Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evergreen Oak

Options
  • 26-07-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting an Evergreen Oak for my garden, has anyone got suggestions of what size tree to get and where to get it?

I have also seen the Upright Hornbeam which cod also work, the span I'm look for is 3m to 5m and upwards of 6m in height

Comments

Hmm, the only evergreen oak I know is Holm Oak, Quercus ilex. Its a fantastic tree, but grows very large, very imposing and obviously heavily shades an area. It's a great choice for a big suburban/country garden, but one of the least suitable tree for small/small-medium gardens. Sorry, not aware of any dwarf cultivars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Holm oak Quercus Ilex does clip very well and can even be used in hedging. So its a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Hmm, the only evergreen oak I know is Holm Oak, Quercus ilex. Its a fantastic tree, but grows very large, very imposing and obviously heavily shades an area. It's a great choice for a big suburban/country garden, but one of the least suitable tree for small/small-medium gardens. Sorry, not aware of any dwarf cultivars.
    I edited the original post, I have also seen the Upright Hornbeam which could also work, the span I'm look for is 3m to 5m and upwards of 6m in height?

Advertisement