Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatted SD recovery

Options
  • 25-07-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hey, I'm in the **** here, my camera reformatted my SD card and I lost all my photos.

Is there anyway I can get them back, is there a company that can do it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you havent tried to use it since theyre all there. Most formats are quick formats (a real format takes 20+ mins) so they just delete the index to where the files are, not the files themselves.

You dont need a data recovery company, keep the card out of everything until you're ready then use Recuva or TestDisk to pull the images. Youll lose the file names.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I've tried Recuva and it only got the last photo I had taken, I think the camera formatted the card a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Recuva has two modes, be sure to use the long version.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

I use the photorec program from the Testdisk suite to recover files. you can choose to recover all filetyoes or specific types(like mp4, jpg etc.)
    https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I've tried four or five different programs, the bring up a deleted picture but none of the ones I want.

It's a Sony a6000 camera and it reformatted the card, I think I'll need a professional if I've any hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Don't know if it will work for you but this recovered deleted files from an external usb drive with dropped and recreated partitions and a full format:

http://www.puransoftware.com/File-Recovery.html

Other well known recovery programs failed but this one worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

Winhex is pretty good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The first thing you should have done is to clone the card and put the original aside without further touching it.

Do the recovery on the clone.

Testdisk is capable of recovering files with filenames, if they have not been overwritten.

Photorec has more finegrained options.

The danger with several attempts at recovery on the original is that you are likely to make the situation worse.

Advertisement