Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭I told ya

I was driving round the M25 a couple of years ago, my wife had tuned in a local radio station as she likes talk radio. The host was interviewing the ex Brexit secretary Raab. I nearly crashed the car when he used the term "Filthy French" when he was moaning about something Macron had done.

This is the level of intelligence Barnier has had to deal with for the last four years. I feel for him and his team.

Prior to Fiona Bruce taking over QT I noticed a lowering of standards. Would it be more than a year ago? On one programme the word 'liar' was used to describe a person who was not present and therefor unable to defend themselves. No one batted an eye lid. Dimbleby didn't intervene. For me that was a sure sign that journalistic standards were falling.

Likewise, the radio presenter should have taken Raab to task over that comment.

Caught a bit on Radio 4 last night, just after 8pm, discussing brexit.

One UK commentator offered the view that some/a lot of EU freight companies may well decide not to take UK destined work after 1/1/21. Might adopt a wait and see approach. Big costs involved if vehicles and drivers are waiting around for hours. Who is responsible for time critical cargo, fresh food, JIT parts. So the problem might not be massive queues but the absence of or a marked reduction in vehicles crossing by ferry or the tunnel.

He raised the issue of the UK just waving through all vehicles in the early days as they try and come to grips with the problems. And of course, the more you look at the problems, the more you find.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I told ya wrote: »
    Caught a bit on Radio 4 last night, just after 8pm, discussing brexit.

One UK commentator offered the view that some/a lot of EU freight companies may well decide not to take UK destined work after 1/1/21. Might adopt a wait and see approach. Big costs involved if vehicles and drivers are waiting around for hours. Who is responsible for time critical cargo, fresh food, JIT parts. So the problem might not be massive queues but the absence of or a marked reduction in vehicles crossing by ferry or the tunnel.

He raised the issue of the UK just waving through all vehicles in the early days as they try and come to grips with the problems. And of course, the more you look at the problems, the more you find.

Will the French customs be waving through the trucks - even empty ones? SPS checks still needed, plus passports, licences, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm 100% positive he said exactly this. I was shocked and my wife confirmed that it was what he had said. It was very shortly after he was replaced as Brexit secretary.

I don't have a link. I don't even know the station she had tuned in to. Some local station, I don't think it was any BBC thing. I was travelling between the M4 junction and the M1 junction at the time and my wife had just scanned the band for something to listen to.

Absolutely no evidence of this I can find. And he wouldn't be foreign secretary if he did.

That's not to say he hasn't been guilty of some howlers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think this kind of commentary is almost becoming the norm - the difference now being that it's being uttered by those in power and not just the more extreme voices on the fringes of politics.

My issue is that it's not being called out by the interviewers. The other day Moore McDowell was on Newstalk speaking about the Covid vaccine which he likened it to an old cowboy movie with the wagons circled and surrounded by 'Indians' and the cavalry coming over the hill being akin to the vaccine arriving. Though he didn't say so the implication was that the 'Indians' were akin to the virus and the interviewer said nothing.

I wonder is it all down to the nature of social media and the clicks, likes and comments that the broadcasters feed off and consequently they're only too happy to allow these gaffs because of the response they generate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Will the French customs be waving through the trucks - even empty ones? SPS checks still needed, plus passports, licences, etc.

No and why should they potentially compromise their SPS protocol's and security etc by not carrying out the same checks on inbound UK traffic/people from Jan 1st that they carry out on inbound traffic/people from all other 3rd countries?

I've no idea what the French will do. My own view is that they will observe EU rules.

Just in case I was unclear, the commentator I was referring to sounded English, said that the UK might wave through all vehicles, not the French. What the implications of that would be I've no idea.

Another view might be that the UK will wave through the stuff they need urgently.

As I said I only got a small bit of the programme. Will see if I can get it on the website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Haven't been paying any attention to this at all over the last few weeks. What's the low down at the minute. Are they likely to leave without a deal in a few weeks?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

SNIP. No memes please.

54and56 wrote: »
    No and why should they potentially compromise their SPS protocol's and security etc by not carrying out the same checks on inbound UK traffic/people from Jan 1st that they carry out on inbound traffic/people from all other 3rd countries?

Leading to the interesting situation that EU exports to the UK would not be affected, but UK exports to the EU would be blocked.
    Taking back control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I told ya wrote: »
    I've no idea what the French will do. My own view is that they will observe EU rules.

You don't need to have your own view - we know what the French will do, because they did a dry-run of it last week ... and shut down the M20 in Kent as a result. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

cml387 wrote: »
    Absolutely no evidence of this I can find. And he wouldn't be foreign secretary if he did.

I'll try to get an exact date from my diary of that year, but it would have been 2018, probably late in the year.

It's purely anecdotal on my part, of course, but I remember being shocked and angry at the hubris of the man. I was driving, so obviously my attention wasn't entirely on the radio, but I asked my wife if I had heard what I thought. She confirmed what I heard. I can't remember the whole sentence, but it was something like 'you can't trust the filthy French'. I think it was a phone interview.

The male interviewer just carried on as if nothing unusual had been said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

A reminder here that Boris Johnson is also a previous foreign secretary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd a look and found nothing. I feel like something like that would be considered newsworthy by the Guardian and other pro-Remain outlets. If nothing else, politicians are rarely so direct and unreserved.

That Indy link is quite damning to be honest. I thought the Dover-Calais thing was his highlight but somehow he conflated the Irish and Red Seas.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Unexpected Brexit bonus: [EU] commission wants to tighten the rules on the funding of political parties in the EU to avoid foreign interference.
    The “dirty methods” of the Brexit referendum have been cited as a reason for new EU laws aimed at tackling disinformation and forcing online platforms including Facebook to publicly disclose the identity of people and entities funding political adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

Haven't been paying any attention to this at all over the last few weeks. What's the low down at the minute. Are they likely to leave without a deal in a few weeks?

Still in confidential negotiations and have been for a while. Since it's all up in the air till it's all sorted there is little known.

It is certain though that there will be compromises but it is also certain that the UK will have less access than it did as a member.

As for no-deal hard bargaining is one thing but its a Tory party political calculation to see if the infighting that will occur over ANY deal is worth the risk ( holding the red wall seats etc etc vs ERG ). However, Boris' was elected to get a deal.

Bear in mind that the infighting won't all be on the British side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No - Single Market rules are extremely strict and "waving through" anything would be a serious breach (and would be a slippery slope for the Market).

Strazdas wrote: »
    No - Single Market rules are extremely strict and "waving through" anything would be a serious breach (and would be a slippery slope for the Market).

I think the French have made it clear the only waving they will be doing in Jan 2021 will be to say goodbye to the UK.

The real question is as to how far they will go, and will they be over zealous in their endeavours to make sure all rules are followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

Bear in mind that the infighting won't all be on the British side.

True but remember the Rule of Law and EU Budget fighting with Poland and Hungary is taking up much of the political oxygen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,769 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think the French have made it clear the only waving they will be doing in Jan 2021 will be to say goodbye to the UK.

The real question is as to how far they will go, and will they be over zealous in their endeavours to make sure all rules are followed.

Ya I would see the French as being more likely to to purposefully hold thing up to annoy the UK than wave stuff through.

I'm sure we can expect a French dockworkers strike any day now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Racist towards who?

Other races of people?

The clue is in the name.

She also has a weird "ladder up", I'm all right jack attitude.

A thoroughly loathsome character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'd a look and found nothing. I feel like something like that would be considered newsworthy by the Guardian and other pro-Remain outlets. If nothing else, politicians are rarely so direct and unreserved.

That Indy link is quite damning to be honest. I thought the Dover-Calais thing was his highlight but somehow he conflated the Irish and Red Seas.

Just in case you want to continue to try to find this, according to my diary of the year in question, it was on the 23rd of November 2018 at around 6pm. My destination was about an hour away, and I arrived there shortly after 7pm.

The reason I gave the approximate position on the M25 was because it seemed to be a local radio station. Maybe it was because of this that it might have slipped under the radar and gone unnoticed. But it was definitely Raab, and we both definitely heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good luck finding any public diary for Raab for that time period, as his diary secretary of the rough time period got embroiled in a sex scandal that has killed the Google results!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just in case you want to continue to try to find this, according to my diary of the year in question, it was on the 23rd of November 2018 at around 6pm. My destination was about an hour away, and I arrived there shortly after 7pm.

The reason I gave the approximate position on the M25 was because it seemed to be a local radio station. Maybe it was because of this that it might have slipped under the radar and gone unnoticed. But it was definitely Raab, and we both definitely heard it.

Raab was giving an interview for a local Irish station? Odd but fair enough.

It's not that important. I just wanted to hear it for myself for the reasons I have above.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I would say they were in London on the M25.

It might be PM on Radio 4 around that time. I would say it's unlikely (though not impossible) he was on local radio. He had just resigned as Brexit secretary so the media would be hanging on his every word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Raab was giving an interview for a local Irish station? Odd but fair enough.

It's not that important. I just wanted to hear it for myself for the reasons I have above.

Hi
    I think the other poster was referring to the UK, they mentioned the M25, a ring road around London.

Hi
    I think the other poster was referring to the UK, they mentioned the M25, a ring road around London.

Well done. Main roads in Ireland are called by "N", aren't they? Missed that completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well done. Main roads in Ireland are called by "N", aren't they? Missed that completely.

There are motorways in Ireland like

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    There are motorways in Ireland like

I'm aware of that. I'm referring specifically to nomenclature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement