Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Face coat

Options
  • 25-07-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I bought a coat last may though a shop for north face , only wore it recently and wore it twice since then but the coat is not waterproof and you sweat it in it,

What are my rights at this time please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

A year old coat?
    Doubt you have any rights to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically none worth the effort.

You sweat in nearly all of those heavy jackets - its July, not December. Was it actually sold as waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

XsApollo wrote: »
    A year old coat?
    Doubt you have any rights to be honest.

Were are u getting a year 3 months ago yes was suppose to be water proof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Was it sole as waterproof or breathable? Just because it's North Face doesn't automatically make it either.

Is it genuine? There's a lot of knockoff North Face stuff out there in shops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

torrevieja wrote: »
    You said last May, that makes us think it was last year. If you said you bought it in May, then that is different.

• Advertisement

You said last May, that makes us think it was last year. If you said you bought it in May, then that is different.

Seriously I think your in lockdown too long

BeardySi wrote: »
    Was it sole as waterproof or breathable? Just because it's North Face doesn't automatically make it either.

Is it genuine? There's a lot of knockoff North Face stuff out there in shops...

I bought it from 53 degrees north

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Check the labels. Unless it says the precise word "waterproof" you will have no comeback.

And there are limits to waterproof levels too. Check the model online and see what is said.

Seriously I think your in lockdown too long

I would also interpret "last May" to mean May 2019. May 2020 is still just May.... anyway, its still pushing it to bring it back unless it is very specifically marketed as waterproof.

L1011 wrote: »
    I would also interpret "last May" to mean May 2019. May 2020 is still just May.... anyway, its still pushing it to bring it back unless it is very specifically marketed as waterproof.

Well u learn something every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Post the coat name and we could say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

I had a similar issue roughly same time frame I got my money back all sorted

I would have to disagree on that ""something that is 3 months old should not be considered as last "" 🀭

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Ah ok last may I presumed last year my bad.

As soon as I saw the price I knew it wouldn't be water proof.
    States its water repellant. Even says you won't get TOO hot and sweaty.

So 53DN don't say its waterproof on their website; but North Face do.

You can attempt to go back and ask for a refund/different replacement product but 53DN may point to them saying water repellant, not water proof and its not dear enough to make small claims worth the time even if success was guaranteed.

So 53DN don't say its waterproof on their website; but North Face do.

Strange they have a different description. Even Google gives the description as water proof.

Is it letting in water or are you sweating a lot in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unhappys10 wrote: »
    As soon as I saw the price I knew it wouldn't be water proof.
    States its water repellant. Even says you won't get TOO hot and sweaty.

Water repellent refers to the coating. The dry vent is meant to be waterproof as well, but it ain’t great Stuff at all. I’ve had one or two of them. In comparison even a two layer goretex with a dwr finish would be far, far better product, but It’d be twice the price. Goretex is also way more breathable.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Strange they have a different description. Even Google gives the description as water proof.

Is it letting in water or are you sweating a lot in it?
    Thanks folks well if I go for a walk in wet from rain and if it's dry I'm sweating surely the sweating would not happen

It was originally 110 , I'm getting different conflicts too one says it is the other no

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Thanks folks well if I go for a walk in wet from rain and if it's dry I'm sweating surely the sweating would not happen

It was originally 110 , I'm getting different conflicts too one says it is the other no

Cheap waterproof material isn’t breathable. Having said that, I’ve a apex flex three layer Goretex and you’ll still need to open the side vents to stop sweating. You could spend 600 euro on an arcteryx and still have the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

No it doesn't

Last May is the most recent May.

If I said last January, I'd mean Jan 2020 not Jan 2019.

micar wrote: »
    No it doesn't

As we've already seen on the thread there is quite a split in what people interpret it as. And its not relevant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cheap waterproof material isn’t breathable.

+1 A cheap raincoat you buy in Penney’s will probably be waterproof but you’ll almost certainly sweat in it. I think a lot of people are confusing ‘waterproof’ (keeps you dry in a shower) with the feature the OP feels is missing which is ‘water permeable’ i.e. allows water vapour to pass out through the fabric.

Funny enough, I thought I had the same problem as the OP a while back. I bought a different model coat in the NF outlet shop in Kildare Village and for several weeks, I thought it was fake merchandise because I was in a sweat every time I wore it. This was a ‘reduced’ price coat which cost about €85 so I was none too pleased but it seems ok to wear now, maybe my body needed time to make the adjustment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

micar wrote: »
    No it doesn't

It's not right or wrong though. It's just the way you interpret it. Today is Saturday, if I said l did something last Thursday ...I would mean Thursday of last week. Not the day before yesterday . Likewise last June is technically 4 weeks ago but to me it would mean 13 months ago. it's just an irish thing I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Its a garment for the uncouth, you're better off rid of it. Buy yourself a nice debonair mackintosh instead.

coylemj wrote: »
    Funny enough, I thought I had the same problem as the OP a while back. I bought a different model coat in the NF outlet shop in Kildare Village and for several weeks, I thought it was fake merchandise because I was in a sweat every time I wore it.

Can't really see a company owned store selling "fake" merchandise. Btw same company owns Timberland, Vans and others https://www.vfc.com/brands

There is a trend of 'outlet grade' product, because there's far more outlet stores now than their original purpose (shifting overstock) could support. See also the Sports Direct-grade for their non-owned brands (Calvin Klein and Adidas are particularly poor compared to their own stores). But 53DN would be a main-stream retailer so even if there is outlet-grade North Face they are unlikely to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Most of the named brands don't properly specify the levels of waterproofing or breathability.

For waterproofing 2000 is ok 5000 pretty good 7000 bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Discodog wrote: »
    Most of the named brands don't properly specify the levels of waterproofing or breathability.

For waterproofing 2000 is ok 5000 pretty good 7000 bombproof.
    I disagree, bought Berghaus and mountain warehouse last year and another from great outdoors all specified exactly what level of waterproofing, breathability etc, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased

• Advertisement

There is a trend of 'outlet grade' product, because there's far more outlet stores now than their original purpose (shifting overstock) could support. See also the Sports Direct-grade for their non-owned brands (Calvin Klein and Adidas are particularly poor compared to their own stores). But 53DN would be a main-stream retailer so even if there is outlet-grade North Face they are unlikely to sell it.

In the USA many items are "made for outlet" and you will always see "compare to" prices. Products may be made from lower quality fabric, less packaging and limited range.

In Europe that is not permitted unless you state clearly that it is "made for outlet". Any items in an outlet store must be of comparable quality to a regular store.

But it was never about unsold stock except possibly in the early days. It's "previous season designs" that the outlet model works on. So the designing cost and fancy packaging and marketing costs are stripped out along with some margin.

So in terms of the post here, it wouldn't matter whether it was bought in an outlet store or regular stockist, the quality of the physical product will be identical and the same consumer rights apply.

Advertisement