Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wiring a new oven

• 27-07-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Oven went kaput, need a new one and looking to connect it up, heating element is gone and can't source the correct replacement.

There is a mains lead running from the wall to a junction box, then one set going to the hob and another going to the old cooker.

I'm assuming i just need to splice the wires from the new cooker and connect them the same way the old one was connected?

Obviously it will be turned off at the fuse box while i do this.

Can't get a hold of a sparky for the next 2-3 weeks to do this hence why i need to do it myself.

vhdy7Wg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Biggest wire should be 6sq, it's the mains feed, the cable to the oven should be 2.5sq, but have seen 1.5 flex supplied where oven is pre wired.

You will need to connect to the 6sq mains in the junction box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Thanks for the quick response, the picture is how it looks at the moment with the old cooker, i literally haven't touched anything yet. I've update the pic.

bX30WOQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mains supply looks too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am pretty certain the one you have listed as hobs is mains.
    There be na lot of cable in the box for nsomeone not familar with wiring.
    You can just leave it and put new connection on cooker wire.
    Make sure the connections are tight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try e-spares they usually have heating elements that fit most cookers. They are pretty generic and interchangeable. What model is the oven ?

Check on the electrical forum.
    My understanding is that the hob and oven should be on different circuits. As the Oven needs a lower rated fuse than the hob.

Mains cable looks small, definitely Looks smaller than the hob , but carrying the oven load aswell !!

What rating have the terminal blocks ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

ted1 wrote: »
    Try e-spares they usually have heating elements that fit most cookers.

Check on the electrical forum.
    My understanding is that the hob and oven should be on different circuits. As the Oven needs a lower rated fuse than the hob.

Mains cable looks small, definitely Looks smaller than the hob , but carrying the oven load aswell !!

What rating have the terminal blocks ?

Ted is right and i did not think of it.
    You will get on eBay, it will tell you if suitable for your oven.
    Make sure to buy the more expensive in whicj be about €20.
    I made the mistake of buying cheaper one and had to replace again after a year or so...

Advertisement