Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blazing Saddles RTE1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well alright if you enjoy a film made by racist old white men for racist old white men go right ahead. I guess you'll recommend song of the south next.

im more a camp town lady man myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im more a camp town lady man myself

Yeah and a homophobic slur thrown into the song for good measure. Tell me have you asked a BAME person or a member of the LGBTQIA+ community what they think of the film and it's 'humour?'

Yeah and a homophobic slur thrown into the song for good measure. Tell me have you asked a BAME person or a member of the LGBTQIA+ community what they think of the film and it's 'humour?'

humor is suppose to be controversial, it tests boundaries, it tests our acceptances, it can cause us to reflex and think about ourselves, and how we treat one another and this planet, its a critical human need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Saw some of it the other night. Much of silly but did get a few belly laughs from it giving the two fingers to the PC brigade. As a dyed in the wool shirt lifter was I offended by it? Not one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well alright if you enjoy a film made by racist old white men for racist old white men go right ahead. I guess you'll recommend song of the south next.

Hard to know if you're being serious. It's an uber-PC movie. In the shadow of the civil rights movement, it reimagined the wild west with a black man as sherrif. At the time it was unimaginable for a black person to be in charge of white people. It had genuine social impact.

Granted, hasn't aged well and it's squarely aimed at a fairly childish audience of people who think fart jokes and the dreaded n word, are funny.

If it were released today:
    1 it would be a teen movie along the lines of White Chicks, fart jokes and swearing jokes like Seth Rogan.
    2 it wouldn't have any relevance to the world. Zero social impact.
    3 the people who dislike PC/woke/Snowflakes, would hate it recognise it as PC gone mad.

Seamai wrote: »
    Saw some of it the other night. Much of silly but did get a few belly laughs from it giving the two fingers to the PC brigade. As a dyed in the wool shirt lifter was I offended by it? Not one bit.

LOL. It was a civil rights movie. You can reimagine it as giving two fingers to the PC brigade, if you want. But it was very much PC brigade movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm a member of the LQBTQ+ community and I still sing along to that song "suck in your tum, stick out your tush" cos know what I saw as a wee baby one watching that film? I saw homosexuals beating the living crap out of the rough tough macho cowboys while still looking fabulous.

And I've watched it with black friends who are also LGBTQ+ and they think it's hysterically funny.

The straight white conservative people in that film are thick. That's the joke.

LOL. It was a civil rights movie. You can reimagine it as giving two fingers to the PC brigade, if you want. But it was very much PC brigade movie.

Well I wasn't talking about when it was made, I was referring to it giving the two fingers to today's "woke" generation who are offended at just about everything, I was imagining some snowflake stumbling across B.S. the other night and having a meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Cynical , lowbrow rubbish which isn't remotely funny.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

Blazing Saddles is a masterpiece

Hitler: "they lose me after the bunker scene"

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Well I wasn't talking about when it was made, I was referring to giving it the two fingers to today's "woke" generation who are offended at just about everything, I was imagining some snowflake stumbling across B.S. the other night and having a meltdown.

Yeah. In reality the only ones having a meltdown are the ones imagining the woke generation getting upset about it. Hard to imagine such an out of date movie holding anyone's attention now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Brilliant film from the genius Mel Brooks. If only we had more talent like him writing.

I count on one hand decent movies I can watch in the modern era. So many have no script.

Yeah. In reality the only ones having a meltdown are the ones imagining the woke generation getting upset about it. Hard to imagine such an out of date movie holding anyone's attention now.

i still find it exceptionally funny, incredible imagination and intelligence in brooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

The 70's was the high water mark for movies.

and early/mid 80s.

newer films try too much with CGI or are remakes. Originality and fun is gone.

i still find it exceptionally funny, incredible imagination and intelligence in brooks

Yeah I have nostalgia movies that I enjoyed when i was a teenager. If I saw those movies for the first time as an adult there's no way it would have held my attention. BS is a good teen movie. Fart jokes and swearing jokes are aimed at teenagers. Was it aimed at adults when it was released?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Disgraceful bloody film. It was high time it was put in the dustbin. Enjoy racism and trying to pass it off as 'satire' or 'irony' is a farce. It's a trashy film for trashy people.

"Piss on you! I'm working for Mel Brooks!"

• Advertisement

Might want to get that raw nerve seen to.

Yeah I have nostalgia movies that I enjoyed when i was a teenager. If I saw those movies for the first time as an adult there's no way it would have held my attention. BS is a good teen movie. Fart jokes and swearing jokes are aimed at teenagers. Was it aimed at adults when it was released?

society has moved on from a large proportion of the humor in the movie, but of course it is largely nostalgic to many of us, including myself. but i do think many younger generations are possibly overly sensitive to anything thats controversial, i find it very unusual, ive been to many comedy gigs and been offended, frankie boyle comes to mind, but i shook it off and carried on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hard to imagine such an out of date movie holding anyone's attention now.

Ye wha? Have you not seen the news lately??? That movie did more for equality than BLM ever will.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

society has moved on from a large proportion of the humor in the movie, but of course it is largely nostalgic to many of us, including myself. but i do think many younger generations are possibly overly sensitive to anything thats controversial, i find it very unusual, ive been to many comedy gigs and been offended, frankie boyle comes to mind, but i shook it off and carried on

That's what almost everyone does if they are offended by something today too. The only difference between then and now is social media.

I think the content is almost irrelevant today. The mere notion of a black man in charge of white poeple was genuinely shocking to lots of people back then. But in an era when the US has had a (half) black president, it loses all social impact.

Now it's mostly just a movie for people who think it's edgy because they say the word n*gger so often. One poster even thinks it's two fingers to the PC brigade.

Above all its just irrelevant now.

But do you think it was aimed at adults when it was released or would you say it was aimed mostly at teenagers?

bladespin wrote: »
    Ye wha? Have you not seen the news lately??? That movie did more for equality than BLM ever will.

That's an interesting perspective. The kinds of people who want to talk down and oppose BLM are precisely the same peope who would have opposed the civil rights movement and would have opposed BS when it was new.

I don't see any need to pit BLM against BS. I'll leave that to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I saw homosexuals beating the living crap out of the rough tough macho cowboys while still looking fabulous.

Nice homage in Banshee with Job character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

daheff wrote: »
    and early/mid 80s.

newer films try too much with CGI or are remakes. Originality and fun is gone.

Considering Blazing Saddles was made as an intentional pastiche of a Hollywood obsessed with churning out Westerns, there's no basis to say a lack of originality is a new thing. Heck with VOD such as Netflix, Amazon et al there's a fair argument that American cinema has never been so diverse in content, you just gotta look for it and not rely on the cinema listings.

As to Blazing Saddles itself, meh. It's funny but not Brooks' best work IMO. That for me would be Young Frankenstein but I guess you can't get the "dem woke folks wouldn't like it now!" Joe Duffy esque moaning that's going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

pixelburp wrote: »

As to Blazing Saddles itself, meh. It's funny but not Brooks' best work IMO. That for me would be Young Frankenstein but I guess you can't get the "dem woke folks wouldn't like it now!" Joe Duffy esque moaning that's going on here.

But that's literally only a couple of people. And 1 or 2 more who seem upset by it

The majority on the thread either enjoy the film, or acknowledge it's role in furthering the civil rights movement

As is so often the case, the fringes get amplified but it's clear the majority of people see it for what it is. After that humour is all subjective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't see any need to pit BLM against BS. I'll leave that to you.

I think you misunderstood that bit, not really pitting them against each other per say just pointing out that the target audience for BS message (well, the moral one anyway) would have been a lot wider than BLM. The utterly vast majority now know racism is vile, not so many back in the 70s - bear in mind this was as a time when the KKK were renewed and growing fast - something BLM doesn't really have to contend with.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm a member of the LQBTQ+ community and I still sing along to that song "suck in your tum, stick out your tush" cos know what I saw as a wee baby one watching that film? I saw homosexuals beating the living crap out of the rough tough macho cowboys while still looking fabulous.

And I've watched it with black friends who are also LGBTQ+ and they think it's hysterically funny.

The straight white conservative people in that film are thick. That's the joke.

The guy is a blatantly obvious troll. Don't respond to him.

I mean, that must be one of the biggest appeals about the movie for loads of its fans nowadays. The first words of the OP of this thread are "not at all PC" and goes on to say they expect RTE to get emails about it.

The false notion that it's not an anti-PC movie and the script contains the word n*gger abd the fantasy that it will trigger young people, are probably the biggest appeals to its fans in the modern context.

bladespin wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood that bit, not really pitting them against each other per say just pointing out that the target audience for BS message (well, the moral one anyway) would have been a lot wider than BLM. The utterly vast majority now know racism is vile, not so many back in the 70s - bear in mind this was as a time when the KKK were renewed and growing fast - something BLM doesn't really have to contend with.

Well, you did pit them against each other. But the point stands that the same people who like to minimise BLM and talk it down and focus on the negatives (oppose it without saying they oppose it) are precisely the ones who would gave opposed the civil rights movement. They would not have liked the message in this movie back when the message was relevant.

It was written as an uber-PC movie but some credulous people may have drawn some people who didn't get the satire. See the OP's first words in this thread "not at all PC". That's pretty funny.

Does anyone know if it was aimed primarily at a teenage audience or an adult audience?

Well, you did pit them against each other. But the poibt stands that the same oeople who like to minimise BLM and talk it down and focus on the negatives (oppose it without saying they oppose it) are precisely the ones who would gave opposed the civil rights movement. They would not umave liked the message in this movie back when the message was relevant.

It was written as an uber-PC movie but sone credulous people may have drawn some people who didn't get the satire. See the OP's first words in this thread "not at all PC". That's pretty funny.

Does anyone know if it was aimed primarily at a teenage audience or an adult audience?

both id say, i know it was the most watched movie on metallicas tour bus early in their career, they probably would have been in their early 20's then

both id say, i know it was the most watched movie on metallicas tour bus early in their career, they probably would have been in their early 20's then

I'll take your word for it. It's hard to imagine an adult movie with even one scene based around fart jokes today. Maybe comedy was different back then, a lower bar. I don't think I'm missing much if that kind of thing was classed as good comedy in the old days. But you look back further and they had those variety shows that people used to think were funny.

I'll take your word for it. It's hard to imagine an adult movie with even one scene based around fart jokes today. Maybe comedy was different back then, a lower bar. I don't think I'm missing much if that kind of thing was classed as good comedy in the old days. But you look back further and they had those variety shows that people used to think were funny.

yup different times, comedy in ways is a lot more edgy nowadays, frankie boyle is fairly cutting

• Advertisement

yup different times, comedy in ways is a lot more edgy nowadays, frankie boyle is fairly cutting

I like his work. Probably too woke for the anti-PC types but in 50 years time he might get support from the people he opposes who don't get cultural context or satire - like the ones who don't get that BS was such a PC movie.

I like his work. Probably too woke for the anti-PC types but in 50 years time he might get support from the people he opposes who don't get cultural context or satire - like the ones who don't get that BS was such a PC movie.

he is good, but he is very intense, people walked out of the show i was at, he even pushed my boundaries, but i did enjoy him. god only knows hat humans will be into in 50 years time, we ll probably have widely accepted bestiality by then

No, but I watched it with two LOLLERS, an FW and a closet LAM, and they all loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My parents who are in their 60s and 70s watched it at the weekend for the first time and they enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Perfectly reciting Gabby Johnsons 'authentic frontier gibberish' speech used to be my drunken party piece.
    Had to look it up now sadly.

"I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If you were to take Mrs Brown, its an adult comedy with most of the "jokes" based around using the F word.
    People laugh at different things.
    I cant stand Mrs Brown, but I still find this film very funny even though I'm in my 40s now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not quite farting, but one of the best scenes in Bridesmaids revolves around the desperate need for a toilet during a dress fitting. So I don't think scatalogical humour is dead, more perhaps that brief phase of gross-out films in the early 2000s made it less fashionable and seem a lazy path for comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

First time I've seen him described as "woke". Lol

If you were to take Mrs Brown, its an adult comedy with most of the "jokes" based around using the F word.
    People laugh at different things.
    I cant stand Mrs Brown, but I still find this film very funny even though I'm in my 40s now

Yeah I suppose there's no accounting for taste.

The movie came out before/around the time you were born. So you probably saw it first as a teenager abd firmed your opinion of it then. I saw it first as a teenager too and thought it was funny because it has fart jokes and they say n*gger loads while parodying racism.

I suppose you'd need to talk to people in their 40s or 50s when the movie came out first and see what they thought of it when it came out. But those people are in their 90s now.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    First time I've seen him described as "woke". Lol

Yeah he's very left wing/woke/socialist/progressive. Hard to keep up with the derogatory terms but he's woke in the same way that Blazing Saddles was very woke when it was new.

Not quite farting, but one of the best scenes in Bridesmaids revolves around the desperate need for a toilet during a dress fitting. So I don't think scatalogical humour is dead, more perhaps that brief phase of gross-out films in the early 2000s made it less fashionable and seem a lazy path for comedy.

Hard to imagine it being high brow. Comedy seems to have been really poor back then but I suppose TV comedy was in its infancy. Anything got big laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Blazing Saddles is one of the funniest films that I ever watched. As I did watch it once last year; I find the level of humour in it to be just brilliant.

How in the name of Jaysus do people not find this film to be funny?

If anyone else does not find the jokes to be hilarious. What else do they think is classed as funny in their opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah I suppose there's no accounting for taste.

The movie came out before/around the time you were born. So you probably saw it first as a teenager abd firmed your opinion of it then. I saw it first as a teenager too and thought it was funny because it has fart jokes and they say n*gger loads while parodying racism.

I get that you don't like this movie but insinuating people like it because they enjoyed it in their teenage years is a little silly. I never liked the fart scene myself - it was slightly funny the first time but that's about it. There are plenty of other comedies I saw in my teenage years I thought were utter muck by the time I hit college.

By your logic Young Frankenstein which was released in the same year by the same director and probably watched by the same teenagers who saw BS in their formative years falls in to the same category. These are two of the greatest and daftest and was alluded to earlier most quotable comedy movies. It's not just fart scenes or laughing at racism - they are packed with humour - a certain kind of humour.

dasdog wrote: »
    I get that you don't like this movie but insinuating people like it because they enjoyed it in their teenage years is a little silly. I never liked the fart scene myself - it was slightly funny the first time but that's about it. There are plenty of other comedies I saw in my teenage years I thought were utter muck by the time I hit college.

By your logic Young Frankenstein which was released in the same year by the same director and probably watched by the same teenagers who saw BS in their formative years falls in to the same category. These are two of the greatest and daftest and was alluded to earlier most quotable comedy movies. It's not just fart scenes or laughing at racism - they are packed with humour - a certain kind of humour.

A certain kind of humour indeed... A lot of it is very childish and that's why it appealed to the people who first watched it as a teenager. The cross-eyed mayor talking to yer wan's tits... The scene whe the sheriff threatens to shoot himself "don't move or thr n*igger gets it". And of course, the fart scene (which plenty of posters seem to think is high comedy).

I haven't seen Young Frankenstei. Was it similar level of comedy and have I missed the boat by not watching it as a teenager?

What do you want me to say? That comedy never changes? That comedy aimed at children and teenagers isn't funny when you're not a child anymore? Or that a show which was culturally relevant once, isn't relevant anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

A certain kind of humour indeed... A lot of it is very childish and that's why it appealed to the people who first watched it as a teenager. The cross-eyed mayor talking to yer wan's tits... The scene whe the sheriff threatens to shoot himself "don't move or thr n*igger gets it". And of course, the fart scene (which plenty of posters seem to think is high comedy).

I haven't seen Young Frankenstei. Was it similar level of comedy and have I missed the boat by not watching it as a teenager?

What do you want me to say? That comedy never changes? That comedy aimed at children and teenagers isn't funny when you're not a child anymore? Or that a show which was culturally relevant once, isn't relevant anymore?

There's a joke every 10-15 seconds in Blazing Saddles - not all are going to last the test of time and it's easy to cherry pick. Maybe give Young Frankenstein a watch - it's a slower pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Perfectly reciting Gabby Johnsons 'authentic frontier gibberish' speech used to be my drunken party piece.
    Had to look it up now sadly.

"I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter. "

Now who can argue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I have a distinct memory of watching this for the first time when I was maybe ten or eleven with my brother when we were staying at our older, cooler cousin's house.

Its not one of the classic scenes, but the bit where Gene Wilder's character talks about being shot in the ass by a kid had us howling with laughter, quoting the lines ("I limped to the nearest saloon", "little bastard shot me in the ass") and replaying it over and over.

Probably because it was the first time we heard cursing in a film. Still though, pretty funny.

And the farting scene.

Anyway, great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

What a classic, my fav comedy film ever.

Doubt you would get away with it now though, different times etc.

2020 remake...Hedley wants to p1ss off a town...lets throw a trans sheriff in, that will learn them good !!

The Sheriff is a tranny !
    What did he say?
    The sheriff has a fanny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

oleras wrote: »

2020 remake...Hedley wants to p1ss off a town...lets throw a trans sheriff in, that will learn them good !!

What did he say?
    The sheriff has a fanny!

I'm even surprised any channel actually shows it.

I appreciate that its an 'anti-the-racist' film, but it still uses the N word as they call it, and in this day and age channel chiefs could easily never show it again.

oleras wrote: »

What did he say?
    The sheriff has a fanny!

Fair analogy. If it was a pro-trans movie it would annoy the same cohort of people the original movie annoyed in the first place and for mostly the same reasons - PC gone mad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement