Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for driver with learner permit

Options
  • 24-07-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My insurance company won’t insure my Son as my car is 2003. What are my options? Will I have to cancel the policy and take it out with another insurance company ? Will I have to get a newer car ? Could my Son buy a car and have his own insurance policy ?

I see loads of young drivers with L and N plates and I just wonder how they get their insurance?

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Rudyroo wrote: »
    I see loads of young drivers with L and N plates and I just wonder how they get their insurance?

Any help greatly appreciated

Hopefully I can give you a hand, I hit the roads on a provisional 2 years back and ran into the same issue. I attempted to go under either my Mam or Dads policy, neither where possible and I’d an 09’ car. The bigger insurances companies where more upfront with me then in your case, said I didn’t meet their insurance criteria rather that blaming the car.

I eventually went with Boxymo on my own policy, they are the go to for most on provisional. Now that’s the good news, bad news was a 3.5k policy, which only went to 2.5k in my second year before passing my test. I reckon that’s the only route open to you, AA have a policy aimed at young drivers but stay clear as the going rate is over 5k ever time I ask.

I’m in Dublin so that plays into the policy, but even when you do get a policy offer prepare your pockets. Best of luck to your son hitting the road anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rudyroo

Thanks for heads upðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vilanero

The way around sky high premiums is to either combine his insurance with farm insurance, or insure him on a company car.
    If neither of those two are options, Aviva Driving School is the only other relatively cheap way as far as I know.

Thanks. I’ll look into it, or he will more appropriately!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

My eldest got insurance in his own name for a 1l 2012 on a permit for 1500€ from 123.ie
    Complete with the monitoring box
    Worth giving their website a look
    He was 20 by the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Boxymo quoted my 17 year old daughter 1400 euro on a corsa with me included.

Thanks for replies

Advertisement