Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rainwater harvester water smells

• 26-07-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

Have an underground RH tank which runs into the house through 3 filters and a UV lamp. It’s used for showers, hot water in taps, etc. When the water is heated it gives an unpleasant smell. I checked the tank and there is quite a bit of sediment in there and I can see worms on the bottom. The tank lids are just concrete so there are small gaps (not sealed). The filter n the tank had lots of what look like dead beatles and I cleaned this out a while back but issue persists. Any idea what is causing the smell? Would I need to empty the tank and clean?

Thanks
    Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

mredbird wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have an underground RH tank which runs into the house through 3 filters and a UV lamp. It’s used for showers, hot water in taps, etc. When the water is heated it gives an unpleasant smell. I checked the tank and there is quite a bit of sediment in there and I can see worms on the bottom. The tank lids are just concrete so there are small gaps (not sealed). The filter n the tank had lots of what look like dead beatles and I cleaned this out a while back but issue persists. Any idea what is causing the smell? Would I need to empty the tank and clean?

Thanks
    Eddie

Sounds like the tank needs to be fully cleaned out anyway. How long is it installed. Filtration system perhaps should be serviced also.

Do you find this system is worth having? Is there facility to bypass it with mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mredbird

Hi Lenar3556,

Thanks for the details. Its about 2.5 years up and running. Filters and UV lamp wre changed a few months ago so they are all good.

I might need to put some wire mesh at the gullies where the downpipes are....at least it might stop debris being flushed into the tank. Has anone else done this?

Its defnitely worth having...in the West of Ireland so no shortage of rain. I can just switch off the pump and the main water will fill the tank instead of the rainwater.

Thanks
    Eddie

Advertisement