Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave entitlements after maternity leave

Options
  • 26-07-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

If some of your 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave flows into the next year, are you still entitled to the previous year annual leave? Or are you best to use up annual leave before you go on maternity leave?
    Does it depend on each company policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

If some of your 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave flows into the next year, are you still entitled to the previous year annual leave? Or are you best to use up annual leave before you go on maternity leave?
    Does it depend on each company policy?

My wife had this issue, she requested from her employer to carry the annual leave but they refused.
    We tried to find some regulations regarding the scenario but couldn't.
    In the end my wife ended up getting paid for her annual leave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

In my job, I took the annual leave I had accrued up until my leave started in June 2019. You can't be forced to take leave you haven't yet qualified for (I rang the workplace relations place to find this out). I should have been back in January 2020 so took some unpaid, then took the leave I accrued on maternity leave from June- Dec 2019 before I started back in March 2020. My boss was happy with this as it meant I wasn't coming back with tonnes of leave still to take.

Advertisement