Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long cage needed for 1x9 set up?

Options
  • 25-07-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to replace derailleur on a 1x9 setup where the cassette is 11-36.

The original derailleur was a long cage but I'm wondering if a short or medium will do, given that there's only one chainring at front.

Anyone got experience of this setup?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I bought a Shimano Altus RD-M370-SGS 9-Speed Long Rear Mech Derailleur off eBay for £11 off eBay last year for a 1x10 project. Works fine so far. From what I remember you'd need the long cage for the bigger cassette anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Does the derailleur you have have a clutch mechanism too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sbs2010 wrote: »
    .. but I'm wondering if a short or medium will do, given that there's only one chainring at front....
    The number of chain rings up front wouldn't be relevant. The cage size would be relevant for the difference between the largest and smallest sprocket on the cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

The number of chain rings up front wouldn't be relevant. The cage size would be relevant for the difference between the largest and smallest sprocket on the cassette.

But it would make a difference???

If chain was just long enough to work in the 50x36, to got to the 50x11 the derailleur wouldn't have to take up too much slack. But if it was a double on the front, there would be even more chain slack that would be needed to be dealt with by the derailleur if you moved to the 34x11.

To the OP, I think you can use a short cage but only if the derailleur is designed to clear the 36t sprocket, which I believe is more a function of the mounting bolt and how long it is until where the derailleur body starts (rather than the cage length).

I also think you can help this clearance by using a goat link, but I'd still prefer find a derailleur that is designed for 36t rather than trying to bodge it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I suspect there are two things in play - the swing of the derailleur arm determines chain capacity, and the parallelogram motion of the derailleur, and the angle of that motion determines max cassette size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I got a long cage in the end from Adverts in the end so I can't answer my own question :(

But bike is running smoothly :)

S.

Advertisement