Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hong Kong to set up a new city in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Hong Kong food is the best in China

Im all for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

2u2me wrote: »
    Special arrangements will lead to nothing good. If they want to come they should integrate. No special laws, country, zone, etc.. etc..

This is why anti-immigration sentiments have been rising across Europe in recent years [not just because of the refugee scam] The lack of willingness to assimilate to the Country they're living. Instead they want to set up Ethno States so they can live like they were back in their home Country [while still taking advantage of our benefits] The blame ultimately falls on our Politicians and Gardai for letting it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Special arrangements will lead to nothing good. If they want to come they should integrate. No special laws, country, zone, etc.. etc..
    Mr. Karate wrote: »
    This is why anti-immigration sentiments have been rising across Europe in recent years [not just because of the refugee scam] The lack of willingness to assimilate to the Country they're living. Instead they want to set up Ethno States so they can live like they were back in their home Country [while still taking advantage of our benefits] The blame ultimately falls on our Politicians and Gardai for letting it happen.

I agree that this is why anti-immigration sentiments have been increasing - the spread of baseless rumours that have no relationship with anything that is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Integration absolutely , but special economic zones would be needed, our tax rates are insane compared to the likes of hong kong

quokula wrote: »
    I agree that this is why anti-immigration sentiments have been increasing - the spread of baseless rumours that have no relationship with anything that is actually happening.

It's not one or the other.

The current situation which often mirrors the behavior of US politics/Media is the problem. There is too much effort put into shutting down intelligent debate about immigration issues in Europe, which simply gives credibility to many of the far-right claims. Just as there has been a rise of misinformation, or tampering of information to project different sides' perceptions of the situation.

Anti-immigration sentiments have been increasing because there are no clear plans to integrate migrants into European societies. There are no clear plans to upskill migrants up to the level where they can effectively compete with locals, which leads to ghetto's with massive inequalities and poverty. Just as there's little consideration about the native populations own problems before accepting in migrants.

The problem being that it' s an issue that is being used as a political soap box (or virtue signalling). Which is why the "Us vs Them" movements have gained so much traction.. It's divisive, which leads to frustration, and misinformed populations who will become more anti-immigration because they're not being led in a responsible fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's only considered xenophobic by those who won't tolerate those with differing opinions. I tend live in Asia, so I'm hardly xenophobic, but I'd seriously question the introduction of an autonomous zone of HK people in Ireland. People like to think of HK as being ultra modern, with everyone having access to high education, along with having very good skills for employment. That's only a slice of HK.. and there are many other considerations (not solely about economics) worth looking at.

People throw out xenophobia to shutdown the opinions of others. It's important to ask all the hard questions, so that every possible negative/positive is identified. That's not xenophobic, that's being practical and careful with the future of our nation.

I find it quite curious that of the entirety of my post, that its the word xenophobia and the inferences you assign it you take exception to?
    If you want to apply a label that I took pains to predicate with "usually" to yourself? Feel free.

There was no-one targeted in my post, and I was probably poorly ;) attempting to illustrate what is a dichotomy to my mind.
    Between on the one hand welcoming affluent migrants and affording a special zone and that of not wanting those pesky free-loaders running from social or economic hardship.

Happy to discuss the rest of my own post too? if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How and where do they intend on acquiring 80 sq miles of land? State owned maybe Coillte or Bord na Mona. The IDA can't CPO private land.

They tried to CPO land next to Intel from that farmer and lost so yeah CPO would not be a viable option here. And nor is finding 80 square miles of land, the State has that in national parks and Coilte but we're not going cutting down hundreds of thousands of trees at a time when we should be planting more. The only way it could happen is by the consent of existing landowners and farmers are generally not in the business of selling land unless it is completely necessary. You might find the odd farmer who will take a big cheque but finding 80 sqaure miles worth of privately owned land would be impossible.

The other side of this that hasnt been mentioned is do we really want to start a trade war with Beijing? Any country giving Hong Kongers refuge from the CCP is going to face a response in kind. For us that means Beijing would likely ban the import of Irish beef. Bord Bia have only just opened up this market and with 1.4bn citizens and a rapidly growning middle class who like premium products it is important for Irish agriculture that we can export our beef to China.

Overall it is pie in the sky and you would wonder what civil servants within the Department of Foreign affairs are doing wasting their time on this. Even talking openly about something that is never going to come to fruition anyway is risking our trade relationship with Beijing.

banie01 wrote: »
    I find it quite curious that of the entirety of my post, that its the word xenophobia and the inferences you assign it you take exception to?
    If you want to apply a label that I took pains to predicate with "usually" to yourself? Feel free.

Because you made the statement and then went on to talk about economics. You didn't expand on the xenophobia statement. I didn't agree with the comment.
    There was no-one targeted in my post, and I was probably poorly ;) attempting to illustrate what is a dichotomy to my mind.
    Between on the one hand welcoming affluent migrants and affording a special zone and that of not wanting those pesky free-loaders running from social or economic hardship.

Happy to discuss the rest of my own post too? if you wish.

I didn't disagree with what you said in the remainder of your post. Which is why i didn't address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

quokula wrote: »

Keep telling yourself that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well the UK are busy sailing off into irrelevance so there is an opening for a financial center in Europe. Not such a daft statement these days.

I don't have anything against the Chinese. They work hard wherever they go and are generally law abiding. A Chinatown area on the island could be a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I know a variety of Chinese people living in HK, who have spoken of crime in their area, similar to what happens on the mainland. With the existence of the Triad gangs, crime exists in the form of extortion, blackmail, protection rackets and other crimes. They're just kept out of the limelight. So, dodgy for the locals who aren't living in the better areas..
    I also know a variety of Chinese people living in Hong Kong, I find it incredibly strange to talk about HK as anything but a very safe city (for locals as well as ex-pats). The "bad" areas of HK (Sham Shui Po, Yuen Long) will be much safer than the "bad" areas in most Western cities.

I'm not saying Hong Kong has zero crime, but things are not very dodgy for locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

It has been muted for in England too. Its essentially a haven for Hong Kongers wanting to escape from the increasing Chinese influence.

I would definitely welcome more pathways for Hong Kongers to come to Ireland. It is probably the most educated workforce in the world. I was in Hong Kong a few years ago. The museums are filled with children, and not children on School trips, it was their day off and parents bring them to museums. They are crazy into education.

We were talking recently about our looming pension crisis. We are not going to plug it with goat herders from Somalia and fruit sellers from the Congo, chancing their arm for asylum. We need better immigration. People from the elite parts of the world.

As I said, I have been to Hong Kong. They are far more advanced than we are. The operation of getting 8m people into such a small place without ever feeling overcrowded is remarkable. Their transport system is probably the most elite in the world.
    This isn't a very balanced look at HK at all.....nevermind the bit of your post that sounds straight off Stormfront ("goat herders from Somalia")

This is all incredibly unrealistic anyway, and will never happen. But the idea that HKers are all some ultra capitalist super race that will drive Ireland's economy is a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Well the UK are busy sailing off into irrelevance so there is an opening for a financial center in Europe. Not such a daft statement these days.

London is the capital of European finance. In or out of the EU it will remain the capital of European finance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Back in the 80s people wanted our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hong-kong-tycoon-scales-down-plans-for-new-city-in-ireland-rzs2f9jb5
    “So we started with a model to take the Hong Kong system and then put it into another country. And what we found out is that that is not welcome.

so the Hong Kong system isn't welcome hmmm, not even in China!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

That remains (ha) to be seen...

For now and the foreseeable future London will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

That remains (ha) to be seen...

Not really. It's a dead cert

statesaver wrote: »
    ' control of it's own borders ' Is that not racist though ??

Build it on the Galway / Mayo border and call it Hong Kong Cong or New Kong Cong.

'Hong Cong' excellent!

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Back in the 80s people wanted our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal.

Or that time when Disneyland was looking to set up their first European theme park and Kerry was muted as a location. They went with Paris in the end.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Or that time when Disneyland was looking to set up their first European theme park and Kerry was muted as a location. They went with Paris in the end.

Shame, Disneyland Dingle has a great ring to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Integration absolutely , but special economic zones would be needed, our tax rates are insane compared to the likes of hong kong

Why do you say they are needed, to attract the people of HK? Surely that would just build resentment.

Would lower tax rates for everyone not be optimal?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why do you say they are needed, to attract the people of HK? Surely that would just build resentment.

Would lower tax rates for everyone not be optimal?

It would be but its not going to happen. Build a zone with low taxation and low welfare / no social housing / no quangos etc.. to attract hk residents / businesses , leave the rest of the country to its wasteful spending and high taxes.

The people from HK who would be interested in coming here will do so anyway. People here tend to forget that internationally, Ireland is seen as a very prosperous nation, and a solid alternative to Europe/UK. As British citizens, HK people will be able to easily move here, although I suspect most will go to Singapore, or Australia.

There's no need to provide incentive's for their migration. The choices in Europe mean that Ireland will be a high choice regardless, being an English speaking country, and doing well economically.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

And will they be pledging loyalty to the Queen and commonwealth? No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

/\ Hong Kong ceased to be a member of the Commonwealth in 1997. It's striking how this thread has revealed so much ignorance about HK and it's relationship with China.

I don't recall the nation fuming at the Shannon Free Zone. Maybe they did in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

It would be but its not going to happen. Build a zone with low taxation and low welfare / no social housing / no quangos etc.. to attract hk residents / businesses , leave the rest of the country to its wasteful spending and high taxes.

Have they got many options though? From what I gather the UK are the only ones offering them sanctuary. Australia are also looking into the matter.

I guess they're going to feel the wrath of the CCP too. Similar to how Drew Pavlou has been treated there recently for speaking out against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look at Canada.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Hong Kong to set up new city in Ireland, really?
    New bridge to be built connecting NI to Scotland.
    Irish Unification looming large on the horizon.
    Scotland to leave the UK in the next few years.

None of the above can be taken for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I have no issues whatsoever, with this. This is a seriously underpopulated country. As long as the inhabitants live by Irish law, it's a win for everyone.

As long as nobody would be giving them the land, they would be free to purchase it at the going rate though.

• Advertisement

It would never happen in the form it has been suggested. I dont think the EU would take too kindly to a member state selling off a slice of their territory and then for that to be non-EU.

I would have no problems with us taking in Hong Kongers seeking refuge from the CCP and if they all wanted to settle in a certain town/area then fine. But actually giving them sovereign territory is a whole different kettle of fish.

Id also wonder why they want their own sovereign territory rather than just being welcomed into Ireland as it is. Half of me thinks ultimately its a ruse to get their banking sector established and then have the protection of a territory to do as they please with little to no regulation. Hong Kong banks are known to engage in wild west type banking and turning a blind eye to washing mafia money. Their main bank HSBC was caught money laundering almost $1bn a couple of years back and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Advertisement