Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

peter kern wrote: »
    [/B][/B]

this used to be quite a good thread but it seems to be going down to tabloid paper level

I think that post was a humorous reference to a Daily Mail "Eat British" article posted earlier in the thread. My personal favourite British meal was chips and toast.

When they're printing stuff like that and trying to portray it as a good thing you have to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Are jokes not allowed anymore?

there was a good post where is was pointed out that it wasnt a good decison by boris to make a joke about the french at the dinner . i think the same applies at when a discussion heats up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Politically, it doesn't matter how bad the UK economy gets as BoJo can always blame Coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mrunsure wrote: »
    Politically, it doesn't matter how bad the UK economy gets as BoJo can always blame Coronavirus.

Not sure how that will work when stg is tanking against the Euro while They had a head start on the Covid vaccination program

Huge queues at Calais as British companies stockpile raw materials before brexit day. Those stockpiles will only last a few weeks, and then we’ll see factories shutting down and workers getting laid off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So a no Deal means the British fishermen have less people fishing in their waters, bigger hauls and more fish to sell, but no access to the European market to sell it?
    And probably no access to EU waters. (Except if covered by pre-EU treaties most of which allow reciprocal access to UK waters.)

And they will now have less access than Norway, who are now threatening to block UK access to their waters, and more importantly get the EU blocked too which won't win any brownie points in Brussels.

So the UK will loose a lot of fish processing jobs as Norwegian fish will probably get processed in Poland, because tariff rules. And the UK will loose processing jobs because again tariffs. And now Norwegian fish farms now have better access than Scotland. And the UK have let Scotland down on the booze exports to the US.

A severe case of didn't think it through. Because Brexit means when you shoot yourself in the foot you use both barrels.

Fishing is a red herring. Only important because it can be explained to the man in the street later on as an example of incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Trolling posts and responses deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For balance

The only positive news for the UK car industry in years. All the other good news stories have been stays of execution.

Batteries are such a large part of an electric vehicle that importing them would make UK cars fall foul on the Rules Of Origin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55262400
    Britishvolt signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Welsh Government in July to build the plant in St Athan, Vale of Glamorgan.

However, the 3,000-job factory will be built in Blyth, Northumberland, after Britishvolt said it would not invest in Wales earlier this month.

Given that this plant would be critical to the future survival of the UK car industry one wonders what grants they squeezed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,603 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So have we put measures in place to make sure we have other sources of flour, potatoes grain etc etc, as I thought we got the majority of our food imports from the uk.
    If we have secured another source of grain/ flour/potatoes, is it going to be more expensive than the uk grain we currently import?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

tom1ie wrote: »
    So have we put measures in place to make sure we have other sources of flour, potatoes grain etc etc, as I thought we got the majority of our food imports from the uk.
    If we have secured another source of grain/ flour/potatoes, is it going to be more expensive than the uk grain we currently import?

Yes and you will be paying more.

theballz wrote: »
    Yes and you will be paying more.

But there won’t be any shortages I take it?
    How much more will we be paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Tom1e

generally speaking extra transport costs from near Continental Europe will be 50/60 euro per tonne. Paying tafiffs from Uk MAY be cheaper ( I dont know to whom the Tariff would be paid , perhaps Ireland)

rugbyman wrote: »
    Tom1e

generally speaking extra transport costs from near Continental Europe will be 50/60 euro per tonne. Paying tafiffs from Uk MAY be cheaper ( I dont know to whom the Tariff would be paid , perhaps Ireland)

Ok so whatever happens, from jan 1st we will be paying extra on goods.
    I suppose the main thing is are we looking at shortages of products, be that food or other goods?
    Also if you order something on line from the uk before 31st December and the product gets held up in this mess, can you be charged customs if the product arrives
    After jan 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I suppose the main thing is are we looking at shortages of products, be that food or other goods?
    if you order something on line from the uk before 31st December and the product gets held up in this mess, can you be charged customs if the product arrives
    After jan 1st?

A lot of talk has been that a months grace will be given. So while additional costs would be due from jan 1st they won’t be enforced until Feb 1st.

So if you bring in a Car in late December to pay VRT on it and don’t get it done
    Until January you will be left off on the 2020 arrangement. VAT is due on packages above a value of €23 euros (or thereabouts) but it might not be enforced for 30’days.

But that’s just talk and nothing is definitive, presumably if a No deal is announced we will be told then.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

So what will happen to the Irish beef market - if their is a no-deal in monetary terms?

I would expect the EU to support the beef SECTOR if a no deal.
    farmers don't go out looking for customers they usually just sell to factories who themselves secure buyers in UK/EU..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Also if you order something on line from the uk before 31st December and the product gets held up in this mess, can you be charged customs if the product arrives
    After jan 1st?
    If the goods are shipped before midnight on the 31st they retain their union status even if they don't actually make it out of the UK or into the EU by midnight. This has all been agreed in some detail. Even the case of part of a ship's load being loaded before midnight at British port A bring union goods whereas goods loaded onto the same ship at British port B after midnight may not necessarily be union goods.

For online stuff it should be very straightforward. If the shipping date is still in 2020 it should be waved through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MikeSoys wrote: »
    So what will happen to the Irish beef market - if their is a no-deal in monetary terms?

I would expect the EU to support the beef SECTOR if a no deal.
    farmers don't go out looking for customers they usually just sell to factories who themselves secure buyers in UK/EU..
    What happens in the immediate aftermath of no deal will be largely decided by what tariffs if any the UK decide to apply to all beef coming in. They may just leave things as is initially or add small tariffs.

If Johnson slaps 40% on beef from day one the prices will skyrocket in the UK and Johnson will be a fairly unpopular man.

There's a lot of scope to continue most of our agri-food exports to the UK. We are right next door and they do need the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Apparently, Johnson is already planning a £10 billion bailout for sheep farmers, fishermen, car manufacturers and chemical factories:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1337876688001183746

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A lot of talk has been that a months grace will be given. So while additional costs would be due from jan 1st they won’t be enforced until Feb 1st.

So if you bring in a Car in late December to pay VRT on it and don’t get it done
    Until January you will be left off on the 2020 arrangement. VAT is due on packages above a value of €23 euros (or thereabouts) but it might not be enforced for 30’days.

But that’s just talk and nothing is definitive, presumably if a No deal is announced we will be told then.

The rules for cars purchased in the UK are laid out on the revenue.ie website. Look it up if it affects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

So Michael Martin is on Andrew Marr in the morning.

Should be interesting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Apparently, Johnson is already planning a £10 billion bailout for sheep farmers, fishermen, car manufacturers and chemical factories:

Who is going to pay for it?

With all the money sloshing about during the COVID-19 pandemic and now this, no matter what they say, there is going to have to be some serious stealth taxes or austerity in order to pay for it and no doubt it will be the most hard pressed in society who will need to foot the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

For balance

The only positive news for the UK car industry in years. All the other good news stories have been stays of execution.

Batteries are such a large part of an electric vehicle that importing them would make UK cars fall foul on the Rules Of Origin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55262400

Given that this plant would be critical to the future survival of the UK car industry one wonders what grants they squeezed out.

I know a thing or two about the car industry but honestly, who the f*ck is Britishvolt?
    Now, perhaps it is a new startup, but if they were relying on Aston Martin as their principal customer, they would not need 3k workers.
    The Battery industry is dominated by Asians - Koreans and Chinese - and they are building plants in Germany and Poland mainly, rules of origin help.
    The only connection to Northumberland is the nearby Nissan plant, but I would assume they have a supply chain for batteries already, based on the Leaf and Renault’s Zoe. It is all rather strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭20silkcut

yagan wrote: »
    That sounds good but 9 out of the 10 poorest regions in northern Europe are in the UK, and mostly in the former industrial centres of the north.
    https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-uk-has-9-out-of-the-10-poorest-regions-in-northern-europe/06/06/

Self inflicted poverty driven by a zealous implementation of a flawed ideology. And now they are about to do it all over again on the rest of the U.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭salonfire

Project Fear has become Project Near. In January, it will be Project Here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

54and56 wrote: »
    So Michael Martin is on Andrew Marr in the morning.

Should be interesting.

I do wish he wouldn't bother. I don't think Irish politicians going on UK TV/Radio shows and lecturing the British has been helpful at all tbh. Coveney in particular won't shut up and it just further entrenches the Brexiters arrogance and pig headed attitude.

They aren't going to effect or influence anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭maebee

If this isn't an admission that Brexit is a really bad idea, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭kalych

devnull wrote: »
    Who is going to pay for it?

With all the money sloshing about during the COVID-19 pandemic and now this, no matter what they say, there is going to have to be some serious stealth taxes or austerity in order to pay for it and no doubt it will be the most hard pressed in society who will need to foot the bill.

Bailouts work for short-term unforseen circumstances to get businesses over a hurdle with clear end in sight. You can't bail out businesses against a permanent change in their trading arrangements.

Sure, you can give them enough money to survive for a year, two years even. But unless BoJo is planning on rejoining the EU single market by then at some point that bailout money will run out and these businesses will fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I do wish he wouldn't bother. I don't think Irish politicians going on UK TV/Radio shows and lecturing the British has been helpful at all tbh. Coveney in particular won't shut up and it just further entrenches the Brexiters arrogance and pig headed attitude.

He isn't forcing his way into the studio. They obviously want his and Coveney's view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ElJeffe wrote: »

You're consistent anyway with your daily hot take detached from the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

maebee wrote: »
    If this isn't an admission that Brexit is a really bad idea, I don't know what is.

It’s also illegal under their beloved WTO rules; wait and see how much of the bailout goes to donors, like the PPE contracts, rather than the large multinationals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Jizique wrote: »
    It’s also illegal under their beloved WTO rules; wait and see how much of the bailout goes to donors, like the PPE contracts, rather than the large multinationals

They announce this as if it is of no consequence, but just think of the implications of it. Tory government policy is going to cause the damage to those industries and then they are going to use billions of pounds of taxpayers money to bail out said sectors. This would nearly cause street demonstrations or even riots in any other country - there's no way only those four sectors will be affected by No Deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement