Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DP to DVI Monitor (not working)

Options
  • 26-07-2020 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello,

I run two monitors (the problem monitor (lets call him James) only has a DVI port, the other (lets call her Fionnula) has a DP port which runs fine).

I bought a new graphics card that doesn't have a DVI port. To cater for this, I bought a DP to DVI cable from amazon for James.

At the same time, I also clean upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a new SSD.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get James to work. He pops up in the display settings as an identified monitor, but his options are greyed out. James just stays blank and doesn't seem to have any input.

I know this is the stuipididest situation ever, but if anyone can spot a glaring problem, please advise.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you tried swapping the DP connections to the monitors to ensure the 'James' output is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Have you tried swapping the DP connections to the monitors to ensure the 'James' output is good?

First swap leads between the monitors to verify the issues is not a monitor and or port in the graphics card.

Once you are happy both monitors will work in either graphics port, then you migth have narrow down the issue to the cables.

"James" has never works with this graphics card? some of these convertor only work with certain cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is also the possibility that your DP ports on the graphics card are not 'dual-node'.

It is necessary for the ports to be dual-mode to be able to connect to HDMI or DVI devices.

The graphics card sockets would have a symbol like this if they comply

120px-DisplayPort_plus_plus.svg.png

You can read about this requirement here (a little more than half way down)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Advertisement