Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the cheapest way to get a sim card to test network quality in your phone?

Options
  • 26-07-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭

I want to get a sim card.
    Doesnt matter which network just to see if they have stronger signal where I live than my current one.
    If they do then ill port to them, but i dont want to give my details to any company unless i am acyually porting to them.
    So whats the cheapest way for me to get a sim card sent to me?
    I know Tescomobile used to do them for €2 at one point and then you could stick it in your phone and see if you had good signal.
    I dont trust the mapos because it says I have a great signal with my current network and I dont. Neither does anyone with that network when visiting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

You can get a free one from 48

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I dont trust the mapos because it says I have a great signal with my current network and I dont. Neither does anyone with that network when visiting.

Thanks.

I know you say you don't trust the maps, but are those the networks own maps, which are optimistic to say the least!

Have you looked at ComReg's site viewer which shows the location of all mobile masts. If there is one closer to your, with a decent line of sight, that could be the best network for you.

I know it's not exactly what you asked, but could be worth a look!

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You can get a free one from 48

Thanks. Must try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Speedsie wrote: »
    I know you say you don't trust the maps, but are those the networks own maps, which are optimistic to say the least!

Have you looked at ComReg's site viewer which shows the location of all mobile masts. If there is one closer to your, with a decent line of sight, that could be the best network for you.

I know it's not exactly what you asked, but could be worth a look!

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

Yeah they maps are atrocious.
    They all say we have great signal.
    Its weak, but stays connected outside the house and comes and goes inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There's 3 networks...
    Eir
    Vodafone

The MVNOs and the network they use....
    Eir - Gomo

Vodafone - Post mobile

3 - 48 - Lyca - Tesco - VM

For example, if you are currently a 3 customer then a 48 SIM will probably provide similar coverage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement