Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

cml387 wrote: »
    UK citizens in Ireland have the right to reside here and work, and vice versa for Irish citizens.

There seems to be a tendency to imagine (or wish for) all kinds of scary outcomes for the UK after January.

That's because we have the Common Travel Area that predates the EU. UK Citizens are most likely going to lose to their automatic rights to work and study in the rest of the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is exactly it. Brexit was predicated on the idea that it would break apart the EU. The narrative is that Cameron went to the EU trying to get reform of the EU (he really wanted British exceptionalism, but facts are not relevant to the narrative), and when they said no the British people voted to leave. All the rhetoric is about a corrupt, unelected dictatorship in the EU etc.

Even now, after they have left, Brexiteer internet commentators, British media and some prominent Brexit minded politicians spend far more time looking at the EU and complaining about how e.g. the EU is spending money, and ignoring the waste of money that is taking place domestically in the UK.

But most importantly of all, while the Breixteers hate the EU, what they want more than anything is an almost identical union of European states, only one which is led by and dominated by themselves. They talk of Global Britain, their friends and partners in the EU and how they need us more than we need them. They refuse to even accept minimum regulatory alignment but get outraged at the suggestion that they would ever dip their standards lower than EU countries. It's all designed around the central conceit that everything done by the EU is inherently bad, even if the exact same things (environmental protection, human rights, democracy, free trade amongst peer nations, beneficial terms to developing nations, etc) are inherently good.

Some Brexiteers even claim to have invented democracy while calling the EU anti-democratic.

As I've said before, if what the Brexiteers said was really true, then the UK would have to leave the UN as well to be consistent. However, they have a permanent security council seat and so benefit from an elevated status that is entirely unwarranted in the modern world in that venue, so are free to e.g. ignore the vote on the Chagos Islands

I think this old cartoon sums it up quite nicely:

k4nycf2b6vc21.jpg

The EU has simply set itself to the tasks required to negotiate a Brexit deal to ensure flowing trade, peace in NI, the settlement of financial obligations and guaranteeing citizens' rights. Brexit is the single greatest piece of anti-Eurosceptic propaganda ever created.

It's no coincidence that we saw a ramping up of anti-EU rhetoric at the same time as international tax evasion became something the Commission was starting to pay serious attention to.

The irony about leadership is that nobody has seriously wanted to lead the EU. When they can be bothered the British can have their own way on a lot of things. It was Thatcher who pushed through the advancement of the single market during the Delors Commission for instance. The problem is that the German Chancellor tends to be the one holding the bag as we saw with the German cars trope.
    For all that said, there is a strong argument that now is a good time for the EU to maybe reassess how it operates. I don't believe that countries should feel that they have to join the EU. Given a choice, I'd much rather that countries join the EEA instead as we are currently seeing that the EU is so committed to the idea of consensus decision making, that it is unable to deal with States and bad actors who operate within the EU but seek to destabilise it.

I think the EU might have to take a step backwards from ever closer union for a few years, and make sure that the union that currently exists is as robust as can be.

All of this has largely been ignored due to the waves caused by Brexit, which is a shame. Arguably if they had stayed in the EU the last four years would have been spent looking at the future of the EU rather than as a sort of crisis management. We are all worse off due to Brexit, both in the EU and in the UK. That is the worst part of all this!

I think that this has been happening. We're seeing talk of a Green New Deal, a rescue package to help with covid and so on. It's an unwieldy union of 27 countries so speed isn't a reasonable thing to expect but there are encouraging signs.

In the absence of British leadership, the French have stepped up. It was Macron who vetoed the recent accession talks and Macron who held out to make sure Johnson only got a 3-month extension.

Ever closer union is basically a meme at this stage. It's been there for decades. The British were quietly told in the seventies that nobody had any real appetite for it. Expansion is dead as well. For the next decade, I'd say the EU is simply going to enter a state of semi-quiescence while pushing through a few larger agendas and the budget.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭cml387

Roanmore wrote: »
    Don't know where you are getting your scary outcomes from but most people who answered here said a Visa will be required and they will have to join the non EU queue which is true

Where are you getting the idea that UK citizens will need a visa to vist EU countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭trellheim

UK - for example - will not be able to use e-Gates at immigration in Schengen countries ( as it stands, no idea whats in the tunnel negotiations)

In addition I think they agreed if I recall that entry and exit visas are not required for EU and UK nationals in the Withdrawal agreement but it definitely does not constitute right to remain/work/use social services/healthcare (* note does not apply to Irish citizens we have , and UK nationals do, still have full rights in both countries)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Where are you getting the idea that UK citizens will need a visa to vist EU countries?

Why wouldn't they? Unless it is agreed as par of the deal, and the UK continues to say that all they want if a FTA deal, Canada, which has no allowance for free travel.

I do think it will be waived, or at most a 90 day US style waiver given pretty much automatically.

The bigger issue will be that of medical insurance and insurance in general. That may have a serious cost to UK travellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People seem to be getting a mite confused.

Travel for holidays will require a valid passport for UK citizens as it does for us.
    There should be no other restrictions other than those that Spain has for security purposes.

UK citizens in Ireland have the right to reside here and work, and vice versa for Irish citizens.

There seems to be a tendency to imagine (or wish for) all kinds of scary outcomes for the UK after January.

I think you are completely off base here.

Post Jan 1st, UK citizens would have to apply for a Visa to travel to or work in EU countries outside of Ireland due to current travel agreement in place.

There may be a phase of allowance due to many UK passport holders working in the EU who will have to normalise their residency.

But no, Passport will not be enough into 2021. VISA and whatever additional charges countries wish to impose will be the new norm.

I cant believe this is a serious question! :rolleyes:

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? Unless it is agreed as par of the deal, and the UK continues to say that all they want if a FTA deal, Canada, which has no allowance for free travel.

I do think it will be waived, or at most a 90 day US style waiver given pretty much automatically.

The bigger issue will be that of medical insurance and insurance in general. That may have a serious cost to UK travellers

US 90 days still requires a visa.

/The end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They voted to end free movement. Various senior Tories have cheerfully announced the stripping away of British citizens' rights in this regard.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

While it won't happen in 2021, in 2022 UK citizens will have to apply to Etias, a pre-travel authorisation system, in advance to travel to the EU. While it's technically not a visa, you're still having another layer of bureaucracy added to your travel plans.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    US 90 days still requires a visa.

/The end.

It doesn't. It requires a visa waiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,109 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

British peoples rights here don't create any further rights in the rest of the EU (schengen area) afaik.
    They are British and will have to satisfy the relevant requirements for travel, regardless of where they are living.

Perhaps they could look at becoming Irish if that is possible.

There are over 100,000 UK citizens living in Ireland. I'd imagine most of them are eligible for Irish citizenship but simply haven't bothered applying because there has been no practical need to do so, not out of any lack of fondness for their adopted country.

The question is simply whether, IF the EU agrees to allow British citizens resident in Ireland to travel unrestricted in the EU for non-work purposes, whether there is any practical way for these people to prove their residence at an EU airport, given that to date Ireland hasn't issued any residence documentation to these people.

Almost all of them will have Irish drivers licenses (they should have been swapping their UK licenses through the transition period, as should Irish citizens with UK licenses), but that obviously doesn't prove much.

I think you are completely off base here.

Post Jan 1st, UK citizens would have to apply for a Visa to travel to or work in EU countries outside of Ireland due to current travel agreement in place.

There may be a phase of allowance due to many UK passport holders working in the EU who will have to normalise their residency.

But no, Passport will not be enough into 2021. VISA and whatever additional charges countries wish to impose will be the new norm.

I am talking about travel for holidays only.
    Visas were not required before the single European act and Visa free travel is available to many countries outside the EU now. Yes there will be restrictions on UK people working in the EU and residing there if retired.

But John Bull going on holidasy to Portugal will not need a Visa.

It doesn't. It requires a visa waiver.

We can get into semantics but the ESTA system if you wittle away the talk its a visa. You can travel here for x days and only do x if you are from country x.

Thats a visa. You can call it a waiver but it is what it is.

Visas were not required before the single European act and Visa free travel is available to many countries outside the EU now. Yes there will be restrictions on UK people working in the EU and residing there if retired.

John Bull will need to get a visa waiver to travel to Portugal, they way he would going to the US.

John Bull will need to get a visa waiver to travel to Portugal, they way he would going to the US.

Wrong

There will be restrictions on working travel.

he will require to apply and receive and present additional paper work which allow him to travel and stay for a defined period of time. Its called a waiver, it has visa waiver on it. Its a visa in its function and form. Less intensive than most visas because of origin though

You really really really should not be taking a UK Gov site as gospel .

Thats bizarre.

It really fells now the chickens are coming home to roost and this is whats going to blow up in the tories faces next year.

big time! The average UK citizen has no appetite for whats coming

We can get into semantics but the ESTA system if you wittle away the talk its a visa. You can travel here for x days and only do x if you are from country x.

Thats a visa. You can call it a waiver but it is what it is.

From the official US Customs and Border Protection site:
    ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

There's nothing semantic about it.

It's the same style of system in place in the EU.

Wrong

There will be restrictions on working travel.

I already said that this will be from 2022.
    Is Etias a visa?
    Officially, no. Europe says that Etias is “a pre-travel authorisation system for visa-exempt travellers”. It is a similar concept to the US Esta and Canadian eTA, which are not technically visas.

“Its key function is to verify if a third country national meets entry requirements before travelling to the Schengen area.” says the EU.

But as Etias requires visitors to apply in advance, provide lots of personal information, pay money (€7/£6), and be issued with a permit to cross a border, I contend it amounts to a normal person’s understanding of a visa.

When and where must I apply?
    There is no need to worry about this aspect of Brexit until 2022. The European Union originally hoped it would be ready by 2021, but that date has slipped.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-passport-visa-eu-european-union-etias-electronic-system-a9318016.html

• Advertisement

From the official US Customs and Border Protection site:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

There's nothing semantic about it.

It's the same style of system in place in the EU.

Its still a visa, you just dont have to hoop through interview processes and all the hikes in person to go on a holiday like a full visa.

Waiver or not you and i know what it is.

You really really really should not be taking a UK Gov site as gospel .

Thats bizarre.

It really fells now the chickens are coming home to roost and this is whats going to blow up in the tories faces next year.

big time! The average UK citizen has no appetite for whats coming

OK, can you point to a source which says that a Visa will be required for UK passport holders for holiday travel to the EU from Jan 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

It has been said by media hacks I think but they will not need one to comets Ireland because of the free movement agreement that existed prior to the EU.

OK, can you point to a source which says that a Visa will be required for UK passport holders for holiday travel to the EU from Jan 1st.

It really feels like you are entirely unprepared for the new world you will be facing. Im shocked after 4 years of this people never bothered their arses understanding that the same benefits you had prior to access to the EU are GONE. GONE GONE.

Were you celebrating patels Freedom of movement nonsense 2 weeks ago without the realisation of what it really means.. or did you just think it was for work ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What all this shows is that regardless of what happens, travel will be more complicated for a UK passport holder within the EU from now on.

Will they have access to medical treatment? Can they travel freely within the EU27 during a holiday? Does their driving licence cover them? The fact that they will have to queue in the NonEU queue at airports.

Some of these are bigger issues that others, but it is obvious that in most cases they have not been considered in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Roanmore wrote: »
    Don't know where you are getting your scary outcomes from but most people who answered here said a Visa will be required and they will have to join the non EU queue which is true

Nope, EU law was amended last year to include the UK as one of the countries that doesn't need a visa for short term travel into the Schengen area.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32019R0592

They will need a visa to stay for more than 90 days in any 180 day period, and for any business travel.

There is a reciprocity amendment included so if the UK introduces visa requirements for any EU member state then visas will be required for UK nationals entering the schengen area.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What all this shows is that regardless of what happens, travel will be more complicated for a UK passport holder within the EU from now on.

Will they have access to medical treatment? Can they travel freely within the EU27 during a holiday? Does their driving licence cover them? The fact that they will have to queue in the NonEU queue at airports.

Some of these are bigger issues that others, but it is obvious that in most cases they have not been considered in all of this.

Will they have access to medical treatment? No Not unless insured

Can they travel freely within the EU27 during a holiday? No there will have to be an agreement on the extent a Waiver allows, EU27 will have to agree to that.

Does their driving licence cover them? Apparently no it does not as per the changes in Ireland here we are having to ask people to swap their licenses over. Id assume UK license holders may have to have an international license perhaps, again not agreed yet.

The fact that they will have to queue in the NonEU queue at airports. Definitely this will happen it has to happen they are not in the EU, they are 3rd country.

It really feels like you are entirely unprepared for the new world you will be facing. Im shocked after 4 years of this people never bothered their arses understanding that the same benefits you had prior to access to the EU are GONE. GONE GONE.

Were you celebrating patels Freedom of movement nonsense 2 weeks ago without the realisation of what it really means.. or did you just think it was for work ??

I'm not facing any new world as I'm not British nor living in the UK.
    I think the whole Brexit farrago is an absolute and complete disaster for everyone concerned.
    I just called out some misunderstandings about travel after Jan Ist for UK citizens.
    It seems even that is too much for posters in what is increasingly becoming an echo chamber.

I think the whole Brexit farrago is an absolute and complete disaster for everyone concerned.
    I just called out some misunderstandings about travel after Jan Ist for UK citizens.
    It seems even that is too much for posters in what is increasingly becoming an echo chamber.

I tried to answer your questions that to say that a Visa Waiver Programme will probably be in place in 2022 but you seem to ignore the 2022 part of my answers.

• Advertisement

So you are saying a UK citizen can just rock up with their passport with no changes required other than to say im on holiday at the desk.

Is that your assertion, ? are we back to project fear again ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement