Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't they enforce no parking on William Street?

• 24-07-2020 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

What is it with this street. Its pretty much 1 Lane 90% of the time as people always park on the right. Why can't the guards or traffic wardens actually stop it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

The street does not need 2 car lanes. The right lane needs to be converted to a cycle lane similiar to Condell Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Agree that a cycle lane would be good here but the one on Shannon Bridge is a disaster to get into and out of. Seen 3 close bike crashes this week where the bike exiting the lane at the Salesians end of the bridge crossed in front of a bike coming into the cycle path. There is no thought put into the exit and entries to marjority of cycle lanes.

Real question is why parking isn't enforced anywhere in the city. Its often an obstacle course weaving through Patrick Street, outside BTs (cars double parked outside the loading zone (no one actually uses these as loading from I see, its all park and go), double parked on either side of O'Connell Street by O'Mahoneys bookshop. Basically double park anywhere but be over your disk time up a side street, in Pery Square, Catherine Street, Upper Henry street, Barrington street and you will get ticketed.

I will always go to city instead of the retail parks if possible, I always get street parking but it really bugs me when others get away with throwing on the hazards with no penalty. Street parking is cheap in Limerick - I never understand the negative comments about it. 2 hours = 2euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Agree that a cycle lane would be good here but the one on Shannon Bridge is a disaster to get into and out of. Seen 3 close bike crashes this week where the bike exiting the lane at the Salesians end of the bridge crossed in front of a bike coming into the cycle path. There is no thought put into the exit and entries to marjority of cycle lanes.

Real question is why parking isn't enforced anywhere in the city. Its often an obstacle course weaving through Patrick Street, outside BTs (cars double parked outside the loading zone (no one actually uses these as loading from I see, its all park and go), double parked on either side of O'Connell Street by O'Mahoneys bookshop. Basically double park anywhere but be over your disk time up a side street, in Pery Square, Catherine Street, Upper Henry street, Barrington street and you will get ticketed.

I will always go to city instead of the retail parks if possible, I always get street parking but it really bugs me when others get away with throwing on the hazards with no penalty. Street parking is cheap in Limerick - I never understand the negative comments about it. 2 hours = 2euro
    Traffic wardens patrol the streets only between 10 a.m - 4p.m Monday to Friday, as far as I'm aware, so outside of those times certain motorists will feel free to misbehave. The Gardai need to play a greater role here. I never see cops actively engaged in moving illegally parked vehicles around the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Don't think I've seen the gardai down town in years tbh. Its a very rare occurence for sure. Ur probably correct about the times of traffic wardens - pity they just ignore the main streets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Re: The Guards, aside from probably being fairly busy in general, and speaking from my own 9 year experience of being one, you could stand there all day and issue tickets, but within 2 minutes of leaving people will be back at it again. You could continue to do this every day for a year, but as soon as there's no guards, it's the same again. Can't afford to leave a Garda there full time policing it, because then there'll be cries of why x place isn't monitored the same.

I personally think they should have a camera pointed at these areas and issue tickets remotely. Only that will work, the fear of not knowing if you will get a ticket without being spoken to. But the law needs to be changed for that. William St I've noticed has become particularly worse lately. Or you then have the complete dicks who decide to double park on the left side because there's a gap on the right where no one is double parked, creating a slalom for drivers to maneuver. People will be people, it will never change unfortunately. And I don't think a bike lane will make any difference, unless they put a great big kerb to prevent people parking in it, and even then the posh twats with their 4x4's and others with their vans will still park there anyway. You can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

William Street Parking.
    It's the gift that keeps on giving.....:)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111955627

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Re: The Guards, aside from probably being fairly busy in general, and speaking from my own 9 year experience of being one, you could stand there all day and issue tickets, but within 2 minutes of leaving people will be back at it again. You could continue to do this every day for a year, but as soon as there's no guards, it's the same again. Can't afford to leave a Garda there full time policing it, because then there'll be cries of why x place isn't monitored the same.

I disagree, penalise them often enough and word will get out that illegal is costly and not acceptable.

People (drivers, cyclists and pedestrians) break the law here because they know they get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

chicorytip wrote: »
    Traffic wardens patrol the streets only between 10 a.m - 4p.m Monday to Friday, as far as I'm aware, so outside of those times certain motorists will feel free to misbehave. The Gardai need to play a greater role here. I never see cops actively engaged in moving illegally parked vehicles around the city centre.

10 years ago maybe. 6 days a week now, and 8am until 6pm usually.......and they're training new recruits at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I personally think they should have a camera pointed at these areas and issue tickets remotely. Only that will work, the fear of not knowing if you will get a ticket without being spoken to. But the law needs to be changed for that. William St I've noticed has become particularly worse lately. Or you then have the complete dicks who decide to double park on the left side because there's a gap on the right where no one is double parked, creating a slalom for drivers to maneuver. People will be people, it will never change unfortunately. And I don't think a bike lane will make any difference, unless they put a great big kerb to prevent people parking in it, and even then the posh twats with their 4x4's and others with their vans will still park there anyway. You can't win.

Can I ask you a quick question please? Do/would you issue tickets to private vehicles parked on loading bays? Many delivery vehicles end up double parking because of loading bays being blocked by private cars or sometimes vans that just park in the loading bays for hours on end. Now there are plenty of obnoxious delivery drivers too. I'm not excusing those.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Here's a solution ......

Pedestrianize it ;)

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I disagree, penalise them often enough and word will get out that illegal is costly and not acceptable.

People (drivers, cyclists and pedestrians) break the law here because they know they get away with it

Trust me, it won't work. Too many people do it so only a fraction would get tickets and it would only deter those people. The common problem are the people themselves, they don't care about anyone but themselves.
    h3000 wrote: »
    Can I ask you a quick question please? Do/would you issue tickets to private vehicles parked on loading bays? Many delivery vehicles end up double parking because of loading bays being blocked by private cars or sometimes vans that just park in the loading bays for hours on end. Now there are plenty of obnoxious delivery drivers too. I'm not excusing those.

100% yes, I used to. It's up there with disabled bays are easily identifiable, so no excuse for it. It should happen, but the problem in a lot of towns and cities is the lack of manpower, there just isn't enough to man the cars required for calls and have ones on the beat. I obviously can't speak for every that is/was a Garda, but I made a point of it, kept the Chief happy too as tickets were being issued. But again, people will do it the second there's no Garda around. I did the same for people parked in disabled bays and those stopping in junction boxes, as they were pet peeves of mine. But happily gave all that up years ago, got sick of dealing with idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I'm a former member based in Limerick. Parking on William St and the taxi rank on Robert St overflowing around the block used to be pet peeves of mine. If I was on the beat and it was quiet, during the day I would hit William St and at night I would hit Robert St.

I was wasting my time though, if I got a call and came back around a while later it would be exactly as if I hadn't been there at all.

There is a culture in the city of "sure throw it there and put on the hazards, sure if someone comes along they'll only tell you to move anyway, be grand."

It is this culture that has to change, because it would be next to impossible to properly police unless you had the manpower to permanently put someone there all day every day. Which AGS doesn't, and even if it did as PM pointed out other areas would be crying out for similar attention.

AGS, at least in my time, simply didn't have the resources to put into such a policing operation. That coupled with the fact that there was an organisation in the city who's sole responsibility was parking enforcement meant that we seldom enforced parking regulations, unless someone was blatantly taking the piss, leaving it to the traffic wardens to deal with instead.

There are some things that could be done, as PM noted though, they would likely require a change in legislation to allow AGS ticket for this type of offence using cameras rather than in person. I'm sure you can all imagine the type of reaction that would draw from certain quarters.

Realistically the only option we have to fix this is to change the attitude of the people of Limerick towards double parking, making it socially unacceptable to do. There are always the few that will ruin it for the majority though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

source wrote: »
    I'm a former member based in Limerick. Parking on William St and the taxi rank on Robert St overflowing around the block used to be pet peeves of mine. If I was on the beat and it was quiet, during the day I would hit William St and at night I would hit Robert St.

I was wasting my time though, if I got a call and came back around a while later it would be exactly as if I hadn't been there at all.

There is a culture in the city of "sure throw it there and put on the hazards, sure if someone comes along they'll only tell you to move anyway, be grand."

It is this culture that has to change, because it would be next to impossible to properly police unless you had the manpower to permanently put someone there all day every day. Which AGS doesn't, and even if it did as PM pointed out other areas would be crying out for similar attention.

AGS, at least in my time, simply didn't have the resources to put into such a policing operation. That coupled with the fact that there was an organisation in the city who's sole responsibility was parking enforcement meant that we seldom enforced parking regulations, unless someone was blatantly taking the piss, leaving it to the traffic wardens to deal with instead.

There are some things that could be done, as PM noted though, they would likely require a change in legislation to allow AGS ticket for this type of offence using cameras rather than in person. I'm sure you can all imagine the type of reaction that would draw from certain quarters.

Realistically the only option we have to fix this is to change the attitude of the people of Limerick towards double parking, making it socially unacceptable to do. There are always the few that will ruin it for the majority though.

I’m sorry but culture will not change without enforcement/consequence.
    Look how easy the smoking ban enforced itself- Because it became socially unacceptable.
    Look at how effective the plastic bag levy was when enforced - it hit people a small bit in the pocket.

There needs to be consequence and it needs to be socially unacceptable, currently there is neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Wednesday lunchtime I saw six cars and three trucks with hazards on, parked on double yellows between Guineys and Daly’s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Seems to be scumbag street!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Gardai do it themselves as I regularly see them parked outside Enzo's chipper on William Street picking up their takeaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Gardai do it themselves as I regularly see them parked outside Enzo's chipper on William Street picking up their takeaway.

Same with the fire service

• Registered Users Posts: 1 firemansam1987

Mc Love wrote: »
    Same with the fire service

They use the Fire Hydrant on the ground outside it.

2 points to make on this.

1. In my time Enzos had the contract for prisoner meals for Henry St, so that was likely the reason for AGS stopping there.

2. AGS as well as the fire service and ambulance service are exempt from all road traffic legislation while on duty. The only exceptions to this exemption are the offences of dangerous driving and driving while intoxicated.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I’m sorry but culture will not change without enforcement/consequence.
    Look how easy the smoking ban enforced itself- Because it became socially unacceptable.
    Look at how effective the plastic bag levy was when enforced - it hit people a small bit in the pocket.

There needs to be consequence and it needs to be socially unacceptable, currently there is neither.

Then find either the political will to change the legislation to allow remote ticketing for parking offences, or increase the numbers of Gardaí, or traffic wardens or both.

As I said previously, we were under resourced to police parking and there existed an organisation whose sole responsibility was parking enforcement. I personally tried to do something about it but it was like trying to plug a firehose with my finger.

It's not possible to police it without increased resources, and deal with everything else in the city too. A single weekend policing operation won't fix it as people will adhere to the rules for that weekend and go straight back to what the old was the very next day.

Edit: if the public made it known that they won't tolerate it you will see change. The idea that it always had to be someone else to fix an issue is ridiculous. If people called out the people who are double parking then you'll see a change.

The smoking ban was self policing, the act itself was pretty toothless when it comes to consequences for individuals. Everyone agreed that from a certain date smoking indoors would no longer be tolerated, and there was pressure from everyone in pubs to comply. That is the reason it was so successful, the public bought into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

snowcat wrote: »
    The street does not need 2 car lanes. The right lane needs to be converted to a cycle lane similiar to Condell Bridge.

It would only end up as a parking lane like by the station. As others have said nothing will work without real enforcement. I cycle up that street often and on the times it is free there's loads of room for cars to overtake me and it's a fine safe street until the parked cars make it a single lane

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As someone mentioned above, it should be policed with static cameras. I suppose if you wanted to be generous, it could be a monitored camera. Operator in office clicks on car obstructing traffic, and a fixed penalty goes out. You'd have to have an advertising campaign in advance of it, but it's a joke right now. Should be active along William Street, up to the bottom of Mulgrave street, and Patrick street to the junction of Mallow Street.

I don't care if you're buying chips or a lamp, magic parking lights on or not. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

turn everyone into a parking warden.
    If you see a car illegally parked, take a pic on phone, send to parking enforcement.
    First person to report it gets 5 euro of the fine back to their account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bring in a system like the double red line in London. And then penalize it with immediate penalty points and none of this "move it on nonsense"

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Bring in a system like the double red line in London. And then penalize it with immediate penalty points and none of this "move it on nonsense"

Still will have the problem of enforcement. I do like Phills idea above, but bring on the snitches get stitches brigade. In fairness, monitoring William Street would be a full time job for 1 person, so to do it for so many streets where it happens, in every city or large town in Ireland would require hundreds of employees, paid by the state, which apparently is broke. People give out if there's a slight increase to Garda budgets, or GoSafe payments, this would rightly tick off some people.

It's an age old adage. "I want something done, but I don't want to pay for it, and it shouldn't apply to me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

phill106 wrote: »
    turn everyone into a parking warden.
    If you see a car illegally parked, take a pic on phone, send to parking enforcement.
    First person to report it gets 5 euro of the fine back to their account.

This would actually be a fantastic idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

This would actually be a fantastic idea
    Thanks
    i should have added 1 euro of each fine to go to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

They did it in New York for trucks who leave their engine running and they have seen a massive jump in fines issued. Plus some folks making a bit of extra cash - win win!
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/27719/one-new-yorker-made-nearly-5000-last-year-snitching-on-idling-trucks-and-buses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

hobie14 wrote: »
    Here's a solution ......

Pedestrianize it ;)

"Cyanide? Have you tried giving the sick patient cyanide? Nothing to lose!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement