Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost/venue to replace home button on iPhone SE 2020

Options
  • 25-07-2020 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Phone is 1.5 weeks old, purchased from Harvey Norman.

Felt my phone burning my leg in my pocket this morning and after checking it appears that my house key(s) coming into contact with the home button has cracked the home button, which I'm extremely surprised by. The button area is getting super hot periodically and doesn't work.

I'm a bit annoyed that this could happen with something no more trivial than my keys in my pocket. Thats hardly much durability.

Can anyone advise on where I can get it fixed and the cost? I could potentially sign up to applecare and get it fixed through that I guess, but I'm presuming that wouldn't be cheap either. I think its €99 if you have applecare already.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Mr.S wrote: »
    Out of warranty repair will be €307.30 via Apple.

Home button (now a sensor) are a pain to replace outside of Apple because TouchID won't work, so you end up replacing it but left with a button only.

You could buy AppleCare+ for the phone, but they'll run a diagnostic scan to make sure your phone isn't broken, and this will likely cause it to fail. (To stop people just buying it after they break their phones!)

Do you have accidental home contents insurance?

Many thanks for the prompt response, though the news is rather disappointing of course! I presume the systems diagnostics check is run before you pay? At least I could check if it failed so.

I presume getting someone to replace it in an unregistered shop just voids the warranty but may be much cheaper?

Finally - in terms of the house insurance, I could do that, though I presume there is an excess on home contents or it would result in higher premiums ultimately?

Thanks

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Sher it's obviously covered by a warranty?

The warranty would cover software and hardware manufacturing issues. Doesn't cover accidental damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

The warranty would cover software and hardware manufacturing issues. Doesn't cover accidental damage.

Apologies: I briefly skimmed his OP and missed the part where he said he cracked it himself.

OP, I would still bring it back and tell them what happened. I've had at least 8 iPhones and never have they been damaged by a key in my pocket. How could that even happen? Did you fall over?

Apologies: I briefly skimmed his OP and missed the part where he said he cracked it himself.

OP, I would still bring it back and tell them what happened. I've had at least 8 iPhones and never have they been damaged by a key in my pocket. How could that even happen? Did you fall over?

Had phone in my pocket this morning with my keys, phone worked fine when it was in my pocket and when used waiting for a doctors appointment. When I got home the home button was cracked. Didn't fall, nor did I drop it, so I'm as perplexed as anyone. I presume if I bring it back to the store they'll they say I dropped it so thats a non runner.

I don't care about having touchID and the warranty really, since it doesn't cover accidental damage. Would a back street dealer be able to replace and get the home button working? I'm happy to keep phone until it dies so not worried about resale value.

There are plenty of reputable stores that could fix it for you, but it may be pricey as it's so new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I got very using to using the assisted touch home button when I had the same problem ... works fine

If it's heating up then I'd get it repaired tbh, you're only frying the phone + it could be a fire hazard down the line.

If it's heating up then I'd get it repaired tbh, you're only frying the phone + it could be a fire hazard down the line.

Yes, thats what I'm thinking. Button is red hot and draining the battery at the minute already.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

There are plenty of reputable stores that could fix it for you, but it may be pricey as it's so new.

wouldn't bother, if the the actaul button is damaged that cant be fixed. if it the ribbon it would b a differant story. they could replaced it with a bluetooth version of the button but then i think there crap tbh. there is another one where its connected to the chaging port and seems to be better but havent used them to comment.

op you might be better of taking it back to apple, or at least a repair shop that actually knows what there doing, look for someone that is skilled in 3rd level board repair, if its heating up because of it means something is drawing alot of power.

wouldn't bother, if the the actaul button is damaged that cant be fixed. if it the ribbon it would b a differant story. they could replaced it with a bluetooth version of the button but then i think there crap tbh. there is another one where its connected to the chaging port and seems to be better but havent used them to comment.

op you might be better of taking it back to apple, or at least a repair shop that actually knows what there doing, look for someone that is skilled in 3rd level board repair, if its heating up because of it means something is drawing alot of power.

This. Try Fonez, they'll sort you out. They have stores in Galway, Cork, Dublin + Letterkenny.

• Advertisement

This. Try Fonez, they'll sort you out. They have stores in Galway, Cork, Dublin + Letterkenny.

Actually rang fonez as it happens and they said the home button is something they can't fix on this version. Compu-b are the partner unfortunately, I've never been impressed in any dealings I've had with then.

I'll be claiming through applecare to fix it.

Definitely wouldn't let them touch it.

I'll be claiming through applecare to fix it.

Probably better off to be fair. Might be a bit more expensive but I think they just replace the device anyways so make sure it's backed up.

Advertisement