Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

If ever you get the chance to visit the European Parliament on an open day, have a look at the translation service.* It's a seriously impressive set-up, and I'm pretty sure they could have any agreement of under 1000 pages translated by the Macron's bedtime the following day. :cool:

* (and if you're feeling courageous, have a go at trying to do a simultaneous audio translation ... :eek: )

It is impressive, but I assume it won't be Parliament translation services doing this particular translation? I presume Commission lawyer/linguists? It shouldn't be a huge deal, not as complicated as doing other legislative translations which could be far more technically demanding.

I'd imagine they could do a "not legally binding" courtesy translation quickly, but that a full legal translation would take more time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

druss wrote: »
    I see Howard Goodall replies in thread and links to his website article on impacts on musicians, composers and authors. Life really is about to get unnecessarily messy for so many people.

I also saw this being discussed elsewhere on Twitter and a UK based musician (who claimed to have voted Remain) was arguing that all of this was so much EU vindictiveness and that EU could just exempt UK artists as a sign of goodwill. :confused:

Didn't hear too many musicians come out in favour of Remain but a few high profile Leavers, Morrissey, John Lydon and Roger Daltry. The first 2 live in LA I think.
    Will be a lot of paperwork, permits, etc for bands to fill out in the future.

Not sure how royalties etc will be affected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Roanmore wrote: »
    Didn't hear too many musicians come out in favour of Remain but a few high profile Leavers, Morrissey, John Lydon and Roger Daltry. The first 2 live in LA I think.
    Will be a lot of paperwork, permits, etc for bands to fill out in the future.

Not sure how royalties etc will be affected?

Can remember Geldof, Billy Bragg, Jarvis Cocker and a few others being pretty vocal on the remain side pre referendum. But of course the likes of Morrissey and Lydon ranting about lost british values and blowing their musical dog whistles was of much greater interest to the media so they simply attracted a lot more attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can remember Geldof, Billy Bragg, Jarvis Cocker and a few others being pretty vocal on the remain side pre referendum. But of course the likes of Morrissey and Lydon ranting about lost british values and blowing their musical dog whistles was of much greater interest to the media so they simply attracted a lot more attention.

One group was advocating collaboration, inclusiveness and engagement.
    The other, imperialism, isolation and division.

Which media was more interested in the former? The Express? The Sun? The Times? The Telegraph? The BBC?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bruce Dickinson, singer with Iron Maiden, also proudly voted to leave citing that "Brexit will not change the status of the [country] by very much”, except for enhanc[ing] our economic capabilities. That’s good for us and, in the long run, good for Europe as well, ... Because as the fifth largest economy in the world, Europe would like access to our market.”

What most surprised me with his decision, is that as a qualified 747 pilot, he stands to put unnecessary barriers in front of his hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One group was advocating collaboration, inclusiveness and engagement.
    The other, imperialism, isolation and division.

Which media was more interested in the former? The Express? The Sun? The Times? The Telegraph? The BBC?

But i think this just highlights an unfortunate reality of the campaign, how much easier it was to sell the slogan rich, details light leave argument. No matter how worthy, Bob Geldof sending a strongly worded letter to Theresa May is not going to compete with the likes of Morrissey or John Lydon going off on one. That's always going to get the column inches, regardless of any agenda. Even Geldofs flotilla wouldn't have had the impact it did had Farage not set out to sabotage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Bruce Dickinson, singer with Iron Maiden, also proudly voted to leave citing that "Brexit will not change the status of the [country] by very much”, except for enhanc[ing] our economic capabilities. That’s good for us and, in the long run, good for Europe as well, ... Because as the fifth largest economy in the world, Europe would like access to our market.”

What most surprised me with his decision, is that as a qualified 747 pilot, he stands to put unnecessary barriers in front of his hobby.
    What most surprises me, is that anyone with enough dot-connecting smarts to qualify as a 747 pilot, would be taken in by the guff that you attributed to him there.

More likely Dickinson sold out for personal interests outbalancing his hobby...

...would he happen to bank in a Crown dependency tax haven, by any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ambro25 wrote: »
    What most surprises me, is that anyone with enough dot-connecting smarts to qualify as a 747 pilot, would be taken in by the guff that you attributed to him there.

That's the conclusion I'd be inclined to arrive at as well. Doesn't make me any less sad though.

I think there's a wealthy white demographic here who are more than happy to moan about Britain not feeling British while they hoard their money and assets abroad, sometimes even themselves as well such as John Cleese.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It is clear that the Dept. of Foreign Affairs has always had the brightest and best of our Civil Servants who have fought tirelessly for our own states interests by quietly using their soft power around the world.
    Meanwhile in the UK, politicians are undermining their own team.

This is what Coveney said back in 2018
    "while the British civil service was arguably the best in the world, it needed political direction to make more progress on the complex issues linked to Brexit."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think he lived in Chiswick until he separated from his wife and now lives in Paris with his girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lawred2 wrote: »
    But as a market to sell cars.. the UK is still one of biggest in Europe. And it's a market where the Nissan brand is well and long established.
    If only Japan had recently signed a free trade deal with the UK ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This is a handy ace for Barnier to play in the next round of negotiations. The Governor of the Bank of England has just said that a No deal Brexit will be worse for Britain's economy than the pandemic.

If only Japan had recently signed a free trade deal with the UK ...

I see EU-Japan trade negotiations started back in 2013. I wonder if the final EU-Japan deal would have been as generous on the automotive front, if the UK had still been a committed member? Likewise, even allowing for Liz Truss and her interest in cheese, surely the UK would have preferred to tweaked cars text over cheese text, if not so keen to sign something.

Iron Maiden will be grand. Like the Johnson's and Moog's of this world, someone else will do the paperwork. The established back catalogue will keep ticking over as well. To quote him.
    “Iron Maiden music is global music – we have fans everywhere,” he said. “I don’t see any problem with touring Australia – that’s not part of the EU. There’s no problem with touring in Japan – that’s not part of the EU. I don’t see any problem with touring America. Oh, let me see – that’s not part of the EU. Do those musicians have problems coming to Europe? No.”

Which is true for them. Now.

Of course, a mere five seconds research on Wikipedia and you can see the following in their "breakthrough years", a European tour supporting Judas Priest, a solo-tour of small venues in Italy, followed by breakthrough hits across Europe..long before they were established in the US.

Maybe he could reflect on whether a Judas Priest level band in 2024 would be bothered with expending extra cash and logistical effort to bring a young talented London based band with them. Or maybe it will just be easier to let the local promoter sort out a few local acts and not wait for the plebs to get custom clearance every single step of the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The likes of Iron Maiden will always be grand. It's the new groups, indie acts and so on operating on shoestring budgets who'll get screwed but that's Brexit in a nutshell really.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

This is a handy ace for Barnier to play in the next round of negotiations. The Governor of the Bank of England has just said that a No deal Brexit will be worse for Britain's economy than the pandemic.

Surely it is over now, no deal inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

And Bailey was selected purely for his support of Brexit

Surely it is over now, no deal inevitable.

Well, it will be No Deal or a deal that is No Deal with lipstick.

Jizique wrote: »
    And Bailey was selected purely for his support of Brexit

Yes, he defeated an anti-Brexit candidate. In February this year, he said that leaving the EU would give Britain the chance to ditch any Brussels red tape which damages the financial sector, while adapting other regulations to better suit the UK. Kind of changing his tune now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,056 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, he defeated an anti-Brexit candidate. In February this year, he said that leaving the EU would give Britain the chance to ditch any Brussels red tape which damages the financial sector, while adapting other regulations to better suit the UK. Kind of changing his tune now.

Complete nonsense in other words. Brexit UK is taking on a hundred times more red tape. Did he throw that out as a sop to the loons, knowing it to be untrue?

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Complete nonsense in other words. Brexit UK is taking on a hundred times more red tape. Did he throw that out as a sop to the loons, knowing it to be untrue?

Possibly. I think he was a true believer. Or just said the right things to please Johnson and Cummings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,056 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Possibly. I think he was a true believer. Or just said the right things to please Johnson and Cummings.

He must surely have known that leaving the Single Market would damage the financial sector. That quote sounds like it came from a member of UKIP.

Strazdas wrote: »
    He must surely have known that leaving the Single Market would damage the financial sector. That quote sounds like it came from a member of UKIP.

Absolutely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Now they are talking about chilled prepared foods like ready meals, and minced meat. These are banned from entering the EU from a third country which will mean the UK from the first of Jan 2021. Now the ban includes GB to NI imports.

The UK said it will reciprocate - so a bun fight will ensue. We import a lot of this stuff - unhealthy factory made 'food', so it might be good for the nations health, but obviously the general population like it - or at least the convenience of it. I think most is brought in by UK supermarkets.

Another unexpected consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Now they are talking about chilled prepared foods like ready meals, and minced meat. These are banned from entering the EU from a third country which will mean the UK from the first of Jan 2021. Now the ban includes GB to NI imports.

The UK said it will reciprocate - so a bun fight will ensue. We import a lot of this stuff - unhealthy factory made 'food', so it might be good for the nations health, but obviously the general population like it - or at least the convenience of it. I think most is brought in by UK supermarkets.

Another unexpected consequence.

It cant and it wont. They simply dont produce remotely enough food to feed the Island

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

listermint wrote: »
    It cant and it wont. They simply dont produce remotely enough food to feed the Island

I did not say they will - I said that they say they will. It is a bun fight.

Anyway, if they do not export it, they can eat it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,294 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That Greencore are the main manufacturer of that type of foods and are an Irish firm listed in London and reporting in Sterling is an added complication.

Another major manufacturer of similar products is Nomad who have their pizza plants in Ireland; I'm not sure if that's covered but they manufacture the vast bulk of the entire European frozen pizza market in Naas and Longford.

L1011 wrote: »
    That Greencore are the main manufacturer of that type of foods and are an Irish firm listed in London and reporting in Sterling is an added complication.

Coveny's brother runs Greencore.
    Another major manufacturer of similar products is Nomad who have their pizza plants in Ireland; I'm not sure if that's covered but they manufacture the vast bulk of the entire European frozen pizza market in Naas and Longford.

Frozen food is not a problem. It is chilled food that is banned from entering the EU from third countries - which will include the UK from 1/1/2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭trellheim

Vonderleyen to make a statement in next few mins according to tony connelly STAND BY !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

trellheim wrote: »
    Vonderleyen to make a statement in next few mins according to tony connelly STAND BY !

First tweet, seems not Brexit related,

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1331205786031300610?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement