Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm aware of that. I'm referring specifically to nomenclature.

Motorways in Ireland start with M

National roads are denoted N. Equivalent of an A road I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Raab was giving an interview for a local Irish station? Odd but fair enough.

It's not that important. I just wanted to hear it for myself for the reasons I have above.

My fault. I should have specified that it was the London circular car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

As from the end of the transition period, persons entering the EU or Northern
    Ireland from Great Britain with goods are subject to VAT and customs duties,
    and, where applicable, excise duty.
    Advice: Travellers are advised to familiarise themselves with the rules
    concerning duty free allowances and only go through the green customs exit
    ("green channel") if they have no more than the maximum quantities allowed.

ouch... on UK internal flights lol

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/travelling_en_3.pdf

just reading this
    motor vehicles registered in the United Kingdom and driving in an EU
    Member State not party to the Vienna Convention will have to display the
    State of registration separately at the rear of the motor vehicle.

do the Nordies have to put uk on their plates now ?

trellheim wrote: »
    just reading this

Don't you mean GB plates, (UK is unallocated)

PS "GBI" is also available.

• Advertisement

gb then but the point remains ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

trellheim wrote: »

I think some info was posted the other day indicating that they don't have to identify themselves as long as they stay on the island.

It'll be interesting to see if people coming back to Dublin (or any of the regional airports if they're still in operation after Covid) from their quick trip to Blighty will remember that they've been to a proper foreign country and need to go through the Green channel instead of the Blue. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1334945074505986053

Not looking good at all.

Imagine ruining your economy over fish...

EoaosELW8AI3AdF?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sounds to me like "No Deal" it is then.

I honestly can't see this game being played beyond Monday or Tuesday before there's no option but to call it. Brits seem to be fully intent on chaos no matter how much damage it causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭Patser

Oooohhh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There will be a deal, but GB will claim victory no matter how much they might need to concede, along with EU.

Otherwise as a pp said, they just want chaos to ensue and will blame it on everyone else anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Think i'm calling no deal now. Mood music not good.

It's not within the EU's, or member states like France', comprehension to accept the UK as a sovereign, independent country free to chart it's own course in the world.

The demands on fishing and the level playing field go way beyond what any self governing country would be expected to accept.

That's the simple reality of the situation.

EU needs to accept the UK is an independent country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

It's not within the EU's, or member states like France', comprehension to accept the UK as a sovereign, independent country free to chart it's own course in the world.

The demands on fishing and the level playing field go way beyond what any self governing country would be expected to accept.

You mean like the level playing field provisions in the UK- Japan deal?

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why is UK still in negotiations though? They could have fecked off already. But no, they are still there tentatively, 4 years on. Something seems to be worth negotiating for.

But if No Deal, so be it, nothing anyone can do about it. EU will adapt and give support to places like here anyway. I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Eh ... they do. That's why they're negotiating with them (as a sovereign independent country) the terms and conditions for access to one of the world's most lucrative markets ... which also just happens to be GB's largest trading partner.

But hey, if GB wants to walk away and take their fish with them, I'm sure there are plenty of other countries that'd like to come and plunder their stocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Oh dear - the UK wants privileged access to the single market and are not offering sufficient in return for that privilege you blame France!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The best solution for the UK is for the UK to walk. Nothing stopping them. They could have walked any single day in the past one thousand five hundred and sixty two days. They can go today and stride purposefully into that glorious future and let the British lion roar. Yet they're still here. They have shat themselves and are refusing to leave the room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The best solution for the UK is for the UK to walk. Nothing stopping them. They could have walked any single day in the past one thousand five hundred and sixty two days. They can go today and stride purposefully into that glorious future and let the British lion roar. Yet they're still here. It's as if they have shat themselves and are refusing to leave the room.

Part of me hopes for the most catastrophic disaster possible on 1 January. It's the only way enough people will see this for the mess that it is instead of constantly trying to justify it by contorting themselves.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Part of me hopes for the most catastrophic disaster possible on 1 January. It's the only way enough people will see this for the mess that it is instead of constantly trying to justify it by contorting themselves.

Part of me also want so see that. Then the other part of me remembers that we are literally attached to them and would suffer too.....sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Part of me also want so see that. Then the other part of me remembers that we are literally attached to them and would suffer too.....sigh

And they would blame everyone but themselves; never in modern history has a country more deserved to be taken behind the woodshed; those tories with their “greatest country ever” are reprehensible

Maybe. I think the problem might be that the solid and perennial 42% Brexiteers are now welded to a hard Brexit. The 42% who will elect the Tories again. It's akin to a religious faith. So, despite the collapse of the British economy after Brexit, they will still believe. The EU will be Satan and people will keep their faith in Brexit.

The language and tone of The Telegraph, Mail and Express is becoming even more shrill and divisive (as if that were possible) and they're setting the tone for blame. The EU, France and Ireland are the baddies today and will be throughout 2021. Nothing to do with Johnson and the Tories. They were the helpless good guys just trying to do the right thing and all would be sunny uplands if only the EU had stopped being so mean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No matter what happens there will be pain; a swift kick in the balls is the fastest way for them to come back to something remotely to their senses. And if the Brexiteers are to be believed they will be more prosperous than ever; either way it's going to end the whole fiasco the fastest way one way or the other rather than drag the pain out. With Trump going away and Brexit finally materializing it will hopefully put an end to four very miserable years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nothing can be done about that sadly except pray that Dublin and Brussels have made good use of the last 4 and a half years.
    Maybe. I think the problem might be that the solid and perennial 42% Brexiteers are now welded to a hard Brexit. The 42% who will elect the Tories again. It's akin to a religious faith. So, despite the collapse of the British economy after Brexit, they will still believe. The EU will be Satan and people will keep their faith in Brexit.

The language and tone of The Telegraph, Mail and Express is becoming even more shrill and divisive (as if that were possible) and they're setting the tone for blame. The EU, France and Ireland are the baddies today and will be throughout 2021. Nothing to do with Johnson and the Tories. They were the helpless good guys just trying to do the right thing and all would be sunny uplands if only the EU had stopped being so mean.

I don't buy that 42% figure. There's a reason Cummings went with "Get Brexit done" as the slogan. People want some form of it but can't agree on what so until it's defined, it can't really be properly opposed.

I don't think the tabloids are much of a force beyond a certain portion of the population either. Johnson faced Jeremy Corbyn and still came away with well below half the popular vote. That's pretty damming if you ask me.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I will channel Dr Strange here, "We're in the endgame now".

It will now be up to the leaders to move. So we will see how this will go, will Johnson move like most of us think, or will the EU give enough concessions to make a deal?

I think it is up to Johnson, if he doesn't move then it will be no-deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

For me I'd rather see a no deal not because I hate the British people themselves but because I despise the conservative party and their leader's who have deliberately and intentionally led a campaign of lies, deceit and gaslighting bullshít since 2016. They spout on about "Sovereignty" but only when it applies to themselves they don't care that they're happy to walk over the COLLECTIVE SOVEREIGNTY of other's demanding economic damage on them if they don't get their own way even though this would pulverize them the worst.

We've had 4 years of this carryon, they were given every chance for a balanced deal and even extensions to the transition period that they've not only refused but thrown all sorts of insults and pathetic threats at the rest when they were not getting their own way. Honestly at this point it's gone on long enough and it would be better to to basically say this is what's required to access the single market, either accept this or there's the door, don't let your tory áss hit it on the way out and accept the consequences of your refusal to respect OUR sovereignty.

These chancers, clowns and wasters need to own the problem they created and if they wish to trade it be made very clear that if they really want a trade deal these conditions are basic mandatory requirements because of past behavior.
    Honestly all anyone here needs to do is wait for a few year's and internal forces will solve alot of the problem's as both a United Ireland and Independent Scotland take shape all because of Conservative Arrogance. At the end of the day you can't reason with idiot's only deal with them and expecially those who abuse power for their own self interest and enrichment.

I don't buy that 42% figure. There's a reason Cummings went with "Get Brexit done" as the slogan. People want some form of it but can't agree on what so until it's defined, it can't really be properly opposed.

The average of six Deltapoll polls (Don't Knows removed) over the past twelve months to November 2020:

If there was another referendum on Britain's membership of the EU, how would you vote?

Remain: 52%
    Leave: 48%

The average of ten YouGov polls (Don't Knows removed) over the past three months to November 2020:

In hindsight, do you think the UK was right or wrong to leave the EU?

Right: 45%
    Wrong: 55%
    I don't think the tabloids are much of a force beyond a certain portion of the population either. Johnson faced Jeremy Corbyn and still came away with well below half the popular vote. That's pretty damming if you ask me.

It's damning but that doesn't matter. It's a FPTP country. You can get a majority in the UK with just over a third of the votes. Them's the rules. And if there were an election in the morning, the Tories would be re-elected.

Alex Andreou has repeatedly and eloquently made the observation that the Tories are trading Britain's soft power for hard power. Brexit is effectively stripping the engine out of the soft power machine and network they've cultivate since the seventies. Add in Sunak's recent lowering of the foreign aid budget from 0.7 to 0.5% of GDP and we basically have near total evaporation of soft power, arguably the largest soft power pool in the world and for what? They seem to think new kit for soldiers will make up for it but I can't see Russia, India, China or the US caring too much about their QE2 aircraft carrier and whatever else the taxpayer's money is about to be frittered away on.

The average of six Deltapoll polls (Don't Knows removed) over the past twelve months to November 2020:

If there was another referendum on Britain's membership of the EU, how would you vote?

Remain: 52%
    Leave: 48%

The average of ten YouGov polls (Don't Knows removed) over the past three months to November 2020:

In hindsight, do you think the Uk was right or wrong to leave the EU?

Right: 45%
    Wrong: 55%

It's damning but that doesn't matter. It's a FPTP country. You can get a majority in the UK with just over a third of the votes. Them's the rules. And if there were an election in the morning, the Tories would be re-elected.

I thought you were going by the 2019 election results, not a poll.

It's hard to know what way a new referendum would go. I'd say a solid remain win as I don't know what leave would be campaigned on. It doesn't matter anyway.

• Advertisement

I thought you were going by the 2019 election results, not a poll.

It's hard to know what way a new referendum would go. I'd say a solid remain win as I don't know what leave would be campaigned on. It doesn't matter anyway.

No, you're right. It makes for interesting discussion but it doesn't matter a damn. It's a very Hard Brexit or Crash Out now. Have to keep biting my tongue. I won't say that I wish they'd just foxtrot oscar immediately and forever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement