Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents with underlying conditions and schools

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That’s good procedures. I’m so worried the announcement on Monday will be all students back simultaneously

They have since sent details for going back for the whole school from September. Mostly the same as what they were doing for the last month with a small number back. Still have separate arrival and pick up times for each year, different lunch times, different break times. They are increasing the "bubbles" to being a year group rather than just a single class now, although I doubt they will go too overboard with the interclass mingling.

One of the criteria that lead us to select this school was it was the only one with a big outdoors space and sports field. Delighted with that choice now as the other schools which are a little bit closer have zero or negligible space outside... And one of them discovered asbestos during attempting renovation during lockdown too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How many parents know how to home school?

Perhaps teachers who are immunocompromised or on quarantine (and any sniffle will ensure quarantine) could help with a national support service using video links. Not perfect, but the best of a bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MM really wants schools to reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

heldel00 wrote: »
    ISUP i know it's similar to putting a plaster on a broken leg, in terms of protection, but there is a 24 hour hand sanitiser called ZOONO that i will be buying for when schools start back

I would be very, very wary of claims that ANY product can offer 24 hour protection from a single application or persist to work after any washing. I've never heard of 'Zoono' until your post and went on a trek to find some kind of verifiable evidence from these "independent lab tests". I found a single, internal PDF from Zoono stating that it has worked against a surrogate virus with no reference to any time, ie. 'works for 24 hours / 12 hours / 1 hour".

I've had a cursory browse of FDA approvals/recalls/tests/verifications* for products which are similar and found https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-continues-ensure-availability-alcohol-based-hand-sanitizer-during
    The FDA is not aware of any evidence that hand sanitizer products can protect consumers for 24 hours or after multiple hand-washings. These types of claims may put consumers at risk by leading to a false sense of security and resulting in infrequent hand washing or hand sanitizing.

I am wide open to any correction on this topic but as far as I can see these products are potentially a sham and arguably dangerous with these claims. You will put yourself and your family in danger if you rely on unsubstantiated claims by manufacturers.

Finally, if anyone has any actual papers/journal articles (scientific) related to these '24 hour' products, I would love if you could either reply or ideally PM them to me.

*The FDA doesn't approve hand sanitizers, I know. However they are charged with establishing the veracity of claims made by product manufacturers in health field and have been very active in doing so for products like this since early in this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ms2011 wrote: »
    other immunosuppressed parents (and teachers) aren't as fortunate and I definitely think their voices should be heard.

as should the voices of the majority - Ther is no perfect solution , but closing schools indefiitly will have a catasrophic effect on so many children and teens - school is much more than passing exams - gives pupils social skills , physical excercise and a little fun - thats whats been missed - I do think that all parents will have a huge responsibilty not to send ther children to schools or creches if sick, like they may have in the past .
    And one good thing about the virus, it does not effect children too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

But if each year is staggered start and finish times how will breakfast and after school work with them? I work full time in a childcare setting and my son attends before and after, how would this work with lots of children? Also my child school has over 220 children in each year and they just dont have the space to half all of those classes for social distancing. I'm also pregnant and my partner has had lung and heart problems since April so would be classed as vulnerable now and has been wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Miike wrote: »
    I would be very, very wary of claims that ANY product can offer 24 hour protection from a single application or persist to work after any washing. I've never heard of 'Zoono' until your post and went on a trek to find some kind of verifiable evidence from these "independent lab tests". I found a single, internal PDF from Zoono stating that it has worked against a surrogate virus with no reference to any time, ie. 'works for 24 hours / 12 hours / 1 hour".
    I am wide open to any correction on this topic but as far as I can see these products are potentially a sham and arguably dangerous with these claims. You will put yourself and your family in danger if you rely on unsubstantiated claims by manufacturers.

Finally, if anyone has any actual papers/journal articles (scientific) related to these '24 hour' products, I would love if you could either reply or ideally PM them to me.

I had mentioned in a few of my previous posts that I will be putting zoono sanitiser on my children as they head out the door to school; but thank you for highlighting this relevant concern and in hindsight I will amend my posts to reflect that; just because a product claims to provide 24 hour protection it doesn’t make it so
    In all honesty I know myself that I would still explain the importance of proper hand washing to my children and I would expect them to still wash their hands as soon as they came home but some people may be lured into a false sense of security that there would be no need as the product claims to work for up to 24hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I had mentioned in a few of my previous posts that I will be putting zoono sanitiser on my children as they head out the door to school; but thank you for highlighting this relevant concern and in hindsight I will amend my posts to reflect that; just because a product claims to provide 24 hour protection it doesn’t make it so
    In all honesty I know myself that I would still explain the importance of continuing their proper hand washing routine while in school to my children and I would expect them to still wash their hands as soon as they came home but some people may be lured into a false sense of security that there would be no need as the product claims to work for up to 24hours

Since I've posted that I've been trawling academic databases and even google (I've stopped now) and I've not found anything even close to verifying their claims. This product would be a total game changer for healthcare providers, even if it conferred 1 hour protection.

Again I am wide open to anyone who has ANY information of otherwise. Please give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ Thanks Mike. I suppose i had planned on using it without telling the children "now that's you done until tomorrow" but i would plan on continuing with the handwashing and extra sanitising.
    I just know that my own classroom will have 33 4th and 5th class children with one sink. Far from ideal.
    Would love to hear more about people's findings/ opinions on Zoono.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

A lot of times in the past my daughter has come home from school telling me there wasn't any soap in the toilets. So I have already bought a tube type bottle of antiseptic hand soap in Lidl. She will bring that into school in September and keep it in her bag, she also has hand sanitizer too. I reckon a lot of kids will be the same bringing their own in and encouraged to use it often throughout the day. Although a plus for us is she can now come home on her lunch break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We all know what happens every September when the kids go back

Sickness arrives in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

We all know what happens every September when the kids go back

Sickness arrives in the house

It would be hard to distance yourself from your own kids too.

Advertisement