scumbags need to be jailed for life, no chance of rehab, full stop. They smiled during the trial, they are scum, dirt, evil, whatever you want to call them, they will never be contributing members of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Be right back

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I heard this mans widow speak on radio and was heartbroken listening to her, imagine having your husband of one year dragged to his death in this horrific way.

I didn't know at that time who was responsible for his death but my immediate thought was they should have been jailed for life.

If the facts here are true and they are a part of the travelling community my opinion still remains the same, these scumbags need to be jailed for life, no chance of rehab, full stop. They smiled during the trial, they are scum, dirt, evil, whatever you want to call them, they will never be contributing members of our society.

They were only married 4 weeks before he was killed and didn't even have their honeymoon.

I've signed and donated.....

More should do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt the verdict can be overturned, but maybe the CPS can appeal if the sentence is in any way lenient. I don't know.

Has anyone ever heard of a jury verdict being overturned or changed?

I have to be careful here, as I am on a dubious YELLOW card for what I don't know, but anyway.

I doubt the verdict can be overturned, but maybe the CPS can appeal if the sentence is in any way lenient. I don't know.

Has anyone ever heard of a jury verdict being overturned or changed?

I have to be careful here, as I am on a dubious YELLOW card for what I don't know, but anyway.

The laws are a mess in the UK and Ireland.... Outdated by a 100 or more years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    You can only hope he had been knocked unconscious immediately and never recovered it at any stage . It was awful to read the report into his death.Horrific for his poor wife and loved ones to know how he died. .

There's been a few similar

One I thought about a lot

I'd be conscious of watching kids move aware from the car before driving off

They will be sentenced today.

Two got 13 years and one got 16 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/31/pc-andrew-harper-killers-sentenced-old-bailey

Henry Long, the 19-year-old ringleader, was sentenced to 16 years in prison, while Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers, both 18, were each sentenced to 13 years in a young offender’s institute after being found guilty of manslaughter. Each was told they would be eligible for release after two-thirds of their sentence at a hearing at the Old Bailey in London.

Hold on they're all men but yet two are sent to a young offenders, am I reading that right.....

What is it with the British legal system and how it's basically as bad or if not worse here in Ireland.

Hold on they're all men but yet two are sent to a young offenders, am I reading that right.....

What is it with the British legal system and how it's basically as bad or if not worse here in Ireland.

I don't understand why they are sent to a young offenders. Is it because they were 17 when they did this crime? Makes no sense either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Makes no sense either way.

Indeed.

"In England and Wales the age of criminal responsibility is set at 10. Young offenders aged 10 to 17 (i.e. up to their 18th birthday) are classed as a juvenile offender. Between the ages of 18 and 21 (i.e. up to their 21st birthday) they are classed as young offenders. Offenders aged 21 and over are known as adult offenders." (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_offender#:~:text=In%20England%20and%20Wales%20the,are%20classed%20as%20young%20offenders.)

Presumably, two of these ankles* will be transferred to an actual prison when and if they reach 21. Why that grinning jackass, Long, bypassed an Oberstown-esque holiday camp is beyond me.

(* Three steps down from a cůnt.)

All that said, 16/13 years for manslaughter is a result compared with our Mickey Mouse sentencing. The latest figures I can find (2018) show 47% between two and five years, 47% between five and ten years, and 4% over 10 years. (The nonsensical automatic remission excluded in both jurisdictions.)

Wife of PC Harper is to see the Home Sec Priti Patel in an attempt to see if anything can be done to change the conviction of manslaughter to murder.

Meanwhile 2 of the boys convicted are appealing their conviction.

https://news.sky.com/story/two-of-pc-harpers-killers-launch-appeals-against-their-convictions-12052448

Why do I get the feeling this isn't going to go the way it should go.

• Advertisement

Filth... They don't deserve the protection...laws an a#s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Their holes will be well opened by the time they are released

Edgware wrote: »

They're getting into all that did you not see they're flying the rainbow and pride

Edgware wrote: »

How do you know they aren't the one's doing the opening? I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't into a bitta unsolicited riding for the sake of it given they are complete scum.

I cudda reported your comment, but I thought I'd respond to your completely insensitive comment myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I've signed and donated.....

More should do the same.
    just signed myself . will have to go back later and donate a few bob . would be great if a lot more signed it from this side of the pond .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭FionnK86

AG appeal to extend and defendant appeal to reduce sentences both denied.

13 year original sentence kept.

Advertisement