Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Condensate pipe from combi boiler not flowing into drain

• 25-07-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

hi,
    i got a boiler installed a few years ago, and when i got serviced recently the guy said the condensate pipe should be flowing into a drain, whereas it's just dripping onto the path, there's about 3 inch width of muck/earth between the house and path (see photo, middle pipe). I don't know why none of the other guys who serviced the boiler didn't mention it, maybe they didn't look outside ?

is this really a big issue in the future? i contacted the original installer and he said in ireland the regulation is that a soak away can just be pebbles/earth. is that correct ?!
    he offered to put in a neutraliser, but is that expensive ? i don't want to have to pay much more for this.

thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Yes you can have a soak-away, but not so close to the foundations, and its it supposed to be limestone chippings to act as a neutraliser.
    As you can see in the area you have your earthing rod, and condensate could erode this in the ground nearby.

Is there a drain pipe nearby (or even a waste pipe nearby internally)
    Make sure any exterior condensate pipes are insulated for frost protection too.

"The soakaway should be located as close as possible to the boiler but clear of the building foundations (at least 1m and more if possible) and not in the vicinity of other services such as gas, electricity or water connections. The external pipe work must be kept to a minimum and not more than 3m in length"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

DGOBS wrote: »
    Yes you can have a soak-away, but not so close to the foundations, and its it supposed to be limestone chippings to act as a neutraliser.
    As you can see in the area you have your earthing rod, and condensate could erode this in the ground nearby.

Is there a drain pipe nearby (or even a waste pipe nearby internally)
    Make sure any exterior condensate pipes are insulated for frost protection too.
    The point about that earth rod is very well observed. You really should have an electrician look at it. I've seen what acidic condensate can do to copper.
    That rod will be copper coated.
    Perhaps some electrician could comment on this here.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Thanks for the replies. The gas supply into house is just to the left of the photo, so a soak away doesn't sound the best option. If it has to be 1 metre from building then presumably the pipe has to run underground for that last metre
    The boiler is in front bedroom & nearest drain is at back of house, across a flat roof extension, so probably 12 metres. I know that breaks the 3m rule, but it seems the most viable option.
    Is it a big issue if the condensate pipe drained into the start of the open gutter for the flat roof which would then travel along the extension & then down into the drain ?

Advertisement